Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Thanks Colin...

The power curve is very interesting, very flat from 5750 all the way to redline... I take it this is a factor of both head flow and cam choice.
.... intake plenum modifications, intake & exhaust port profiles, valve size, valve lift, valve timing, piston design & squish heights, compression ratio, combustion chamber design, burn speed control, combustion event normalisation.....

Yes, it's the cam.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Such a nice build, very interesting to see how your friend Wayne has been able to massage the motronic into working with this heavily evolved engine spec!

BTW love the smurf blue, the owner should ditch the seats and fit Alloy Kirkey seats painted body colour;-)

One day....lottery....etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Good idea re: using motronic. What octane do you tune for & what correction factor do you use for driveline losses?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ToSi
Good idea re: using motronic. What octane do you tune for & what correction factor do you use for driveline losses?
The car is running Shell V-Power 97 octane only.

Our dyno measures rolling losses, adds it to the rear wheel numbers and then corrects to DIN standards so we have no control over the cf for the runs, but 350hp is typical of this conversion on the 9m dyno though.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NineMeister
Patience is a virgin.....

Latest dyno plot attached, 350hp & 429Nm. The engine is what we call a 9m 993 Varioram +3 specification which has rods, 102mm 9m pistons & cylinders, 9m billet heads, 9m Sport cams, 9m Sport valve spring set, ported Varioram intake with 100 cell cats. The air pump system has been partially deleted (not required in Europe) and the 88pin ecu fully remapped. The rev limit has now been raised to 7500rpm.

(Before anyone asks, this set up is fine for European legislation I don't think it would be suitable to pass US engine check standards, hence we are looking at other solution at the moment for the US market.)

Toyo R888 are road legal so that's how the 9mRS will leave our premises on its way back to Europe. Fronts are 235/40 rear are 285/30 on 8.5" & 10" x18" Rays TE37 rims. We had to roll the rear arches to get the 285 tyres to clear.
Colin:
350 bhp & 429 Nm is really satisfying to see

The reason I have decided not to put ITB's on and remap with Motec is that I would probably fail an MOT. When we drive at local track day events we currently enjoy the cover of our insurance but this require that we have a car that is road legal.
If I, with this current set up, installed ITB's, Motec and a more purpose full header what improvements would you expect in regards to power and torque? and at what rpm's assuming that I stay with the rest of the engine as is?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

what a fantastic build! Love the 9M stuff!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is pretty much the same spec engine but with 9m Race cams, ITB's and Motec. Runs stock Bischoff 993 heat exchangers & 100 cell cats. It makes 400hp.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice power and I personally prefer to keep it simple, close to the way Porsche intended.

The car looks great, nice work...maybe it's me and having been around Rs's for too long...BUT why would anyone keep the headlamp wash...on a car where you have replicated so many RS details, it totally stands out?
Each to their own I assume.

I hope the new owner has a lot of fun with the car!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Colin. With the GBP so weak at the moment your upgraded engines are looking excellent "value". To replicate a similar set up as you mention above with ITBs etc what are we talking ballpark - 25k+ GBP?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Nice power and I personally prefer to keep it simple, close to the way Porsche intended.

The car looks great, nice work...maybe it's me and having been around Rs's for too long...BUT why would anyone keep the headlamp wash...on a car where you have replicated so many RS details, it totally stands out?
Each to their own I assume.

I hope the new owner has a lot of fun with the car!
Tank you Clubsport 1 for your kind comments!
The reason the headlight washers are still there is because it is requiered by law in Sweden to have them and they where original on the RS and RSCS sold new in Sweden as well, so it is to keep the car original and to pass MOT:-)

I do look forward to drive with my friends who have original RS cars and I kind of expect the 9M version to have an edge, time will tell!? :-)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Macca
Colin. With the GBP so weak at the moment your upgraded engines are looking excellent "value". To replicate a similar set up as you mention above with ITBs etc what are we talking ballpark - 25k+ GBP?
Yup, you're right in the ballpark for the engine. Need to allow for the Motec on top though, so for an ITB engine with a full custom engine harness it will set you back another £5k.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 AM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pipingken1
I assume if you have fitted R888 tyres that the car is not going to run on the road?

I'm looking for a tyre that I can drive to track days with and then on track but which won't wear at a alarming rate. (I use R888 on my 968 but they fit in the back of the car with no problem...not an option for the 993)

How does a 993 feel on the R888 tyre? (I think they do hard and soft from memory)

This has been a good thread.

Ken
Hi Ken,

I used to drive on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup but Colin suggested I try Toyo R888 in 2009 and it was a good suggestion!

The reason is that they have about the same grip and life but when you are on the edge of the grip they let go in a much more forgiving way such that, me being not a professional race driver, I can drive the car on a bit of a drift.
The MPSC had a tendency to loos the grip in a more dramatic way and hence I felt it more difficult to catch the car. They are also superior to the MPSC if there is a bit of water on the road where the Michelins where a nightmare!

In Europe they are street legal why we can use them to drive to and from the tracks. If you run a lot of camber then it will of course wear them down on the inside is you spend a lot of time on the highway but you can perhaps take a more interesting road to the track and then you may get away with it
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9MRSCS
Hi Ken,

I used to drive on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup but Colin suggested I try Toyo R888 in 2009 and it was a good suggestion!

The reason is that they have about the same grip and life but when you are on the edge of the grip they let go in a much more forgiving way such that, me being not a professional race driver, I can drive the car on a bit of a drift.
The MPSC had a tendency to loos the grip in a more dramatic way and hence I felt it more difficult to catch the car. They are also superior to the MPSC if there is a bit of water on the road where the Michelins where a nightmare!
I concur with your findings completely. One Speed Championship season I ran MSC tyres on my 993RSCS because there were no other options available to purchase. At that time I drove the car to and from events and duly got the shock of my life the first time I hit rain on the road - I ended up power sliding the car sideways for around 150m on a dual carriageway as I fought to regain control of the back end of the car after hitting shallow standing water. How on earth these tyres ever managed to get an E-mark to say they are road legal is completely beyond me. Dunlop D02G were much better but the R888 won my vote for best all rounder.

For my Speed Championship winning seasons I switched to Kuhmo Ecsta V700 V70A because they were available in a different compounds, my choice being medium for the hillclimb & sprint events I did. The V700 are another very good choice (and fairly competitively priced) but do require the car to be set up accurately and need a smooth driving style to get the best from them. For trackdays you would need the hard compound version.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

I've run MPSC for the past 5yrs, been pretty happy w/ them except in the rain, which I don't do anyway.

Yesterday was the first day trying NT01, I have to say I was impressed. Only issue was they seem to build pressure a lot more than MPSC.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill. If you think NT01 are good you will LOVE Hankook 221s - also called TD (you will have to hunt down a supply over there). Theres a detailed independant test using a 911 GT2 on the web which makes good reading (the test was in the States). The took the NT01 crown in the recent World Speed Time Attack comp....

Quick Reply: 9m93RS Clubsport #5 from USA origin Carrera 4