Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Any info on the dealership Top Gear Imports? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/732708-any-info-on-the-dealership-top-gear-imports.html)

Ed Hughes 05-01-2013 11:20 PM

Pretty diverse points of view on them....

ilko 05-02-2013 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sulley007 (Post 10426171)
I bought a car from Top Gear Imports, LLC in New Jersey and dealt with Sean Rajan and Aret Yilanjian and based on my personal experience I could not recommend to anyone to purchase from them. If you google Sean Rajan you will see a number of complaints and lawsuits when he was involved with Riverside Audi. I wish I had seen that and sites like this before I had dealings with them.

I did not know that Sean from Riverside Audi was involved in this operation. Based on that alone I would never purchase a car from them. His reputation precedes him, a simple internet search can be very revealing.

Originally Posted by rare911s (Post 10429976)
They've bought several of my cars, when I decide to sell a car, I put it out there for a little bit, no takers, I call them, its far to irritating to get little more $$ sometimes & I'll already have another Car in Mind.

That being said, they're no BS & have nice cars, everything I've sold them was Top condition, serviced etc. They just bought a 930 from me that absolutely stunning, Completely Modified, 15k original miles, wouldn't be surprised if they E Bay it, It might come up in the 930 forum.

There's two Shops near Them Protosport & Powertech that can do Very Reliable PPI's. I would NOT do business with demon motors ever again, that's for sure, three times was three to many.

After some digging I found that rare911s was the person who bought the yellow C4S off ebay last year and flipped it to Top Gear. Naturally he wants to continue to do business with them. I spoke with the PO of that car and he told me that it had SAI issues. So "Top condition, serviced etc." can be interpreted in different ways I guess...

So yes, there are two points of view on this matter.

2qwik4u 05-02-2013 08:38 AM

I saw your 930...beautiful! Both parties got a fair deal.

Ed Hughes 05-02-2013 11:17 AM

I'd say it's pretty clear: buy from these guys at your own risk.

It's funny, there are "always" the ones that will say "we got a great deal-guy was very straight forward to deal with", etc. Then, there is the exact opposite comment.

It seem to always ring true, that when there is smoke, there is fire.

niche 05-02-2013 11:44 AM

I'm with you, Ed. Always buy from the owner, if possible. Not that all owners are straight up, but personally I've had mostly good experiences. If I were to buy from a dealer, I would go to Truspeed and European Collectables. Known a few guys who've bought from them and they were good.

malan1 05-02-2013 12:00 PM

I looked into purchasing a 993TT from this dealer 8 months ago. My personal experience with the owner Sean was negative.

There is a lot info on this dealer readily available to any potential buyer. Enough negative info to warrant detailed inspection prior to any type transaction.

Caveat Emptor!

JPP 05-02-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by G-MASSA (Post 10427450)
I nearly completed a transaction on a white / chestnut 993 this spring. The description and conversations said clean auto check. That may be true, however I decided to run a Carfax at the last minute And it revealed accident damage. .... I had initially set my gut feelings aside because of the excitement of getting a Porsche - Then I came to my senses and I canceled my wire transfer and the deal immediately.

That's a shame because that car's color combo is very rare and it looked great in the pictures .. for a first time 993 purchaser it would be difficult to overlook the problems you discovered and the obviously deceptive tactics and renegotiate it to a lower price to make a fair deal. I guess my point is, the more experienced Porsche buyer might have gone forward with a clean, independant PPI for less money but you need to know what you're looking at.

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 10430573)
After some digging I found that rare911s was the person who bought the yellow C4S off ebay last year and flipped it to Top Gear.

Yeah ... I made that connection as well but to be honest, it just doesn't bother me that another user saw an opportunity, had the knowledge and resources to take advantage of it and had great timing.

To his credit, he let a consignment dealer handle the flip and let's face it, we ALL knew this car probably had a LOT of hidden surprises and deferred maintenance, not to mention the rust in the windshield cowl .. That whole deal was a great peek behind the curtain of what a used car dealer does to move inventory and make a living, none of these guy's .. Sloan and Holt and RPM included .. can afford to repair badly maintained cars. That's OUR job .. they just provide the display window and the illusion of integrity when we get bored of our toys and don't want to deal with the sale.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes (Post 10430975)
I'd say it's pretty clear: buy from these guys at your own risk.

I'd say 'buy from ANYBODY at your own risk' .. Dealer, Private Party .. it really doesn't matter. You have to protect your interest through personal and professional inspection ... nobody is looking out for you except you. Caveat Emptor.

Quadcammer 05-02-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by JPP (Post 10431092)
I'd say 'buy from ANYBODY at your own risk' .. Dealer, Private Party .. it really doesn't matter. You have to protect your interest through personal and professional inspection ... nobody is looking out for you except you. Caveat Emptor.

Absolutely. I trust absolutely no one when it comes to car sales, including individual owners.

ericthepilot 05-02-2013 12:24 PM

My ex 993S is now on their Ebay site. Very different listing then I would ever dare to say about that car.
Impressive how good the interpretation of the docs are according to them.

Caveat Emptor indeed, very much so.

2qwik4u 05-02-2013 12:47 PM

If its the 98s please pm me and provide some details. My buddy is very interested in it. Tx

2qwik4u 05-02-2013 12:48 PM

To be exact arena red

ericthepilot 05-02-2013 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2qwik4u (Post 10431214)
To be exact arena red

pm sent

CalvinC4S 05-02-2013 04:41 PM

"87 911, RS 3.8 Motec" rebuilt at 15k miles.

I think I know this car, was it done at MODE?

SSTAR 05-02-2013 06:17 PM

Had a car at Top Gear PPI'd. Nothing near advertised condition. They refunded my deposit after a call but still had to go through the PPI process.

eeterp 05-02-2013 11:29 PM

Let's see...
  1. misleading ads
  2. failure to disclose accident history
  3. photoshopped pictures
  4. history of scams at Riverside Audi