Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How do you buy a car privately in one state and drive it home?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EMBPilot is right. Plates are worthless if you are not insured. Ask your insurance agent what they require or any mishap on your trip will end in tears, or cuffs.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Just went thru this myself and drove thru about 8 states so wanted to get it straight.

I would go to NC DMV before you leave and get a 30 day temp tag. In my home state Texas, that cost $25.00

If you buy a car and the owner takes his plates, use the paper one. If he doesn;t leave his on and keep the paper 30day with the title and docs to show a sheriff in the event... esp nice to have the paper as a back up and gives you a plan b if the seller decides to strip the plates at the last second or you can't agree - you have something rather than being in a strange state with NO plate.

Here is the catch. TECHNICALLY you are supposed to have temp reg for EVERY state you drive thru. Say what? Nobody is going to go to that much trouble. Just have your NC temp tags and everything else and plead forgiveness.

To get a temp tag in TX all you need is the vin and insurance. No title or bill of sale etc. I was quite suprised how easy it was.

I searched extensively and didnt find any horror stories going this way.

Hope you decide to come thru TN back into NC and then you can detour and do the Tail of the Dragon. I did that on my way home. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

PS I didn't get pulled over on the way home despite having a few sheriffs behind me at different points I imagine they raised the eyebrows at the TX temp tags and I admit my heart rate quickened, but in the end, they were probably just texting.

Last edited by JB 911; 03-14-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: bad grammer...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Also, FYI...
In Ca. Insurance is automatic on cars that are just bought.
You have something like 10 days to apply once you buy another car.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you have 30 days to add a car to your policy.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I purchased my 993 nearly 8 years ago, in Seattle. The seller did not need his plates back, so I drove the car home, armed with the usual paperwork associated with such a sale. No issues.

Last weekend, a neighbor and I flew to CO, picked up a Landcruiser, and did 24 hours of driving to get home in a day and a half. Used the seller's plates as well.

Andreas
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
kg4nih
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 993 in Nov 12 and drove it from Las Vegas to VA. For NV the plates stay w/ the previous owner at the time of sale. VA issues a self printed (time limited) "trip permit" - goes in the left rear window

A signed bill of sale and insurance (or a "not insured" fee is required) also required by VA. I had the car insured in my name effective the day before I picked it up.

Rules are different by state. Check the CA and NC rules. The NV and VA rules were on-line.

On a practical note, during the 2300 mile trip home, I avoided obvious speeding violations & no cop seemed particularly interested in a guards red porsche. I also noticed that temp tags from various states were common on the interstate (e.g. CA temp tags in TX).

PM me. We can chat on the phone if that helps.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

I'm just throwing this out here for any U.S. attorneys in the crowd, but if a newly purchased vehicle with the previous owner's plate on it, is involved in an accident, is there a risk that that owner may be joined as a party in the resulting litigation? I suspect this may vary from state to state.

Trial lawyers generally work on the principle that it is easier to drop parties from court proceedings, than add them. Finally, even if the seller is covered by insurance for some reason, does he want his name added to court pleadings that may end up on the records of credit reporting agencies.?

Last edited by Rinty; 03-14-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
bought my car in cali, drove it to NJ.

Stopped once, showed cop the paperwork (was in texas), no issue going forward.
If you don't mind sharing, why were you stopped? If for speeding I understand, but driving an out of state car is hardly PC for a stop.

Originally Posted by Rinty
I'm just throwing this out here for any attorneys in the crowd, but if a newly purchased vehicle with the previous owner's plate on it, is involved in an accident, is there a risk that that owner may be joined as a party in the resulting litigation? I suspect this may vary from state to state.

That's certainly the risk in my home province in Canada, and, I suspect, in other provinces.
In CA when you sign the bill of sale, I believe there's also a release of liability clause. The original owner is not responsible for any accidents or tickets.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by abarthguy
Also, FYI...
In Ca. Insurance is automatic on cars that are just bought.
You have something like 10 days to apply once you buy another car.
I've talked to my insurance company already and I'm covered for 30 days on any car I buy without notifying them, which seems remarkably lenient.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aarrow
In CA when you sign the bill of sale, I believe there's also a release of liability clause. The original owner is not responsible for any accidents or tickets.
Say what? Reason, common sense? Even in the state of CA?

Thats good news!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Haha. Yeah, we have our moments. Just don't ask to see my gun collection.

I just double checked, the release is on the actual title

Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

The seller should fill that form out and turn it in.

I always take it to the AAA office where they copy and date stamp it. The DMV is notorious for not recieving / posting them.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Like others I brought one home for TX and seller offered up without me asking the use of his tag to get me home. He said, "Have a nice drive and just drop it in the mail after you get home."

I would do the same in the future for a buyer assuming the transaction felt good leading up to that.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 AM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Like others I brought one home for TX and seller offered up without me asking the use of his tag to get me home. He said, "Have a nice drive and just drop it in the mail after you get home."

I would do the same in the future for a buyer assuming the transaction felt good leading up to that.
I recommend using caution doing this. Unfortunately, there are buyers out there that do not return your old plates. Next thing you know, you're getting red light and speeding camera tickets in the mail.

FYI, in VA, you buy a $5 trip permit that is good for 15 days.

Quick Reply: How do you buy a car privately in one state and drive it home?