Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo calipers and rotors (big reds) on a standard C2 - any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Turbo calipers and rotors (big reds) on a standard C2 - any issues?

Hi,

I have recently ordered a complete set of refinished 993 turbo brake calipers (w/rotors and pads) from LA Dismantler, and I am trying to figure out if there are any issues with the install that I have to be aware of before the goodies arrive. Some say they are bolt-on, others say I need adapters...but so far I haven't got any final answers on this matter.

The car is a '94 C2 (narrow body) with standard black calipers and rotors. Do I need any adapters for the "new" brakes to fit, and will they cause any problems with my 8x18 (ET42) and 10x18 (ET47) wheels? And what about the dust shields behind the rotors, they will probably not fit the bigger turbo rotors...can I just remove them or should I get new shields for 993 turbo as well?

Appreciate any help!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I just performed this swap myself, purchased from LA Dismantlers also. Totally bolt on swap, no adapters needed. I even used the C2 caliper bolts. The turbo rear caliper bolts would be ideal, because they are slightly longer, but there is plenty of thread engagement with the standard bolts. C2 dust shields also fit. Do not see any problem with your 18" wheels either. The most difficult step for me was loosening the rear brake lines. My C2 was a 97.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Thanks, Wolfk...that sounds promising! I guess I'll just have to wait until the brakes arrive and try the swap myself. But, how come there are so many different opinions about this? Even a local Porsche dealer here in Norway said I needed adapters. Strange.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Wolfk
Racer

I believe you need adapters if you are installing big reds on a 964. I also believe your early 993 should be bolt on. If you do a search for Bill Verburg in the forum, he has several posts on this topic. The spacers on my hubs are there just to get more offset with the wheels I was using.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 AM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many brake caliper bolts are a one time use "torque to yield" component. I would recommend replacing them. Not from any negative experience just from my own research on the subject last year. Porsche has changed specification on those bolts several times over the years and the current bolts may be obsolete (That was the case on my Boxster anyway).

Wolfk your wheelwells look awesome- I'm jealous.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Originally Posted by G-MASSA
Many brake caliper bolts are a one time use "torque to yield" component. I would recommend replacing them. Not from any negative experience just from my own research on the subject last year. Porsche has changed specification on those bolts several times over the years and the current bolts may be obsolete (That was the case on my Boxster anyway).
Thanks, I'll replace them just to be sure.

Wolfk your wheelwells look awesome- I'm jealous.
+1 to that!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

+2
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I would check caliper piston area differences between the original and replacement calipers. For example if the regular black calipers have the same total piston area ( sum of all the pistons per caliper) as the Turbo calipers I would think the brake balance / feel would be maintained. Also the front to back axle caliper piston area ratio should be maintained. Just thinking about front to rear brake balance. Another way to check this is to look up both braking systems in the catalog and see if the turbo uses the same part numbers for valveing and other active components in the Braking system
Can some other Rennlisters chime in on this issue as it probably involves some known facts to guys who race or auto-cross.
Andy
Andy
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Issues? Keeping your eyes in your skull when you need to stop in a hurry
Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Piston areas and F/R ratios are different with the turbo calipers as compared to the standard calipers as Andy mentioned. However, I found it to have no effect on street driving. In fact braking feel did not change at all with the swap. There are no weird braking dynamics. Although, I am no Michael Schumacher, and never driven the car in competition. My swap was done mostly for cosmetics. I wonder what Oystein's goals are.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
oysteinw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wolfk
I wonder what Oystein's goals are.
My car will be used both on street (40%) as well as on trackday events (60%). I must admit that this is partly for cosmetic reasons, but I was also hoping that it would be a nice performance upgrade. Time will show, I guess.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 400 Posts

In the immortal words of the late Ray Calvo, use the search function, there is more detail than most will want to know about
Old 05-21-2013, 08:09 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
In the immortal words of the late Ray Calvo, use the search function, there is more detail than most will want to know about
No kidding. Especially the part about ending up with "better" braking..................
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Some people ( including Bill Verburg ) have called the big reds "the hand of God". Not sure about that, but I drive mostly alone. I forget how hard I can brake until the occasional passenger reacts with a gasp.
Main benefit is repeatable performance under worst case conditions on the track. For the street, no real benefit.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:10 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

I'm sorry if I bothered you guys with questions that already have been asked by others earlier. I did try the search function, but some times I find it hard to narrow the search down to provide exactly the results (and answers) I am looking for in my specific case.

I guess I went for the "easy (lazy?) option". I will try harder next time...

Quick Reply: Turbo calipers and rotors (big reds) on a standard C2 - any issues?