993 Forum 1995-1998

Motion Control Systems Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Motion Control Systems Suspension

Check out their web site....very nicely done. www.motioncontrolsuspension.com Steve Weiner had told us about this company some time back. Their MCS-2 is making me drool. $4,400 + customized springs and misc. parts...right in the range of Moton Club Sports. Supposedly owned by some ex-Moton and ex-JRZ folks, made in the USA too...and available from Steve Weiner. Check out the 2 way adjustment ****...damn, even I can see them, adjust them. The rebound adjuster is just as big...and if I have any questions, I can bug Steve Weiner. I had a quick question, so I called MCS the other day (Can't continually bug Steve Weiner). One of their top guys, Lex Carson, called me right back. He is throughly versed on the MCS-2, as you would expect.

My rebuilt PSS9s are going to have to start looking for a new owner. If you are interested, look for the post. Pricing will be about $1,200 or best offer....

Off the web site, "The MCS 2-Way damper is far from basic. This damper set features a full 15 clicks of both rebound and compression adjustment over a wide range, specific to each vehicle’s specific requirements. Dampers are more than just number of adjustments and just click count – the shape of the resulting curves is specifically engineered to give your car the most grip through the range of surface conditions and dynamic inputs your vehicle experiences. 2-Way dampers are available for many popular sports cars." Damn, talk dirty to me!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Gonna pull the trigger, eh Martin? JRZ, Moton, and MCS are essentially all the same shock, and they're all great. I have JRZs. I assume you know these are really designed for the track, and your street ride will be very very firm. 600/800 seems to be a common spring setup.

A few weeks ago I might have bought your PSS9s but I think I'm resolved to revalve mine and shorten the droop limiters so that I can run softer springs for more street use.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Martin, I'll take the PSS9s... sent you a PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If MiataR passes up on the PSS9's count me next in line, thx
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I did it....

Asked Steve Weiner to order me up a set of MCS 2. In addition to compression and rebound adjustments, the MCS-2 also have remote reservoirs, you can add/delete N through a Schrader valve. I also ordered the RS uprights, tie rods,assorted nuts and bolts and new wheel bearings. OMG, wifey is going to go crazy...no worries, I have already cooked up a great story. It's been nearly an hour and no buyers remorse....don't think I'll be getting any either!

As you can see, the PSS9s look to be sold as well.

Rennlist, is this a great place or what? So says Chris Walrod!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

The trigger has been pulled...I have been pondering this upgrade for several years....especially the RS Uprights, tasty!!!! I didn't want to spend $$$$ on a trick suspension and have potential bump steer. The MCS-2 are a little shorter than the Bilsteins....Steve recommends the RS uprights to get maximum suspension travel. Another $1,200, but who is counting...I am certain I needed new front bearings anyway

Re. the springs, I know the ride will be firm...that is what I want. My car is 99% track now...but still street legal. I can always de-gas the canisters if I want a softer street rids...nawww, I'll just tough it out! Take the pain!

Another driver of this decision, I have 993 RS Club Sport tail and GT2 front splitters (Side skirts of course). The stiffer springs will compliment the aero package. In addition, I may want to run slicks, maybe....I needed something more aggressive than PSS9s to do this, IMHO.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Gonna pull the trigger, eh Martin? JRZ, Moton, and MCS are essentially all the same shock, and they're all great. I have JRZs. I assume you know these are really designed for the track, and your street ride will be very very firm. 600/800 seems to be a common spring setup.

A few weeks ago I might have bought your PSS9s but I think I'm resolved to revalve mine and shorten the droop limiters so that I can run softer springs for more street use.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Martin, you'll LOVE the MCS dampers.

I've often thought they'd be sublime in a dual-use car - having first tracked on PSS10s for a year. I honestly don't think you'll have to drop the canister pressures, rather merely dial out R and B for whatever street use you have.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The trigger has been pulled...I have been pondering this upgrade for several years....especially the RS Uprights, tasty!!!! I didn't want to spend $$$$ on a trick suspension and have potential bump steer. The MCS-2 are a little shorter than the Bilsteins....Steve recommends the RS uprights to get maximum suspension travel. Another $1,200, but who is counting...I am certain I needed new front bearings anyway

Re. the springs, I know the ride will be firm...that is what I want. My car is 99% track now...but still street legal. I can always de-gas the canisters if I want a softer street rids...nawww, I'll just tough it out! Take the pain!

Another driver of this decision, I have 993 RS Club Sport tail and GT2 front splitters (Side skirts of course). The stiffer springs will compliment the aero package. In addition, I may want to run slicks, maybe....I needed something more aggressive than PSS9s to do this, IMHO.
Way to go Martin!....I can't wait for a ride (at which point it will likely be all over for me but the cryiin!...my PSS9's just turned 100K
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Martin, you'll LOVE the MCS dampers.

I've often thought they'd be sublime in a dual-use car - having first tracked on PSS10s for a year. I honestly don't think you'll have to drop the canister pressures, rather merely dial out R and B for whatever street use you have.
They're not exactly "sublime" in a dual-use car. You can't really raise the ride height much or soften the springs much. So you're stuck with super stiff springs, which is bearable but only barely for us old farts. Ok I'm not that old but I'm getting tired of chattering teeth and bump steer. That said, they're actually not much worse of a ride than PSS9, which is pretty amazing.

But since Martin is 99% track, seems like a good time for MCS!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

splitters (Side skirts of course). The stiffer springs will compliment the aero package. In addition, I may want to run slicks, maybe....I needed something
Another driver of this decision, I have 993 RS Club Sport tail and GT2 front more aggressive than PSS9s to do this, IMHO.
Sounds like somone may have to jump up a class or 2 for POC events....
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
[INDENT][INDENT]

Sounds like somone may have to jump up a class or 2 for POC events....
Very observant....But I am now running GT5 where anything goes...it's weight/HP. In the traditional "alphabet" classes, the car would be a V2 car...the double adjustable and Club Sport wing are so called "V" class mods...but for GT5, all is well. Just need to make weight, or add weight if the HP is too high. It is a great class.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

With the shorter shocks and lower ride heights you will want to go to solid rear side mounts if you haven't already. Also think about all the bushes(again if it hasn't already been taken care of)

The suspension potential will only be as good as the weakest/sloppiest component
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't forget RS or EVO tie-rods to go with your RS uprights.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
With the shorter shocks and lower ride heights you will want to go to solid rear side mounts if you haven't already. Also think about all the bushes(again if it hasn't already been taken care of)

The suspension potential will only be as good as the weakest/sloppiest component
"solid rear side mounts".....oh damn, I had to spend $1,200 on uprights and tie rods, I just am ignorant about solid rear side mounts, what they be???
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

"solid rear side mounts".....oh damn, I had to spend $1,200 on uprights and tie rods, I just am ignorant about solid rear side mounts, what they be???
Solid Sides. I have them. The big question, Tilt or not to tilt......

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Sol...tinfo/SB65.XX/

Quick Reply: Motion Control Systems Suspension