Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche Motorsports purchases ANDIAL

Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I visited Andial a couple of years back as they were installing some of our products on their cutomer's cars. Really great guys. The shop seemed pretty slow even then. It looked like they were scaling back quite a bit. Sad to see them go.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
When I flew in to pick up Speedy..... they refused to charge for..... storing my 993.
Come on. Who would?

From the 993 Turbo Forum's "Heeeeerrrrreeee Viper Viper Viper" thread:
These pictures are interesting. (I don't feel like going though and quoting within!). Anson made a 1:18 scale car with a similar livery. Instead of Halleroder I think it says Kelly Moss, everything else looks the same (except for some bodywork details.)

Sad to here Arnold passed away. Andial has made a huge impact on Porsche motorsport.

Take care,
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile If you want a taste of ANDIAL,

Take your Porsche car to Newport Auto Center (Porsche). As far as I know he is still there...that would be Kevin Kelly, who was the lead wrench at ANDIAL amongst all those Germans. Their service advisor, Pete Wetzel, nearly alway arranged for Kevin to work on my car. Pete was a prize in himself...we lost him a few years back, but what a walking wealth of information. All the ANDIAL principals including Pete came from Vasek Polak in Hermosa Beach. The old building still stands on Pacific Coast Highway. It is still a shrine to some of us.

I used to drive my 993 to ANDIAL and have Enterprise Rental pick me up...it was a 70 mile drive, but the mystique of being an ANDIAL customer was awesome. Kevin installed my semi-LWF as well as a M030 RoW suspension (Used) off a 993 Turbo car. What an incredible store it was....Porsche Motorsports was right across the alley, another shrine for the faithful.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Porsche Strasse (now Strasse Automotive) is in the same neighborhood. I used to make up excuses to go there just to see all the exotic cars they were working on. Stan Sarcowicz, the owner, passed away a few years ago. I live in San Diego now, but bought my 993 from a dealer in Costa Mesa, so I went back to Strasse Automotive for my PPI.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The 3.4L motor I built for good old Ruby was blessed with Mahle P's & C's, and a DME splitter to run the second set of plugs, from Andial. Pete was a good guy to deal with, for parts. I wonder where he'll end up?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

One of my best Porsche memories is going to the ANDIAL open house years ago with a few of my friends, including another Dieter, owner of Lomita 911, who like Alwin, Dieter and Arnold worked at Vasek, so he knew all of them.

We got to watch them test one of the LeMans motors they were preparing.

The combined wisdom and mechanical knowledge of those guys is astounding. Best of all, they are all really nice people.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Corey-WheelsB
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Do any of you know where I can verify a VIN on a 1997 Andial 993 Twin Turbo. I know Andial closed a few years ago, but I just wanted to verify a few things before purchasing it. Any help or info on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Corey
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Corey-WheelsB
Guys,

Do any of you know where I can verify a VIN on a 1997 Andial 993 Twin Turbo. I know Andial closed a few years ago, but I just wanted to verify a few things before purchasing it. Any help or info on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Corey
Does the seller know the owner of the car who sent it to ANDIAL???? One of us might know him....

I'd think it would be up to the present seller to document the car, that's not your job....
Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Guys,

Thanks again,

Corey
Have you called PNA to see if they have ANDIAL's records?

They may have them as part of the acquisition.

Finding someone that know where they are and to find what you are looking for may be a different story though.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

Thanks again,

Corey
Is it one of the 3.8 twin plugs? If so member ScottMellor keeps the registry of those 20 or so cars still in existence. He should be able to answer your questions.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Is it one of the 3.8 twin plugs? If so member ScottMellor keeps the registry of those 20 or so cars still in existence. He should be able to answer your questions.
Scott is the world's leading expert on the Andial cars: email him at: scottmellor@karenschiltz.com. He will know if your car is a true 3.8 Andial twin plug.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I as one of many SoCal Porsche owners...

was addicted to ANDIAL service "crack". Their service manager, when I was going to ANDIAL back in the 90's was Pete Wetzel (RIP). Pete was from Vasek Polak, Hermosa Beach, CA, as were the founders. This guy was incredible...made you feel really good spending money, and he had ways to save you some too. He hooked me up with struts and shocks off a low mileage 993 Turbo...just added M030 (Row) springs and sway bars and I was off to the races. Pete also hooked me up with a semi-lightened flywheel and some sort of a clutch from the heavens. It has lasted 50,000 mikes and been on my tracked car since 2001, remarkable. Pete also suggested the manual on-off switch for the oil cooler.

The lead wrench, believe it or not, was NOT a German. It was Kevin Kelly, last know to be wrenching at Newport Auto, Newport Beach, CA This guy was/is a first class technician and diagnostician. If I lived in the OC, he's be my man.

Away we go....
Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

I'm sure he won't mind the Update... but Kevin Kelly no longer works for Newport Auto Center... He is wrenching at PMNA..

Thanks for the shout out Curve Lover!!
Chad

...& I'm sure they ^^ are both proud of RLer 993C4RS (Chad)'s work, too
From the 993 Turbo Forum's "Heeeeerrrrreeee Viper Viper Viper" thread:

Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Dieter called me the other day. He was rebuilding Jeff Zwart's 356's gearbox. At least one of them is still kicking...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I understand they will continue to take on projects in which they have an interest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Motorsports purchases ANDIAL