Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY - SAI Port Clean-Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

great write up and seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for posting. The shop where my SAI was cleaned charges 1500 for clean out (although theirs is a bit more thorough I would think). I would def try this first.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad it worked for you as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Is there any reason to do the SAI valve at the same time I have the HE's off or is it ok to just do it next after this is buttoned up? Thanks guys. I have been putting this off for about a year and this was my motivation
I absolutely would do the check valve at the same time as it allows you to also flush the system from the top.

Here is a flushing style diy
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sh-no-cel.html

If you don't want to make your own sai valve solvent adapter you can buy the kit on pelican that includes the crow foot. That's what I did.

IMO, the absolute cleanest you can get the ports, the longer it is going to last. So much of the work is in getting to it, so spend an extra halfhour/hour cleaning and flushing AFTER you think you are done so you don't have to do it again for the longest time possible.

I guess for the record I should admit that I have not done the clean out, but I have worked on a fair bit of 2-cycle equipment that likes to clog since it burns oil by design and the extra time spent cleaning a port is time well spent. If that darn valve guide wasn't in the way, I'd suggest once it was unplugged taking a dremmel to the port and polishing it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks JB. I just ordered the parts. Too much work to not go the whole way.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Symptom: CEL ON: I too had trouble finding the SAI "hole" and when I found it, it was like, opps there it is !
My exhaust ports at just 40k miles (CEL ON now) since last full rebuild and SAI port holes all looked open and clean.
My issue must be something else; I get both fault codes: 0410 & 0411, perhaps the air pump is not running or the hi-miles injectors running rich ? Actual check valve is 40k miles old and does look corroded (yet).

Note: Pics from engine video scope as it is impossible to see the hole; but if you feel around for it is behind the valve stem. I squirted much carb cleaner into holes and heard fluid rush up without obstructions; upon starting I got no burst of carbon smoke out of exhaust ports.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the ports are clear, check the shut off valve next to the air pump. The vacuum line going to that valve is easily knocked off or leaking.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,

I've got the cable to do this. We can talk tomorrow evening.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM
C4S993
Pro

Question

Originally Posted by flying_low
If the ports are clear, check the shut off valve next to the air pump. The vacuum line going to that valve is easily knocked off or leaking.
I cannot locate the vac line your are referring to. I see of course the large hose connected to the fat SAI check valve (from the SAI air pump) but I see no small dia black vac hose anywhere near the air pump or the actual check valve which I assume is the shut off valve; where is it ? Are you referring to the electric solenoid (change-over valve) that exist above the twin dist ? If so, I see no output vac line (from the electric solenoid, change-over valve, headed over to the check valve. Can you Iphone a pic of your change-over-valve so I can make sure my vac lines are connected to the right place(s) ? A couple weeks ago I did find the elbow hose missing from what I think is the 12v change over electric solenoid; reconnected and will wait for system to re-learn /activate the various sensors and see if CEL is off. However, I cannot find the actual SAI air activated change over valve.
Thanks '96C4S

Last edited by C4S993; 01-01-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman
Mark,

I've got the cable to do this. We can talk tomorrow evening.
Sounds good. I went to Wally World and they don't have the cable (at least at the one by me).
Old 01-01-2014, 01:27 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
I cannot locate the vac line your are referring to. I see of course the large hose connected to the fat SAI check valve (from the SAI air pump) but I see no small dia black vac hose anywhere near the air pump or the actual check valve which I assume is the shut off valve; where is it ? Are you referring to the electric solenoid (change-over valve) that exist above the twin dist ? If so, I see no output vac line (from the electric solenoid, change-over valve, headed over to the check valve. Can you Iphone a pic of your change-over-valve so I can make sure my vac lines are connected to the right place(s) ? A couple weeks ago I did find the elbow hose missing from what I think is the 12v change over electric solenoid; reconnected and will wait for system to re-learn /activate the various sensors and see if CEL is off. However, I cannot find the actual SAI air activated change over valve.
Thanks '96C4S
Bruce7 got those codes when changing his check valve BEFORE he did the cleanout. He found the vacuum and it fixed it. Maybe you will be as fortunate! He added this pic (courtesy http://www.pcarworkshop.com) which has an engine out pic of the hose to his checkvalve diy. It's hard to see without a mirror. When I did my check valve mine came undone but thanks to the DIY I checked and reinstalled before assembling my airbox back on.

PS Bruce, hadn't seen you online for a while. Hope the cars running well and you have another diy for us in 2014!

https://plus.google.com/photos/11229...58977251707741
Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
I cannot locate the vac line your are referring to. I see of course the large hose connected to the fat SAI check valve (from the SAI air pump) but I see no small dia black vac hose anywhere near the air pump or the actual check valve which I assume is the shut off valve; where is it ? Can you Iphone a pic of your change-over-valve so I can make sure my vac lines are connected to the right place(s) ? A couple weeks ago I did find the elbow hose missing from what I think is the 12v change over electric solenoid; reconnected and will wait for system to re-learn /activate the various sensors and see if CEL is off. However, I cannot find the actual SAI air activated change over valve.
Thanks '96C4S
This picture is from rennlist. The valve is the one marked shut-off valve.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM
C4S993
Pro

Thanks JB and flying_low ! I never knew all that was hidden behind there ! When will Bruce take a hint from Bentley and publish a 993 workshop book ? A pure 993 engine rebuild book would sell.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:28 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Updated with new link to photo album

Here is the updated Google link to the photo album:

https://goo.gl/photos/oGZLK1YV9N2qBw7w8

-bruce7
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Started my SAI clean-out dismantling yesterday. Even after lots of penetrating lubricant, some of the nuts were a PITA to remove. Some even came with the stud attached so new parts are on order.

Between this write-up/photos and a video I found on YouTube, the process is explained very well. Of note, the YouTube video showed the use of pingpong ***** to plug-up the exhaust holes while spraying the SAI holes. Additionally, and as mentioned by others, the driver's front-most bolt is difficult to access due to the stabilizer bar.

Here is the YouTube link...

kudos to bruce7 and the YouTuber.

Notice some studs missing. While here, I'll also be ordering exhaust O- rings, nuts and bolts, and stabilizer bar bushings.

Last edited by Sagres74; 03-21-2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add link
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (10-13-2021)
Old 07-23-2020, 05:38 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm going to be trying the SAI cleanout next week and will be following these steps. One thing I will be trying differently is that I bought a 50" aerocan straw that I'm going to try and push up the SAI port to try to spray some carb cleaner as far up as I could. I also have the bike cable ready if it doesn't work

Edwin

Quick Reply: DIY - SAI Port Clean-Out