Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How do you buy a car privately in one state and drive it home?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:40 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in NH and bought mine in WV. I had the seller send me a copy of the future bill of sale and the registrar here said that was acceptable for transfer plates. They gave me a paper transfer plate and I flew down to get it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM
kg4nih
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 993 in Nov 12 and drove it from Las Vegas to NoVA (2500 miles w/side trips). Here's a link to the RL thread w/ my question about essential spares & tools for a x-country trip:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=118942

I've driven coast to coast 8x (3x in a '64 356 SC & 1x in the 993) over the last 30 years & haven't even scratched the surface. Take your time & enjoy the drive & the car. There is lots to see. And, a 993 is the best way to do the drive.

Last edited by kg4nih; 03-21-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM
lml999
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 509 Posts

Regulations vary by state. I bought a car a few years ago in NH, purchased temporary plates there for $10 or $15 and drove the car back to MA. Drove around for a few days on those temporary plates. Turns out that MA does not recognize temporary plates and considered my car unregistered. (I did not discover this the hard way!)

MA does not issue temporary plates. Instead, they allow you to take the plates off your old car and install them on your new car. With appropriate paperwork (notarized bill of sale, title, evidence of insurance, etc.), MA considers this acceptable for 7 or 10 days.

Two things here -- first, this assumes that you are transferring plates off another vehicle. Second, MA assumes that other states will recognize this as acceptable, and suggests that you print and carry the portion of the MA RMV (DMV) website to provide to an officer, along with the other documentation, when questioned.

I expect to be buying a car out of state shortly and will do this. I'll also try to keep a low profile on the drive home...having a conversation about the finer points of the law on the site of the road with a policeman doesn't strike me as a good idea, and staying legal otherwise should help avoid this.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to the DMV in my home state of Iowa today regarding picking up my new 96 C4S in New York next week.

The options they gave were thus:

1. Keep the previous owner's plates on the vehicle and mail them back when I arrive in Iowa and am issued a temporary tag upon presenting the title and bill of sale to the DMV back home.

2. Use no tags and keep the title and bill of sale on hand. This is completely legal according to Iowa law and the most common scenario here according to the DMV employee.

3. Present the title if available to the DMV and pay for a temp tag.

Quick Reply: How do you buy a car privately in one state and drive it home?