Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is there a trick for removing the plug wires from the distributor cap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
How often should one change caps, rotors, wires, plugs and distributor belt?
I replaced the lot during the spring of 2011...when my 993 was 16 years old. All items were still original at a relatively low 45K miles.

The lower ignition wires has small cracks in them. Not an issue in my case; I just wanted the whole system refreshed so that I am good for another 16 years.

Shop around for the cap and rotor prices. There was quite the difference between AutohausAZ and Pelican Parts at the time. The ignition leads can be had for about $155 since all you need to do is replace the leads (I made my own); the rubber end caps are usually fine.

The dual distributor belt and pin for the gear are well under $15.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I replaced the lot during the spring of 2011...when my 993 was 16 years old. All items were still original at a relatively low 45K miles.

The lower ignition wires has small cracks in them. Not an issue in my case; I just wanted the whole system refreshed so that I am good for another 16 years.

Shop around for the cap and rotor prices. There was quite the difference between AutohausAZ and Pelican Parts at the time. The ignition leads can be had for about $155 since all you need to do is replace the leads (I made my own); the rubber end caps are usually fine.

The dual distributor belt and pin for the gear are well under $15.
Thanks Alex! What was the condition of the distributor belt like at 45K miles?

Last edited by 96PCarrera993mg; 05-01-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
Thanks Alex! What was the condition like of the distributor belt at 45K miles?
My belt was fine, but our ambient temperatures very rarely go much above 90 in the summer, so my engine bay temperatures might be a lot cooler than those in the deep south. Your ambient temperatures might be similar to ours.

But replacing the belt gives you a chance to inspect the bearings...done by feel, although that isn't a 100% test.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bjornebo
I understand about labeling the wires. Great opportunity for confusion.
The tops of the caps should be marked (see below) and OEM wires are silk-screened with the plug and cap numbers.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 AM
bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Success!

I finally figured out that I wasn't twisting the booths far enough to free them from the cap posts. Once I did that taking them off was relatively easy (easy being a relative term given the limited space around the distributors).

I have the Beru wires with the silk screened numbers on them (they are in good shape; PO replaced ~30K ago). Between the numbers on the wires, the numbers on the caps, and Alex' excellent photos of where each wire goes and how each is routed WRT the other wires, I am sure that I got them back on correctly.

I wasn't up for pulling out the distributor and replacing the belt. Perhaps next time.

Quick Reply: Is there a trick for removing the plug wires from the distributor cap?