993 Forum 1995-1998

Distributor cap and rotor replacement

Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
There are single distributors that have twelve plug leads but Porsche chose to go with a dual distributor system for the two sets of plugs on the 964/993. Why they did that (not enough room for the larger, single distributor?) I'm not sure.
Have you ever priced out one of these?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Cool shot! What is the secondary post next to the central post - the rotor will spark to two posts in that position?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have had one dealing with Pfaff in the past, and never again. They did a PPI for me, and I think they had a welding helmet on when doing it, because the stuff they missed was right in front of them.

Tarbender, not sure how mechanically inclined your are or want to be, but for these older cars, its good to learn enough to you do not get mislead by mechanics. There is a ton of knowledge on this site, as well as other sites like my favorite :-) http://www.pcarworkshop.com.

And don't be afraid to ask basic questions - we were all in that state at one time (although some would admit it never happened!)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to say thanks to pcarworkshop! I had my iPad resting on the engine bay as I was following your step by step. I wouldn't have tried without it!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aarrow
I just changed my caps and rotors today. Used Bosch replacements. Immediate impression is the idle is much smoother. I want to say performance is improved, but I don't know if it really is, or if its just the sensation of being a happy owner who saved a small boat load of money doing things myself (and without extra nuts and bolts at the end!) instead of paying a shop to do it.

It's a very basic job. The only rough part about it is the space (or lack thereof!!) to work.

Whay do you guys think? Is there an increase in HP after swapping out 50k old dizzy and rotors?

Sorry to thread jack OP. Hopefully you'll be motivated to tackle the job yourself! If I can do it...
I would like to hear from others who have also replaced the dizzy and rotors to see if they noticed any difference also. I had mine replaced along with wires and plugs and didn't notice any difference whatsoever. Now I'm questioning if they were replaced at all. After I had a considerable amount of work done to the vehicle, I immediately left for a trip from WI to UT and back. I cannot tell now whether the parts are old or new.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, to the OP, there is a tiny belt that connects your two distributors. The distributor closest to the engine fan runs off a gear from the engine, and the one closer to the inner fender is connected to the first one by a little belt that looks like a timing belt. If you don't have a record of that being replaced around 50k miles, you should consider that service too
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine, without any other parts changed except caps and rotors.

didn't notice any significant difference in how the engine started and idled, even though the old parts showed quite a bit of wear. I'm guessing those parts are good for 60,000 miles.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh oh... Belt!? Could you please post pics or a diagram? I didn't come across any belts.

:eek!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh oh... Belt!? Could you please post pics or a diagram? I didn't come across any belts.

you can't really see it in the car. It runs inside the housing. If you can envision the housing looking like a twinkie, the belt runs in an oval shape

Have to pull the distributor out of the car, and completely disassemble it to replace the little belt. I just pulled my whole distributor and sent it to a RL member in Atlanta. Then replaced my caps & rotors when it came back by UPS
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Further disassembly of the dizzy would be necessary to get to the belt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Distributor cap and rotor replacement