Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installation thread for KONI FSD suspension - UPDATE #1

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 210 Posts

The drop link dust covers needed replacment.

When removing the drop link be sure to use some liquid wrench at the hub and down below. These are exposed to the elements and cake up allot of crud. You don't want to strip these - it would be a real PIA.

I found a great source on EBAy for these (exact fit and inexpensive). For some reason these are hard to come by in the US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150745546351...84.m1497.l2649

Here is a better shot of the refinished caliper. This one was in pretty bad shape - peeling and dull.

Here is a picture on the dust covers and rubber stoppers that needed repacment - there is one of these for each strut/shock. The covers run @ $8 each and the stoppers are $16

The rubber gasket for the struts (black "Germany" rubbers) sit atop the strut tower.

Also, rember that the upper part of the strut is directional (red dot to the front) and I believe, right and left. Be sure to label these as you take them out upon removing the old struts.

Here is a picture on the rear shock partially installed:

Mysuspension arms still need to be cleaned up a bit.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote
Is there a way to check these bushings without removing the control arms? Any photos or detailed instructions would be nice. I have looked at mine as best I can but it isn't obvious with them in the car.
with them on the car the front one you can see only slightly up close and personal with a bright flash light, you may see tiny rubber cracks, ther rear I don't think I was able to inspect with the light. I think there is a way to use a breaker bar on them to see if there is abnormal play. but as mentioned above its a timing thing, might as well while you have it apart. And you'll "save" on doing the alignment once for the bushing/new shocks as opposed have to do it twice for what its worth.

rob
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
I was told by my mechanic that Bilstein will not warranty anything bought outside of the US. Is this the same with Koni? I was thinking I might buy these from Carnewal but don't want to buy them if they don't have a warranty.
The shocks that we sell come with a 2 year unlimited warranty.
Any warranty case is handled through us and we solve the issue with Bilstein or Koni. We have quite a good relationship with these companies.
For Bilstein, we "invented" the HD with extra threads (now called B6XT) which is now the default 993 shock for the US market.
We helped Koni with them with the development of the Koni FSD for the 964 and currently with another project ....
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

At the time I removed the old struts. I noticed the front drop link covers were pretty messed up.

I found some replacements off EBAY.

You have to make sure to get the correct diameters when ordering them.

bottom 25 mm
top 10mm
height 24 mm

The factory cover is held on the top by an O ring and on the bottom by a metal spring type ring. One you remove the metal ring retaining the OEM cover will be easy to get off. The replacement unit uses the larger rubber O ring shown which works well.

Before:

After (after cleaning the metal with some degreasing solvent on a rag, under the rubber cap is alot of grease which you want to leaving in place.)

Reinstalling them is easy.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

that is a really good tip. My front drop links were looking like yours, but I ordered up new from sunset. Who knew just boots were available? Live and learn.

rob
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
Who knew just boots were available? Live and learn.

rob
Rob, there are all sorts of boots available for many applications from Seals-It.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Rob, there are all sorts of boots available for many applications from Seals-It.
Thanks, I may want to reboot the rear toe arm as the boot is twisted permant like, but thankfully no cracks.

rob
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

The front struts are all installed.

59 ft pounds on the top mount
88 ft pounds on the small bolt down below
157 ft pounds on the large bolt

I inspected the control arm bushings and they are like new - car has @ 26K on it. Rubber is like new and there is no play.

The rubber on all of the boots was "as new" with the exception of the drop link boots which had taken a beating.

The one rear shock is installed (with the exception of the drop link).

I just got word from KONI thay are sendingme the replacment one today - awesome customer service.

In the next weeks I should have the suspension all done, wheels on the car, and ride height set. It's then off to an alignment.

I mounted my turbo wing in the meantime, I decided to use a custom decal as opposed to a factory insignia.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Great work !!

So the Brit ebay seller will ship to the US ??
Final cost ?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

The British EBAY seller that sold me the new dust covers for the drop links will ship to the US.

The total cost for a pair (shipping and PayPal fees include) was @ $12.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Dplus
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looks nice but...

...your decal person spelled "Carrera" wrong.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

That is hilarious. I looked at it late last night, and thought it looked off, like the Font is off. But, it is the spelling, perhaps, that makes it look wrong.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dplus
...your decal person spelled "Carrera" wrong.
Easy to do, after all the years I still have to think twice.
I used a vinyl decal on my duck tail. Various sizes available from these guys: http://www.acromann.com/index.php?ma...sort=2a&page=2
Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have not been following this thread - good work so far.

Honestly, I do not like that sticker on the tail, it's does not look right with the rest of the car, I like the factory script much better. It may also look odd on a Turbo tail as well ( I am used to seeing "Turbo" there - haha).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Oh, well - time for a new decal (they peel off anyway).

I think I will loose the red accent, use a thinner script, and just balck - and use the correct spelling this time.

I have to adjust the gap on the driver's side - it is off a bit in the pic.

Quick Reply: Installation thread for KONI FSD suspension - UPDATE #1