993 Forum 1995-1998

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by rossos2k
It looks like a cross member on the lift is in the way of the trans. I wont be able to use the lift to drop the motor after all. Darn.

Anybody have ideas to get around this?
This mod is what one and possibly many have done.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rossos2k
It looks like a cross member on the lift is in the way of the trans. I wont be able to use the lift to drop the motor after all. Darn.

Anybody have ideas to get around this?
Search is your friend. Many have cut the cross member out, and fabricated a removable piece out of larger tubing.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You can see where mine is cut out....
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM
rossos2k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the atlas is build a little different. Here is a photo Im copying from earlier in this thread.

As you can see on the left there is a single flat bar of metal, looks like opposite end of the left doesnt have that bar due to the hydraulic cylinders being in the way. I would assume I can just cut that out and be fine. The lift is rated for 6000 lbs. Well over what I will ever be putting on it.

Thoughts?

Old 03-03-2014, 04:14 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u cut urs out w no ill effects then I'll cut mine

Honestly I think you'd be fine cutting it but it's hard to tell how it's loaded/ functioning for support to me...

Also u could move the car further back and use the truck stands will give u another 6" over that bar. A member here moved his swing arms to the furthest aft physical position on their track (not in the locking tabs!). To me that seemed dicey but it worked for him and he said the car was stable.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The general design is the same, but that rear section appears to be a lighter flatbar instead of tube like on the BP. No reason you couldn't do the same-cut out center leaving a couple of inches on each side for ears, then replace with a full length piece of bar bolts to the ears-at least it sure looks that way.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:22 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed this on mine and just planned to cut it out similar to the way the guys with the BendPak lift did their mod... simply leaving 3" or so per side and get a piece of similar thickness plate steel, drill 2 holes in it on each end (obviously with matching holes in the section you left from your original brace piece) and bolt it to the front or back side. Easy peazy...

EDIT: 86 that idea. Yep, just confirmed the construction is integrated with the bars that allow the positioning and leverage from the arms... also looking, I believe I have enough room if I sit the car back slightly further. Thanks fellas.

Last edited by RichPugh; 03-04-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

You may want to think twice before cutting that bar on an Atlas lift, it is also the brace / end piece for the sections that house the adjustment / sliding section of the arms that actually support the vehicle. I suggest you go to their website and fully look over the pictures to see what is what before ordering.....

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I would have to agree cutting the bar at the end would render the arms useless and could lead to catastrophic failure that would not be covered by warranty or your home owners insurance.

The Bendpak is completely different with two separate platforms independent from the other except by the lower torsion bar. It does allow free access to the entire underside of the car and can be used for engine removal.

As you can see the wider stance of the lift and clear center leave me adequate room to drop the engine and drive train from this C4 I picked up recently. Which I will be doing over the next few weeks.

Although the atlas seems to be quite capable of every other task.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Atlas and can tell you it is possible to drop the engine and transmission with that unit as built. Set the car way back. As far as you can.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Not all Bendpak's are the same...Yours is obviously different than the scissors many here have.

if concern was there about the arm slots, a cross beam could be welded between them several inches forward.

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would have to agree cutting the bar at the end would render the arms useless and could lead to catastrophic failure that would not be covered by warranty or your home owners insurance.

The Bendpak is completely different with two separate platforms independent from the other except by the lower torsion bar. It does allow free access to the entire underside of the car and can be used for engine removal.

As you can see the wider stance of the lift and clear center leave me adequate room to drop the engine and drive train from this C4 I picked up recently. Which I will be doing over the next few weeks.

Although the atlas seems to be quite capable of every other task.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not all Bendpak's are the same...Yours is obviously different than the scissors many here have.

if concern was there about the arm slots, a cross beam could be welded between them several inches forward.
I agree the SP-7x is a bit heavier duty than the MD-6XP bendpak. The 6XP is quite similar to the Atlas and has the same cross bar towards the end of the lift. If you cut off the connecting bar between the two platforms what will keep the platform from bending down and out under heavy load with the arms extended out to their fullest position?

It is possible that it may work however if it does fail good luck with that.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 AM
rossos2k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
I have the Atlas and can tell you it is possible to drop the engine and transmission with that unit as built. Set the car way back. As far as you can.
I was looking at it last night and I think you might be right.

I will figure it out.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

please start a new thread for the chit-chat???????

As one who is actively searching for a lift for the new house, I occasionally troll this thread hoping to see that there is indeed a "group buy" in the offing.
Nope.

Thanks

Craig
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I agree the SP-7x is a bit heavier duty than the MD-6XP bendpak. The 6XP is quite similar to the Atlas and has the same cross bar towards the end of the lift. If you cut off the connecting bar between the two platforms what will keep the platform from bending down and out under heavy load with the arms extended out to their fullest position?

It is possible that it may work however if it does fail good luck with that.

The BP is pretty damned robust, and at only 1/2 of the rated weight with a 993 on it, I see no signs of deformation when it's up and the crossbrace removed. The thickness of the plate used for the formed channels, and the two main cross braces seem to retain shape quite well.

The removable tube I fab'd is bolted with two 1/2" bolts on either side, and can be put in place as soon as a trans is out of the way, if one were concerned about twisting.

Quick Reply: Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift