Sponsored by:

control arm bushes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control arm bushes

DIY to up grade control arm front and rear bushes , what is the best tool to take out the control arm front and rear bushes.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The "best" may be a shop press. You can remove the arms and take them to a shop and have them do it. Many here have use the DIY guide from FD Motorsports:
http://fdmotorsports.net/Control%20A...%20Install.pdf
I've also seen people suggest similar to above, but make 2 hacksaw cuts on opposite sides to relieve the pressure on the metal sleeve. Just don't cut too far...

If you are installing ERP (Elephant Racing Products) or simliar, you probably need a press to put them back in, or one big vice.

Also, search here for some combo of these terms for more info:
walrod bushings
ERP bushings
A arm bushings

I've got this in my future as well.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I pressed the old front ones out and as I remember it took just over 7 tonnes of pressure, and when they let go it was like a gun going off. I pressed in new Elephant Racing ones. The arms are in fact a bit awkward to get straight under the average press. The rears are very simple though.

Berni
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Bernie - yours must have been in there extreeemely tight - I pressed mine out with minimal effort. But again, a press makes it way easier.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed Walrod bushings. To remove the OEM bushings, make two hacksaw cuts through the sleeve but close together - about the same distance as the height of 2-3 quarters. Remove this small piece of the sleeve and it'll be much easier to pry out / punch out the remaining piece of the sleeve. I didn't figure this out until after a long struggle with punches and an air chisel.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lower control arm bushings

I just ordered and received lower control arms from FDM that have the new bushings installed and all I need to do is return my old ones. Total cost was $300 and well worth not having to deal with installation of the bushings.

Darin was great to work with and I will be sending my old control arms back to his attention after this weekend's project of replacement. Highly recommend getting these sandblasted and rebushed arms and not dealing with the hassle of finding a press etc. Check out the FDM site and call them.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 133 Posts

how tought is it to remove and reinstall the control arms? I would like to do this but really don't do much suspension work. Also, do you need to do an alignment after?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I did the walrod bushing change recently. taking the arms off is not difficult and a realignment is not needed if you mark the eccentric and don't change that setting on re-install. (see the DIY write up) meanwhile - I wish I had done what "boomboom" did. it was a pain to remove the old bushings and it would have been worth the money to let FD Motorsports exchange my old arms for nicely refurbished ones. installing the walrod bushings was easy. just my 2 cents!!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I had a post on here for the rears, where I made a special tool and some fixturing that worked in a bench vise. I installed the Elephant Racing bushes in the back.

Here it is:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...uspension.html

I installed the Walrod bushes in the front, had no issue using the hacksaw method mentioned previously.

Last edited by Jeff96-993; 03-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboom
I just ordered and received lower control arms from FDM that have the new bushings installed and all I need to do is return my old ones. Total cost was $300 and well worth not having to deal with installation of the bushings.

Darin was great to work with and I will be sending my old control arms back to his attention after this weekend's project of replacement. Highly recommend getting these sandblasted and rebushed arms and not dealing with the hassle of finding a press etc. Check out the FDM site and call them.
I bought the bushings last year and never got around to installing them...I
know, I know ~ slacker! Looking back, I should've just done a core
exchange with the FDM boys from the start...You live you learn..

Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default control arm pics

Installed the control arms this morning and the steering rack tie rods. Make sure to check the tie rods at the threaded connection point to the steering rack. The tie rods looked fine at the wheel end, but were worn to heck at the rack. I spent a bit more and replaced the whole assembly, not just the tie rod. I decided on a whim to do this while in doing the control arms. Glad I did! They were scary worn. Car should be drivable tomorrow or day after. Doing a LWF and clutch, slave, hose and SAI check valve. Again better to do this while the tranny is out.

Alan
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

just got the powerflex and going to install it soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Coyote
Advanced

Just did this...lit a torch and burned them out. Worked a peach!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

We have refurbished quite a few sets and some are definitely easier than others. We do get some sets in that are just a bear to get the old bushings out. The 10 ton press at the shop helps!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: control arm bushes