Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   9m93RS Clubsport #5 from USA origin Carrera 4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/734756-9m93rs-clubsport-5-from-usa-origin-carrera-4-a.html)

jstyer 03-24-2013 09:17 PM

Wow... Looks amazing Colin. When it comes to a "drop it off and forget it" experience, you guys truly are peerless. You take turn-key to the next level.

NineMeister 03-24-2013 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Last paint job on the shell falls to Rob to finish: the treatment of the front & rear screen apertures with special black paint which promotes full adhesive bond between the windscreen and the metalwork.

NineMeister 03-24-2013 09:30 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Take note of the timeline. Late Friday morning Robin started assembly by first fitting the oil and aircon lines with the shell was on axle stands.

You will also notice the waxoyl treatment inside the heater tube compartments to ensure that any areas burnt by the roll cage welding is at least protected from atmospheric moisture. Before painting we injected etch and primer into the cavity, this step is therefore a "just in case we missed a bit" measure of protection.

NineMeister 03-24-2013 09:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Come afternoon, the big guns came out to fit the wiring harness:

CalvinC4S 03-24-2013 10:00 PM

Love the work you guys do. I'm curious what material your using to make the cages. With technology where it is I'm betting it is lighter and stronger then original clubsport/cup. Or maybe just cold rolled?

What's the reason for the small holes in the bottom of the main hoop?

Nice work!

mongrelcat 03-24-2013 10:01 PM

Thanks for sharing, Colin! (and crew!)

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...4-dsc_6209.jpg

993Porsche 03-25-2013 08:37 AM

Another Dumb Question

I'm sure this has been asked, but what's the purpose of this? Thanks.

Originally Posted by NineMeister (Post 10320120)
Detail seam sealing of all welded areas:

NineMeister 03-25-2013 08:41 AM

From left to right: Robin, Richard, Marc (MC) and Mark.

Kein_Ersatz 03-25-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by NineMeister (Post 10329015)
Fully painted, 9m style:

Smurf-rrific! Craftsmanship on display. :corn:

clubsport1 03-25-2013 10:17 AM

9M, now you have posted the photos, I can see the quality of paintwork is as good in the luggage area as the rest of the car. It looks great!

It's not that my cage and luggage area isn't painted, it's quite common in these areas to see paintwork as 7/10 quality in comparison to the rest of the car Porsche painted.

I see you have added a knee bar to the cage, over the CS spec, is that something the customer requested?

NineMeister 03-25-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by clubsport1 (Post 10330091)
9M, now you have posted the photos, I can see the quality of paintwork is as good in the luggage area as the rest of the car. It looks great!

It's not that my cage and luggage area isn't painted, it's quite common in these areas to see paintwork as 7/10 quality in comparison to the rest of the car Porsche painted.

I see you have added a knee bar to the cage, over the CS spec, is that something the customer requested?

Cheers! :cheers:

Yes, cross brace under dash was another customer request.

In respect of the painting, 'tis true, Porsche seldom fully painted these sections. Very often we get to repair expensive "collector" cars like the 964RS & 993RS and in these circumstances we do go to great pains to match the original primer colours and exact overspray patterns on the inside of the boot aperture and floor. In fact, it's quite amusing to hear of cars being sold as "original paint, never damaged" when they have been through our bodyshop! ;)

JPP 03-25-2013 11:29 AM

^^^ Nice to see the team hard at it Colin :-) I really can't decide what phase of this process I enjoy the most .. taking them apart, the 'discovery 'O hidden surprises' .. heh ... the mod portions, the paint or the rebuild. It's the best show on the interwebz! :cheers:

NineMeister 03-25-2013 06:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lots more hard work today, starting with fitting the ridiculously badly designed 993RS sideskirts with the fixing lugs that snap off as soon as look at them.....

NineMeister 03-25-2013 06:35 PM

8 Attachment(s)
At the pointy end Robin set forth on fitting the secondary oil cooler:

NineMeister 03-25-2013 06:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
... followed by the ABS hydraulic system: