Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Reload this Page >

9m93 Speedster S #4 from 8000 mile RHD 993 Convertible. What colour?

Notices

9m93 Speedster S #4 from 8000 mile RHD 993 Convertible. What colour?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by certz View Post

Slate grey over black.
Originally Posted by NEK View Post

Slate gray on dark red or black.
Originally Posted by JPP View Post

non-metallic Slate Grey over Red
AMGfan's:
Originally Posted by AMGfan View Post

We met today on color schemes... decided on Slate Grey and a bourdeaux/black interior.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hold on. If Red in Slate Grey is AMGfan's idea I'm definitely not going to steal it. Come on lads, you have to try harder than this. Maybe what's happening is that someone suggests a color and it takes a few weeks before the acceptance dribbles back into our psyche, then all of a sudden it is the most popular color in the World because we've forgotten what context we read about it but now our subconscious is telling us it is the best?

You all know Ninemeister; so since when did we ever do anything conventionally? I should not have to say to you guys that we need to rearrange these words into a well known phrase: Box. Outside. Think. The. Of. Please have fun with this, you never know what we might conjure up between us.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Summary:

White. Can't do it Carrara White because of Arpad's but I'm liking the retro 72RS theme with red (or blue) on GP White.

Grey. Yes, seeing that especially with an accent colour like the 997RS. Metallic Slate Grey is out because that's AMGFan's choice for his conversion.

Black. Nightmare to keep clean. Let's face it, we can do better although it is classy.

Silver. Hints of 550 spyder with red interior? This was the colour of the donor car so would be an easy choice, but really? Just how many silver cars are there on the roads these days?

Primaries:
Red. Sure JP & Jager would be delighted.......

Orange. Blood has been ear-marked for the new 9m93GT2 so that's out, maybe Continental?

Yellow. Ain't gonna miss it. My fave colour on an RS (wonder why) - but this is not an RS.

Green. I'm really liking green, in many shades and have always had a soft spot for Teal. Trouble is, it's the least popular colour of all in the UK but do we care? It would work well with the brown interior, but now thinking chocolate limes....

Blue. Maritime blue is an excellent Speedster colour but we've just built a 9m93RS in Maritime. Marc also hates pastel colours, so that probably eliminates Mint Green and Riviera even though I really like them. Pastel Blue is a 1971 Porsche colour, same as a car in our shop that is probably as light as we would go. Marc wants Blue Turquoise, I don't as the green in it does not photograph very easily.

Purples. Cadbury's purple would look stunning, but who wants a purple car? (Sale before/after completion is likely). Vesuvius would look great but not innovative enough on a 9m car.

What's coming out of this for me is a retro colour theme from a 27RS. Chartreuse, now there's an idea. Keep 'em coming, I think we're gonna get somewhere soon.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 AM
ericthepilot
User

I loved my Targa 4S grey: Atlas Grey with pearl effect.
As for interior: Black with Red deviant stitching.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM
evoderby
User

Originally Posted by NineMeister View Post
Whilst I admit we love the Blue/Titanium theme on Graham's #1 9m93 Speedster S we simply can't do another one as it would definitely steal his thunder, so where is the fun in that?

That said, we've already got the hardback seats for colour coding and no doubt it will end up on a custom set of KW's, however IF the car stays around with us beyond completion we may be in a position to slot in one of our new special project engines for evaluation and testing. Let's see, eh?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.
You're right on the blue Colin, in that case I am going to stick with another Ferrari Combo....

....chestnut brown / tan as found on Steve McQueen's beautiful Lusso!

http://jalopnik.com/5252193/steve-mc...own-do-for-you
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM
zechunique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not an expert on all the historic Porsche colors, but is there a choice that's between slate grey, and a darkish blue or maybe a hint of subtle dark green?

Just a thought.

For my money, it would be the blood orange. Whoever the GT2 guy is, he will really have something! And it speaks volumes that you protect your customers like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Floodj
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about some kind of 356 inspired two tone paint job.
Something nice and contrasty...like a bright blue body with some a yellow nose and strips down the headlights.

Or the three strips like on the 74(?) Carreras. Maybe silver with red strips with a matching silver with red highlights in the interior (red leather though).
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM
XR4Tim
User

I'm going to stick by Pearl White. I'd go with a red interior or black with white stitching.
I don't think a bright green would look good on a Speedster.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Nurburger
Addict
Rennlist Member

An actual 993 color would be my preference if I were choosing. Always been a fan of the aventurine green & Butzi's chocolate interior (except for the wood) suits the exterior hue perfectly.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
CalvinC4S
Super User

Continental Orange with dark green(almost charcoal) interior and wheels, like a 90's Ambercrombe & Fitch thing. It would be a good look for the speedster vibe.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
JPP
Super User

OK .. why not consider early colors .. the Speedster Porsche chose for the international introduction of the Speedster in 1954 at the Paris Auto Show was Terracotta enamel over dark blue leather, very unusual combo and it really looked beautiful. I can't find the photo of it from the archives but here's the Gmund Coupe from the museum and a die-cast Speedster in the same exterior paint color code 5409

How about trying the original red chosen for the Speedster in '54, Turkish Red, code 5402, or one of my favorites in 1956, Polyantha Red which is very close to it, but deeper, code 5602

Teal Green? How about Wimbledon ...

or the lighter version, Ocean Jade ...
Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
JPP
Super User

You thinking about purple? Amethyst Metallic .. offered as special order on 993's, 964's, 968's .. and now also on the new Cayenne and Panamera GTS:

Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
JPP
Super User

^^^ BTW .. Marc and I saw a Panamera in Amethyst over Espresso/Congac two tone full leather at Rennsport IV .. it was STUNNING!! Ask him about it ... ;-P
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Marc W.
User

Amazonas-green with light-grey interior
or
Viola-metallic with rubikon interior like the 964 Jubi
or
British-racing green with beige soft-top and beige interior

That would be my choice, when I had the chance to (in the background)...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marc W.; 05-17-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
H.H.Chinn
Super User

This is the 1959 color stone gray. This with either a dark brown espresso, deep dark red or black leather interior!
Attached Images    

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9m93 Speedster S #4 from 8000 mile RHD 993 Convertible. What colour?

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: