Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is anyone considering swapping out their aftermarket suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone considering swapping out their aftermarket suspension?

If so....

I'd be interested in purchasing.

or should this only be in the WTB section?

Cheers!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting idea - you would provide your stock suspension?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J
Interesting idea - you would provide your stock suspension?

I sure would be willing. I am also up for a straight purchase if someone is looking to get upgrade to PSS-10s or to get rid of them.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Ok, mind if I put myself second in line? The Turbo is running stock shocks with Eibach springs.. but then again with 50K miles on the shocks, they are worth like $0 so it would have to be a purchase.

:-)

cheers,

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
travanx
Pro

I have a stock suspension sitting around.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

CR8s,
No reason you can't also put a post in the WTB section, but I would. Suggest you provide some more specifics. To me aftermarket means non OEM, but that includes KW, H&R, eibach....
And thus you are NOT looking for M030, or M033, which would be OEM springs.
By suspension, are you looking for shocks and springs only?
Sway bars? Uprights? Etc...

What exactly are your objectives? How much street and how much track?
Sorry, my engineering background is creeping in.

Good luck.

PS, hope the car is everything you hoped it would be!

Take care.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kika
CR8s,
No reason you can't also put a post in the WTB section, but I would. Suggest you provide some more specifics. To me aftermarket means non OEM, but that includes KW, H&R, eibach....
And thus you are NOT looking for M030, or M033, which would be OEM springs.
By suspension, are you looking for shocks and springs only?
Sway bars? Uprights? Etc...

What exactly are your objectives? How much street and how much track?
Sorry, my engineering background is creeping in.

Good luck.

PS, hope the car is everything you hoped it would be!

Take care.
Kika,

Great to hear from you and great points. How annoying are novices?

RListers, I am planning on purchasing the Bilstein HDs with H&R Springs for a 1.4"ish drop. I would like an improved suspension for primarily road use and future DEs as I get more involved with the car. I like the flexibility of adjustable coil overs but they seem to be overkill for what I am looking for.

Full disclosure, I am overwhelmed with the options available and everyone as a slightly different opinion. Therefore, I was debating gabbing used suspension sets as I figure out what suits me best.

Maybe not the best idea but I thought I'd see what options presented themselves. I tend to overdue things and will probably go with the HDs/H&Rs.

BUT...if anyone is thinking of changing their setup I am curious and interested.

Hope this helps a little...all inputs are encouraged and appreciated!
Cheers,
Cr8r
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Cr8r, the problem with this approach is that you'll pay about 70% of the price of new suspension for just teh shocks and springs. Than you'll pay or spend time on install and pay $300 or so for alignment. It gets pretty expensive and pretty old really fast.

A better suggestion is to drive a couple cars with different suspensions and decide. I'll be quite serious in saying that you would spend less money flying somewhere for the weekend and driving someone's car tahn swapping your own suspension. Rennlist community being what it is, I'm sure no such drastic measures will be needed. I personally have a cab on HDs/M030 that you are welcome to drive in Boston starting in April.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
veblenesque
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and second this comment. When I bought my 993 with a stock suspension, I "upgraded" to a used set of H&R coilovers. It doesn't matter whether you install them yourself or have someone else do it, replacing the suspension is an expensive (or time consuming) undertaking. After I paid a lot of money to have them installed, I found out that the front shocks were worn and the ride was a little more harsh than I wanted. The best idea is to spend time to decide which setup is right for you - if I had to do it over again, I'd choose the Koni FSDs - and then buy a new set from one of the trusted sellers on this list. Accept that it will cost $3k up front or live with stock.

Originally Posted by nile13
Cr8r, the problem with this approach is that you'll pay about 70% of the price of new suspension for just teh shocks and springs. Than you'll pay or spend time on install and pay $300 or so for alignment. It gets pretty expensive and pretty old really fast.

A better suggestion is to drive a couple cars with different suspensions and decide. I'll be quite serious in saying that you would spend less money flying somewhere for the weekend and driving someone's car tahn swapping your own suspension. Rennlist community being what it is, I'm sure no such drastic measures will be needed. I personally have a cab on HDs/M030 that you are welcome to drive in Boston starting in April.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^ This is the conclusion I have come to also.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Thanks all. Not sure way sometimes we require other advice and experiences when we already knew what made the most sense in the beginning

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Great advice, to drive other cars, also an opportunity to get to know your local rennlisters!
Even traveling a bit can be a load of fun, ROADTRIP!

A great place might also be to go to a POC or PCA event where modified suspensions are likely to be on a variety of cars, and you can drive the car a bit harder than on the street.

Last edited by Kika; 01-26-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I am, actually, not at all adverse to buying slightly used suspension. Both my 993s ended up with previously used HDs with very low miles. But that was after I was fairly convinced that I'll be going with HDs (with H&Rs on the first car, with M030 on the second).

As an aside - am I convinced that it's the right solution for me? Not quite, but it's a decent compromise for my needs at a good price. I think you'll come to similar conclusion based on intended dual use, unless you go with something like KW Variants, JICs or similar at 2X the price. As a matter of fact, if you can still find a good JIC Magic somewhere for a reasonable price...
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

...., JICs or similar at 2X the price. As a matter of fact, if you can still find a good JIC Magic somewhere for a reasonable price...
JIC is pretty much out of business, they can rebuild some shocks w/ what's left on the shelves

for what the O/P is looking for Bilstein HDs w/ RoW M030 springs is probably a good target set,

a full coil over set is a step up as it includes improved(for track use) shock mounts and wider spring choices

sway bars are something else to look into
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
JIC is pretty much out of business, they can rebuild some shocks w/ what's left on the shelves

for what the O/P is looking for Bilstein HDs w/ RoW M030 springs is probably a good target set,

a full coil over set is a step up as it includes improved(for track use) shock mounts and wider spring choices

sway bars are something else to look into
This is exactly my set up:Bilstein HD, RoW M030 springs, and most recently, RoW Turbo Sway Bars. To me, it is about as aggressive as I would want a street car to be.
I went too far with my last 911, which was not comfortable for the street.

It is a pretty common set up, so it should be pretty easy to test drive someone's car. If you ever find yourself out in LA, I certainly would let you drive my car, and I still owe you a beer or two!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Is anyone considering swapping out their aftermarket suspension?