Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best garage floor coating?? Chime in please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tile longevity in a garage falls to two factors: the density of the tile (a vitrified porcelain is the best), and the quality of the installation. Any tile, due to it's dimensions, is relatively brittle, so the quality of it's bedding is what will keep it from cracking or breaking. Even softer material, like Quarry or Clinker Tile can last, if bedded correctly, though it will be prone to chipping.

If I was tiling my garage, it would be a fully vitrified porcelain, with rectified edge, and set butt joint. This would allow for easy rolling around of jacks and placement of jack stand.

That being said, Jack Olsen will be along any time to show his garage, which was done with an economical tile, and installed by himself, and it looks great.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Zuffenhausener
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some very impressive floors. If you intend on using your garage for working on your car at all I would think these spotted pattern floors would be a nightmare for finding dropped nuts and bolts. The last thing I would install personally. But then again I don't see any tools in most of these garages.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zuffenhausener
Some very impressive floors. If you intend on using your garage for working on your car at all I would think these spotted pattern floors would be a nightmare for finding dropped nuts and bolts. The last thing I would install personally. But then again I don't see any tools in most of these garages.
Believe it or not, it's not that bad. Broken glass would be a nightmare, but most nuts/bolts/gaskets/etc. contrast pretty easily. Not sure if you were trolling with your tool comment, but I have plenty of tools in my "fancy" garage. I just don't service my own car since I don't have a PIWIS nor the time to do maintenance on it....
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Best garage floor coating.....

.....engine oil?

hawr hawr hawr.

(had to, sorry)

Take care!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuffenhausener
Some very impressive floors. If you intend on using your garage for working on your car at all I would think these spotted pattern floors would be a nightmare for finding dropped nuts and bolts.
That is true especially as you get older and you find that need reading glasses in the garage for so many jobs

If I had my way I would have a nice storage garage with the fancy floor and a separate working shop with a plain painted floor.

Last edited by matt777; 01-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Zuffenhausener
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Believe it or not, it's not that bad. Broken glass would be a nightmare, but most nuts/bolts/gaskets/etc. contrast pretty easily. Not sure if you were trolling with your tool comment, but I have plenty of tools in my "fancy" garage. I just don't service my own car since I don't have a PIWIS nor the time to do maintenance on it....
Definitely not trolling with that comment. I probably didn't give much consideration to how that might be received. I understand most of these cars go to a shop for most work--as it should be.

My garage floor was painted by the previous owners and for a reason that escapes me this cement floor paint has a sort of speckled top coat that looks like Jackson Pollack was here. It drives me up the wall because it's as good as camouflage for dropped fasteners and the like. Feel like I need a metal detector to pick things off the floor. Maybe one day I'll paint the floor a nice bright yellow with a big black and red Stuttgart crest in the middle!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM
scped
Instructor

Anyone with experience using "plastic" tiles like SwissTrax?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
I would highly suggest professional installation. I have done it myself with ok results but have had a local company do it that specializes in floor coatings and the difference is night and day. Here is my current floor:

nathan1 -sorry to hijack this thread but can you tell me more about your lift?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dnmnm
Looking forward to your pictures...! I'm considering polishing my concrete floor as well.
Here is a quick picture of the floor. I'm having the driveway done now so I cant move the cars outside. Polishing was done 1 year ago and should be maintained yearly.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
That is true especially as you get older and you find need reading glasses in the garage for so many jobs
Hey, I resemble that comment!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I never get the need to pretty up a shop floor - my floor is, well, concrete and proud of it. No treatments, no epoxy, no tiles, no strips, nothing - but concrete. Its take 20+ years of car maintenance, engine drops, tools and heavy objects dropping on it and you know what - its held up! I scrub it once a year and make a pass with the 4000pst 13HP pressure washer, cleans up and its ready for the next year. No worries, no fuss.

Its bad enough I have to watch the car as not to ding/scratch/damage anything, but I do not want to watch the floors.

(oops - ok flame suit on!).

cheers,

Mike
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I think this is aimed at home garages and that's why it's all gone this direction. My home garage is pretty, my shop and lift is for working and not all about aesthetics but is always clean bare concrete.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the ideal of a smooth surface, either polished concrete or tile appeal, so that it is easy to sweep out, or hose out. I think my concrete is too porous to polish nicely, not sure. JD, I like that finish you've got.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Really smooth surfaces + oil = falling. Why is not well finished concrete not easy to sweep and hose out?

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Best garage floor coating?? Chime in please!