Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Opinions on non-standard seat setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago I considered a Sparco universal tilt mount which let you mount a fixed back seat and by releasing a lever on the back of the mount, would enable you to tilt the seat forward. I considering getting one for the passenger side GT3 seat. In the end I decided just to use the normal sliders on the passenger side and a BK floor mount on the drivers side. The passenger seat slides forward plenty enough for wife to access rear seat.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
michaeldunavin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
In what way?
I'm referring to ingress/egress of the child seat. If you're planning to put the child seat in while the passenger seat is out, no problem. I thought I had a pic of my interior, but I don't. I'll take one tonight and post tomorrow. Cheers!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Do you need for both seats to be 6pt compatible?

If not, have you considered running one PP, and one stock seat? The PP could be the seat you remove when you're dealing with the roll bar and the stock seat for easy access to the car seat.

You could cover the PP in matching leather with the money you save by buying just the one seat.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
aldito2
AutoX

if youre racing it. do what is safest imo. better a safe seat than a matching one
Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The passenger seat slides forward plenty enough for wife to access rear seat.
You make her ride in back?
Sparco universal tilt mount
Interesting...guessing it isn't ok for DE...but wondering if it could be set up so an extra bolt is put in place when DE, then take it out to allow tilt for street...
If not, have you considered running one PP, and one stock seat?
Trouble is, I'm an instructor...if I'm in 6 pt and HANS, and ask a student to use a 3 point. Not even sure that's allowed. I know for students they have to have equal safety on both sides. Only seems fair.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I'm just going to order 2 black leather PP and mount them on sliders. I'll just have to punt and hope that they slide forward enough for A) car seat in and out, B) luggage in and out, C) 6 year old in and out, and D) (praying) rollbar in and out.

If I'm wrong, leather PP seem to get gobbled up pretty fast and I probably wouldn't lose to much. If they don't work out due to comfort with the wife, I'll switch to the Cobra Misano X or whatever the one is that has the hole in the seat, or perhaps keep one PP and put in a black Sport Topline for comfort.

If they don't work out due to movement forward and back, but comfort is ok, I'll probably suck up the $ and get the 997 GT2 seats used somewhere when they come up.

I'm going to check out the Sparco universal tilt mount more too.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 AM
michaeldunavin
AutoX

Originally Posted by JPS
BTW...pics please? Mine is classic grey Would have preferred cashmere or marble, but insisting on the one exterior color I wanted made it difficult to focus on interior color.
Hey JPS ... here's a pic of my leather Pole Positions on sliders with DAS bar. Sorry for the quality, the car's in hibernation mode. As you can see, there's not a lot of room for backseat access. Even with the seat as far forward as the sliders allow, the space between the seat and pillar is tight (I do have the seats mounted as far back on the sliders as I can, so a more forward mount might give you the space you need). And the DAS bars (harness guide and cross bar) limit access between the seats. Hope this helps with your decision process. I love the seats, BTW.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, the wife is now asking for Sport Topline instead for the passenger side. She said she's rolled with everything else (suspension, sometimes squeaky Pagid brakes, sometimes stalling, and the ridiculous semi-solid transmission mount), but said she doesn't want to be stuck in traffic with almost no padding. Fair ask.

Assuming Nemo doesn't mess us up too badly, we are going to go seat sitting tomorrow
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
Alright. Now this thread's got me wondering ... are there any Recaro seats out there that are arguably as "all-day comfortable" as my stock seats, yet still appreciably lighter?
BUMPing rather than starting a new thread for this question ... I've been researching and it seems like the Sportster CS might be "all-day comfortable." Any comments? I wonder if they're as good as my stock seats or if they're much lighter ...

Last edited by callipygian 911; 02-09-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldunavin
Hey JPS ... here's a pic of my leather Pole Positions on sliders with DAS bar.
Hi Michael, thanks for the useful pic. As an aside, what sidemounts are you using? I'm trying to get a feel for the height of the belt slots wrt the DAS crossbar, and if different sidemounts provide different seat heights.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thx Michael.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by callipygian 911

BUMPing rather than starting a new thread for this question ... I've been researching and it seems like the Sportster CS might be "all-day comfortable." Any comments? I wonder if they're as good as my stock seats or if they're much lighter ...
The CS's are listed as 31 lbs
Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I'm thinking, based upon the fit in someone else's car shown below, still a 993 with Pole Positions and a DAS bar, that I can probably get away with it, especially since the pics show the belts routed incorrectly (I let the owner, who I'll not name cuz I didn't ask, know he should reroute them). Open to thoughts.

So I'm thinking I'll go with the PP driver and Sport Topline for the passenger in black. I'd like to have the same seats and have them in the grey color. However, I need the back seat and my wife has finally vetoed something on the track side (seat), and the cost of custom leather is $$.

I have seen online the Toplines seemingly come in a light grey. If I could source that, perhaps I'd suck up the recover costs for the PP. Anyone know if the light grey on the Topline matches the light grey of a 993?

Could this be more convoluted?
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thoughts on the fit?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, just to close the loop, I made a decision.

I'm going with a black leather pole position driver and black leather Sport Topline and black leather Pole Position with some new black top mats front and rear.

I had considered 2 Pole Positions, but my A) concerned about rear seat access and B) my wife said she'd prefer more comfort.

I considered having them done in a grey from Recaro, but the greys are the wrong shade.

I considered sending the right shade of leather to Recaro, but they took a year last time and I've heard they aren't much faster now.

I considered buying cloth and having them recovered in grey leather, but $$$.

I considered dying them, but that doesn't seem so long term with a color change...more restoring the color you have now.

I haven't considered whether I'm selling the custom cashmere color Sport Toplines I have now.

Hopefully looks good when it's done.

Quick Reply: Opinions on non-standard seat setup