Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

First DE day next weekend - any tips for getting the most out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 to most of the above. Have fun, listen to your instructor.

Go to YouTube and watch some laps of the track. DON'T worry about the line on that video, as you won't know if it is a good one or not. But DO try to remember the track that way (left, long straight, right hander, etc.). If you can show up to the track basically remembering how the track is laid out, the instructor can help you with the line as opposed to the layout.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your lug nut torques (96 ft-lbs) but don't tighten them when hot if you have alu lug nuts.

Don't use e-brake when you come off track - brake shoes will stick and your car won't move again.

Marc
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stickypatch
...Mike's tip about plenty of water is a good one. I'll be sure to take a few bottles...
a related tip...go to the bathroom before you get on the track...
Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

In addition to what has been said, I adjust my tire pressure as the day and laps get hotter.

Don't run out of gas / run hard on reserve.

Document your experience with a GoPro or Contour. If you can manage that without taking away from your learning experience / being a distraction, its great way to reflect on your DE.

Don't drive when your tired/exhausted (beware of red mist)

Have fun OP, and welcome to the addiction.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

My list of 100 things would be 1-99 listen to your instructor and 100 would be to bring a chair and a book.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
a related tip...go to the bathroom before you get on the track...
Yup, nothing like doing the "clench" while on throttle apexing the car ...
Old 05-12-2013, 02:18 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

The event I was at last weekend a bunch of ipad iphone users had installed an app called harrys laptimer. It has preloaded most tracks and automatically times your laps, give you avg speeds, corner speeds segment etc and no input required. Not that you are trying for laptimes but it's interesting to look after a morning and see where you were consistent etc. And then do some laps with it with an instructor in your car driving to see differences. It was entertaining and cool.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

FWIW, I've been an instructor for a student with that app and, IMHO, it's a distraction, especially for a novice. Many club DE schools prohibit timing, BMW CCA for one. It may be fine for upper intermediate and advanced students where permitted but I'm just an "Old School" type that wants my students to be concentrating on their driving, not their lap times.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

I hear you and agree probably not something to worry about the first few times. I think everyone learns differently. And there is no better teacher of why smooth and a good line works than timing for some people. Its sometimes deceptively fast or slow out of proportion of effort. Again, we used them after the fact while phone was just along for the ride in the pocket. Was useful for us and then go back out and try a different line through a series of corners.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my first DE last weekend and it was a blast. All of the advice here is great. I don't know what the weather is like in New Zealand but if it's hot be sure to dress appropriately and drink LOTS of water. It gets really hot being in the car and on the hot pavement all day. Have a great time!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pop over to the NZ forum. Youll find 1250 pages of information. A good deal of us over there track 993 and 964 regularly so plenty of advice can be given dependant on the track you are attending including tips on the lines...
Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You have your whole life to get better and faster so enjoy the learning experience and don't worry about impressing anyone. Mario Andretti once said most people take the slow turns too fast and the fast turns too slow. Build your speed and confidence in small increments. Pick a spot half way between the turn you just left the the next turn you are approaching and check you rpms at that exact spot each lap...that will tell you how well you are getting through the turn. When you come out of a turn and onto a straight away, first check your mirrors for someone overtaking you, then glance at you temp guage, then your oil pressure...then wiggle your fingers and wiggle your butt in your seat...then smile.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advices, but first DE is so overwhelming, that if OP remembers 10% of this, it's a good start.

My first DE I didn't even downshift before the corner as I was fighting the urge to brake too early while seeing the corner quickly approaching.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of great advice.

I spent 12 years racing vintage sports cars (MGB, Turner & Alfa) as well as more years than I can remember thrashing new cars around at International Motor Press Assn's annual "Test Day" a.k.a. Flaunt Your Incompetence Day, and have never gone out in a new car or at a new track without an instructor. It is just so helpful to have someone who knows the track and/or the car to help you learn.

Enjoy your DE. If it's hot stay hydrated! I used to drink 2 - 3 big bottles of a sports drink per race-day in warm weather. Yet hardly peed. That meant it just wasn't enough liquid.

If it's hot, use your A/C. Body temperature is critical. I have a Cool Shirt, and used a 2BeKool shirt (sadly they are out of business, but it really worked.) If cold, keep warm. I once wrote an article for a vintage racing magazine about the importance of controlling body temperature. I wish I could remember or easily find some of the info I learned for it. I think it may have been NASA research that found that a deviation of 1 degree in core temperature reduced the brain's ability to function by a pretty high percent.

I saw that evidenced when I used to race small sailboats in the Hudson River all winter. As it got colder, I went to a heavier wet suit. Kept me warm even after a capsize. Never lost my concentration. Almost always won races. Same principle applies with heat.

Most of all, remember - this is the FIRST of many DE's. Learn & enjoy. Don't go crazy trying to remember everything we all have posted here. Absorb it. When you get home, re-think your day. Make notes of things you want to learn the next time. And, sign up for another.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 PM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring some face lotion to avoid your skin from cracking from smiling too much...

Quick Reply: First DE day next weekend - any tips for getting the most out of it?