Found my first porsche - 993 4S

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Found my first porsche - 993 4S

1998 4S silver on black
Finally test drove my first 993...what a pleasure to drive this machine.

The car was traded in by a guy who has had it for 13 years (second owner). He traded it for 993 turbo.

Now here is a funny thing, after test drive and talking about PPI etc, I see 993TT pulls up. I jokingly say, "hey, the old owner is back". The sales lady looks at it, and says: "No way, it is him". So she asked him if he would be willing to talk about the car to me, to which he agreed. I think talking to prior owner for 20 min about all the issues and work that he has done, and the fact that he traded it only because he found 993tt gave me more confidence in the car than a PPI could. If this is not the best 993 I can find, I won't find one.

So here is what I know:
- All service has been done including recent 60k service. The car has 67k now. I'm going to call the shop to see if they remember the car. It wasn't dealer who did 60k service.
- H&R adjustable coil overs were put in a couple year ago. When I drove it, I let the wheel go and car was going straighter than my 4 year old SUV.
- HID full conversion. He say just changing the bulb is not a good idea as it burns hotter and can melt the old housing. So he replaced inside headlight assembly.
- He had the SAI issue which was address via cleaning, without taking engine apart, as he was very hesitant to take it apart. I would appreciate input on this point.
- Car is a great shape, everything works, and looks like it was taken care off.
- I will need a new clutch (dealer said 3k, I imagine I can find a shop to do it for less). The clutch still grips well.
- Dealer did PPI for another customer, but as we know those are not that extensive.

Dealer will let it go for 48k, which seems ok price for 4S. Other sales I saw were 45-47 range. I like WB and there are very few for sale. To me, this car has the best story it can. Owned by a Porsche enthusiast, who is active in PCA in NJ and wasn't even thinking of letting it go if not for 993tt.

I'm even thinking on passing up on PPI. Talking to the prior owner and seeing how he takes car of his car gave me a lot of comfort. I also don't want somebody taking half a car apart for extensive PPI.

Are there particular things I should pay more attention to myself? I shifted through all gears. Car doesn't pull. No smoke even on start up. No CEL, good paint. Would appreciate any help...almost a true member here. Pictures to come.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd still spring for the PPI, there could be other things that you don't see, or know. It may help negotiate the price down too. No PPI by the selling dealer!

You need to define what you want done in a "clutch job"-a complete redo isn't inexpensive, and with those miles, I'd almost guarantee there are "while you're in there" things to do. I'd not trust the dealer with the job, but there are exceptions. Usually recommended Indys are the better bet.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really like the car....spring for a PPI. There may actually be something that the PO was not aware of. Sounds like you may have found one,so Good Luck

Emerald
Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Neun 11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought the sibling of your car, a '97 C4S, silver/black, 51K miles, a couple weeks ago. I had the PPI done, but no leakdown based on the recommendation of a shop who knew the owner, and I am so thankful I did. Even if you don't spring for the full-bore with leakdown, another set of eyes are very good. They saw a couple things I completely overlooked. It's also good to have an objective feel for "what's next."

I had a beautiful Carrea 3.2 that I bought several years ago at 114K miles. I took it to an independent shop for a PPI, including leakdown, $400. The shop looked it over, top and bottom, drove it and said they recommended not to do the full PPI, that the car was solid and strong--no charge. I went with their advice and the car was fine the whole time I had it, but it really haunted me that I didn't have that check done. I had the leakdown done when I decided to sell the car and it came out great. But I would have slept easier if I had gone ahead and had that relatively inexpensive test done.

Relationship with the prior owner is certainly a huge factor, I think.

That's my opinion. That and $1 will get you a Coke in some places.

Good luck with the car. Love mine so far!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Neun 11
Instructor

Isn't that split grill specific to the C2S?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 PM
NYC993
Drifting

here are the pics

Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 PM
NYC993
Drifting

[/CENTER]
Originally Posted by Neun 11
No, the original black one is included. The PO bought the split one and painted it to match the car color. He like it better this way, and so do I.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you're right down the road from a handful of us!
i almost bought a C2 from SN, they are good people.
welcome to the forum, congrats on the new C4S and nice pictures
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Yup

Looks like the old owner swapped out the grill...
Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
you're right down the road from a handful of us!
i almost bought a C2 from SN, they are good people.
welcome to the forum, congrats on the new C4S and nice pictures
Any recommendations for PPI in the area? To me the car seemed rock solid, but what do I know.

How hard is it to do the leakdown test? I read it takes a while to do all 6 cylinders, and requires a bit of disassembly.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM
pmo75
Rennlist Member

Yes and the dealer shows a picture with the original grille stored in the front trunk.
Nicely optioned car.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Any recommendations for PPI in the area? To me the car seemed rock solid, but what do I know.

How hard is it to do the leakdown test? I read it takes a while to do all 6 cylinders, and requires a bit of disassembly.
SN is within about 20 minutes of two of us here.

SN has a good relationship and is familiar with BodyMotion, a highly regarded independent Porsche indy in Eatontown about 5 minutes down the road from them. they will take your car there and have BM do the PPI. I think when i inquired the PPI was $300 or less (last year). SN had no problem bringing them the car. BM will keep the car overnight and perform the lead down ect. they keep it locked up indoors overnight.

if theres anything you need please feel free to PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Sounds like a very nice car. Congrats and welcome NYC!!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd def get a PPI from the Indy suggested, including a compression test. The extra $ paid relative to purchase price of the car makes total sense.

Like others have stated, there may be some items not even the owner is aware of, good luck!

Quick Reply: Found my first porsche - 993 4S