993 Forum 1995-1998

First Maintenance Of The Year

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Maintenance Of The Year

After a fellow 911uk member cracked my windscreen during our drive back from Le Mans Classic, I've finally put the wheels in motion to get the screen replaced.

Just called Classic Line insurance and they are going to fight my corner in getting an official Porsche screen approved. Fingers crossed they'll be OK with £660 including VAT plus fitting charge (via Porsche Byfleet).

Need to replace the glovebox cover, which decided to self descruct again over the winter. Not sure why and it's the third time I've had to fix it, so it'll be replaced with a new cover this time. Pretty sure it's a 928 part number! The rubber surrounding the instruments has started to perish a bit so I'm going to replaced those and I'll also check the condition of the speaker cones.

Manged to obtain a few stone chips this year, so I'll be back out with the Chipex and trying to make a decent job of it. Previous applications have gone pretty well, so I'm feeling OK about having a go again.

Will give the car a really good detail and machine polish one weekend this month and get her up on the ramps again to continue the underside clean up. Need to take all the chassis covers off to get to those hard to reach areas, but there's not too much left to do now. Replacing the lower cam covers and lower front wishbones cut out a lot of elbow grease. Still swearing by Tarminator and Xenit to remove the old cosmoline, tar and gunk.

I found a new Amber display Becker GP last year, so I'll fit that and put the red display one in the M3. She's due for a service in April, so between now and then I'm going to enjoy getting out in her more often, especially after covering only c.1500 miles during 2012. Will post photographic evidence to prove it!

Last edited by Cristel993; 01-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry about the needed repair. But look at it this way: You broke your windscreen on the way back from LeMans. I chipped mine going to the grocery store a mile from my house.

Don't feel so bad!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GLW updates. BTW: nice upgrades. Well thought out!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Polished mine up several days ago. It's now on jacks for the annual undercarriage detail.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be surprised if you have the original w/s in it now. I wouldn't fight for oem so much as just a good quality glass. Ask a local glass shop with a good rep what to use. Good glass by a good installer is more important. Your policy probably specifies it's needs to be like what you have not exactly what you had if you even had oem still.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
I'd be surprised if you have the original w/s in it now. I wouldn't fight for oem so much as just a good quality glass. Ask a local glass shop with a good rep what to use. Good glass by a good installer is more important. Your policy probably specifies it's needs to be like what you have not exactly what you had if you even had oem still.
It seems like some of the consensus I've read is that there isn't anyone making aftermarket glass any more. Having said that, for a windshield, I'd not want anything but OEM, to ensure proper fit.

Quick Reply: First Maintenance Of The Year