Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How do you buy a car privately in one state and drive it home?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Coyote
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 993 in CA and wanted to drive it back to Utah. After spending way too much time trying to figure out how to do it without any potential legal issues or risk of impound I have up and just had it shipped. Missed out on the drive but saved myself some brain damage and potential aggravation.
CA is a PITA on this stuff!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM
ericthepilot
Racer

Got the car in WA, Seattle. Plate was already paid for the year. Called the insurance. Filled up the car and started driving east. 5 days later in South Florida.
Need to do it again !
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

If all goes well with the PPI my dad will fly from Ireland and meet me in CA on the night before we buy the car. After the car is exchanged for a wad'o'cash the next morning we will drive to Pasadena and spend the rest of that day with my Brother and his wife and upon waking up the next morning we will head out the door for the long drive home to NC. My dad always wanted to drive across America. Bet he never imagined that 1. He would actually get a chance to do it, and 2. It would be in an air-cooled Porsche.

Huzzah!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

It will be a trip you will remember forever. Take you time be safe get AAA premier/plus whatever is the max that gets you a 200 mile tow -just in case. Ensure the tow hooks in the car and the jack spare tire. Find a flat parking lot and do a spare tire test change before you hit the highway. Sure it's buz kill but much easier surprise when see you are something short and still in a town with a working car to go get a part....

PS I hope 'wad of cash' was just a figure of speech. I wouldn't show up and meet someone with that much cash. If he insists on cash meet at a BANK, preferably yours so you just hold the cash for 20 feet from the teller to the coffee table. No where else.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

....and be sure to take a spare DME/Fuel Pump Relay and belts.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Spiritually and not actually a wod'o'cash. A fair sum of money in a non-liquid form.

Originally Posted by JB 911
It will be a trip you will remember forever. Take you time be safe get AAA premier/plus whatever is the max that gets you a 200 mile tow -just in case. Ensure the tow hooks in the car and the jack spare tire. Find a flat parking lot and do a spare tire test change before you hit the highway. Sure it's buz kill but much easier surprise when see you are something short and still in a town with a working car to go get a part....

PS I hope 'wad of cash' was just a figure of speech. I wouldn't show up and meet someone with that much cash. If he insists on cash meet at a BANK, preferably yours so you just hold the cash for 20 feet from the teller to the coffee table. No where else.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
....and be sure to take a spare DME/Fuel Pump Relay and belts.
Links to these would be much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Good luck with the PPI. There are a lot of us in the LA area if you need local support. Search the archives for road trip, there are a standard list of items that are recommended for long trips, their might be some info in this thread. The buyer did a great job of documenting his trip as well, https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...very-blog.html.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Flew from eastern PA to Michigan, bought car with title and drove home with no plate. Wife thought we would end up in jail
Old 03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought mine in Incline Village, NV (Lake Tahoe) and drove it home to Utah. Didnt get a temp plate and kept the previous owners plates on until I got back to change everything over. Really no reason to worry, unless you plan on being pulled over.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Which belts? DME new on Ebay for $34. Whats a 16 point tool?

G
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

In some states, (Massachusetts for example) the plates come off when the car is sold. On occasion, I've taken plates from another of our existing cars - and put them on the new purchase. Then, armed with the legitimate registration for the plates put on the new car and the bill of sale for the new car - plus an insurance certificate, I was never worried. But I admit I've never been stopped in this situation.

I would guess that any cop looking for revenue enhancement, can probably make up some violation you've committed and will give you a "mail in" ticket and let you go on your way. Never heard of a car being impounded.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

One really good thing about the temp plates is the numbers are really small so if you blow through a speed trap doing 90 and continue to accelerate they have a smaller chance of getting the number.

Not that I would condone this type of behavior . . . . . .

Regards,

Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 AM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last week, I purchased a 38k mile 1989 BMW 325iX on Long Island, NY, paid the buyer in cash, and drove the car back to Illinois.

Before flying out to I asked my insurance agent to provide me with insurance documents which I would have in my possession. Before leaving, I also checked with New York state Division of Motor Vehicles - they indicated I would have to get a 'in transit registration' for driving the car home from New York to Illinois, no big deal, 2 hours at the local Long Island motor vehicle office and $15 later I was on the road. I did not want to take any chances with the lack of maintenance by the PO so I stopped at a well known E30 shop in Doylestown, PA - Zygmunt Motors to get some work done.

You might want to check with the state motor vehicle office where you are buying the car and definately get your insurance documents before driving the car and carry a spare DME relay - good luck !

PS - Don't forget to bring your IPASS transponder.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
Internet has the answer:

http://blog.aceautoadvice.com/2011/0...license-plate/

The last three cars that I bought I just drove without any plates (two of them from another state). I was told that you are allowed to drive it back home that way on the day you bought the car. I was unable to verify that claim. I drive nicely and carry all the title and paper work with me just in case I get stopped. My plan was to beg for forgiveness.
+1
This is what I did too.

Quick Reply: How do you buy a car privately in one state and drive it home?