993 Forum 1995-1998

Tire balancing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
How many bushings are there to a side? Do they offer a kit? Anyrecommendations as to where to buy and how much?
6, and there are choices. Search for Walrod, offered by FD Motorsports-a sponsor here, many here have them and love them. FDM also offers an exchange where they send you control arms with bushings installed, greatly simplifying the project. I say it's a fun job to DIY.

So, my guess is "someone", who has a hard-on for FDM, will post other options, even though he has no experience with any of them.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many bushings are there to a side? Do they offer a kit? Anyrecommendations as to where to buy and how much?

The last post on a major thread, on this exact topic, in this very forum, was less than 12 hours ago.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

How many bushings are there to a side?
Post #9 answers that as well as well as your options in the Available Control Arm Bushings thread.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

How predictable; he's adept at posting links.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 AM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife won't believe it. It appears I can be too subtle...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobboinski
My wife won't believe it. It appears I can be too subtle...
Too funny
Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soo ... the only test for these bushings is when you have a shimmy at a certain speed? I would hate to take my car in and find I didn't need the work done. Meanwhile, will I cause any further damage if I take it to the track in a couple weeks? I probably sound silly, but I just want to be sure. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonster
I would hate to take my car in and find I didn't need the work done.
CA bushings aren't the only front suspension component that can wear. Tie rods, ball joints wear. I love it when people "assume" things with someone else's money.

I have 148,000 miles on the OE rubber CA bushings on my DD that has been subjected to the environment far more than my 993 CA bushings. My DD tracks straight and vibration-free.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex ... my car tracks straight, no problem. But sometimes at around 60 MPH the steering wheel vibrates a little. Because it does not happen consistently, I presumed it was the road surface up to now. As far as the bushings ... should I just have them all done at once and be done with it? And what do you think about polyurethane bushings? I have heard that the polys are better for track use - is there really that big a difference?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

As far as the bushings ... should I just have them all done at once and be done with it?
I tend not to nickle and dime aka cheap out. Do the job right.

And what do you think about polyurethane bushings? I have heard that the polys are better for track use - is there really that big a difference?
Best ask Bill Verburg. I tend to listen to him and a few others when it comes to suspension and other P-car related issues. When the need arises, I'm going with OE control arm bushings based on my experience with them presently in my 993. They are original and my car still tracks straight and vibration-free.

Bill covers the pros and cons in the Available Control Arm Bushings thread.

There are quite a few choices out there.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Originally Posted by IXLR8
CA bushings aren't the only front suspension component that can wear. Tie rods, ball joints wear. I love it when people "assume" things with someone else's money.

I have 148,000 miles on the OE rubber CA bushings on my DD that has been subjected to the environment far more than my 993 CA bushings. My DD tracks straight and vibration-free.
No assumptions here. The OP reported symptoms similar to those I experienced in my car. New control arm bushings eliminated my car's shimmy. It's up to him how he spends his money. From his previous posts he seems capable of independent thinking.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I am the same way, Alex. I demand a lot of my car, and going cheap would be dangerous at the track. I had a #5 bent valve guide when I bought the blue car (which of course affected the purchase price). Instead of just having the immediate issue addressed, I had the exhaust side completely rebuilt. I am not afraid of spending money on my cars, I just don't like fixing something that isn't broken. To me bushings are just another maintenance issue, so I will just have them all done. I figure if some are worn, the others probably are, too.

Thanks for the link, too! I will be reading up there as well. So glad I saw this thread ...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bobboinski
My car had the 55m.p.h. shimmy when I bought it in 2010 with 48,000mi. Did a search here, replaced the bushings, problem solved.
I bought my 96 a year and a half back, 47k miles then. The seller stated the front tires need rebalancing, I did that and still had shimmy at 55-60mph. I put a new suspension in it (shocks / springs) along with new control arm bushings, I did not rebalance the tires, the problem went away. My vote is control arm bushings.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coreseller
I bought my 96 a year and a half back, 47k miles then. The seller stated the front tires need rebalancing, I did that and still had shimmy at 55-60mph. I put a new suspension in it (shocks / springs) along with new control arm bushings, I did not rebalance the tires, the problem went away. My vote is control arm bushings.
That's real world experience, and you cannot post it here. He who links to threads, but doesn't have much hands on in before/after experience says they can't be worn at less than 50k.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 PM
bobboinski
Racer

I like you Ed. Daughter lives in Encinitas. Maybe someday we will meet.

Quick Reply: Tire balancing