Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval!

Just a note, especially to all the California Porsche owners ...

I just got the word from Alex at Fabspeed Motorsports. Fabspeed has applied for CARB approval for their Porsche 993 sport 200 cell cats (not sure if there are other cats that apply).

This way, we can pass our smog visual tests should that ever happen to us. With our cars getting older, a chance for a referee smog check becomes more likely and so does the visual.

So this should give us a few extra hp, bigger exhaust sound, AND less weight in our rears. I've always thought I could stand to lose a few pounds in the backside!

Marc G.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

That's good news!

CA sends my car to a "smog only" station every time, which includes the visual inspection.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 PM
lemonlib
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o i cant wait..what is the time table..plus the gonna have to weld those on the exhaust..or give you a special sticker ...

Lemon
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Perfect -- just perfect. Literally the day after I installed (lightly used) factory cats. Perfect.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Perfect -- just perfect. Literally the day after I installed (lightly used) factory cats. Perfect.
Lawbreaker.......

Actually, got quite the education on catalytic converter replacement in CA for an '01 GMC extra shop truck. At retail, replacing both cats seems to be about 1/2 the value of the truck. (Which is what the state wants.) 49-state cats, those which don't have to meet the LEV requirement are significantly less. Time to get the welder out.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Alex (Fabspeed) said they were hoping to have everything approved by this summer (summer 2013). So let's keep our fingers crossed!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 AM
lemonlib
Rennlist Member

darn...that means august... which actually means dec.

lemon
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Price?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Vq-1
Instructor

Cool,
Anyone have a part number for the replacement cats?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vq-1
Cool,
Anyone have a part number for the replacement cats?
There are several different part numbers for cats. Remember, there are Bischoff (oval) and Gillet (round) openings. But there are also two different Bischoff numbers (early and late model year versions?). Not sure what the difference is.

Bischoff:
993-113-213-15 or 993-113-285-00

Gillet:
993-113-213-36

Hope this helps -
Old 01-17-2014, 04:48 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Does anyone know if there have been any developments on this Cat system and approval for CA?!

Need to replace the Cats on my 95 and I am in CA.... want to go Fabspeed and not stock, but can't deal with the whole smog thing.

That said I passed last year, so likely another year before I get called back... also it seems some guys run this already on the street and have no issue in CA?

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) To my knowledge, Fabspeed cats have not been CARB approved yet.

2) It appears that we lucky Porsche owners in CA are DMV directed to "Star Certified" smog stations that perform a detailed "under car" check for OE smog equipment. As noted in other posts, some leave the stock equipment on the car for smog certification, then return home and REinstall all the aftermarket goodies, and enjoy the ride for the next two years……
Old 01-18-2014, 02:21 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's awesome really. Thoughtful to go thru the process to extend an Approved Item to the CA residents (and really all the other States who use CARB standards) who simply can't or just won't use non-CARB equipment. They could have just sat idle at their "Racing or Off Road Use Only" status. Good business decision for sure, haha. Maybe they'll sell 6 more a year... maybe 600. Kinda neat. Enjoy the benefits CA residents! Us Marylanders will enjoy too as we are one of the several states who adopted the California CARB standards as it's requirements

My favorite part is when you go thru the testing station and the inspector wave's their mirror under the middle of the car searching for present cats, LOL.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are very few replacement Catalytic suppliers approved for California. I with the state government we currently have, I do not believe any new suppliers will be approved.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:44 AM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Bummer

My cat was crushed recently (it's a long story for a different thread), so I have no original Cats to go back to now and want/need the car back together asap and I am not really interested in going back to OEM... was hoping this was sorted. Does anyone know if this is still being pursued by Fabspeed or if it is a dead issue for them? And if it is still going, where it currently stands?

If it is going forward, this would likely be an approval for their existing 200 cel cat, X-Pipe Cat system, correct? And that just gets the stamp/sticker? If so then logic follows that when it is adopted, the current versions all being equal, would be grandfathered in... so in theory if I get the Cats and they get the approval before my next smog, in 16 months...

hmmmmmmmm, some wishful thinking with a dose of self delusion

Quick Reply: Fabspeed cats to receive CARB approval!