993 Forum 1995-1998

Warning do not put the remote key alarm unit into the washer

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning do not put the remote key alarm unit into the washer

Forgot that my keys were in my pocket and washed a pair of jeans only to find my keys in the washer!!
So I need to program a new remote
Where do I get the 4 digit code I need to enter to start the programing of the remotes

If I do it wrong will it affect the existing working remote ?
Anyone have any tips or words of advice when doing this??/
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same with one of my remotes, maybe I was lucky but it still works. Let the remote dry out completely and try replacing the battery in the unit and see if that doesn't make it work. If you determine that the remote is completely dead you might want to order a replacement. You will need to gather all of your other remotes you have for the car as they will all need to be reprogrammed together. Your local Porsche dealer can look up your alarm code and supply that to you provided that you supply them with sufficient ownership documentation. Good Luck!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

I have washed several car remotes and my wife even somehow washed one of our tv remotes and they all still worked after drying out.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

Put it in a ziploc of rice to dry out. Rice is a fair dessicant. I did this with a cell phone I washed once, and it worked fine after it dried out. I forget how long I put in in there, but I think it was a day or two.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

+1...I washed mine,let it dry out,put a new battery in and it worked
Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

After a wash and dry cycle mine no longer works.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

There are 2 things to worry about with water damage,
1. Short circuits, which can fry electronics. If this occurs, damage will be pretty much instant and the electronics will not longer function
2. Corrosion takes longer to manifest itself. if there is any residual moisture, it could take weeks or longer before damage fully takes effect. just because it works immediately after a dunking, doe not mean that no damage will take place.

fortunately the alarm remote is a single circuit board. remove it from the case and completely dry it off, maybe even use a hair dryer.

Cell phones have multiple layers and water can easily be trapped between layers.

in response to the OP question, take your registration to a dealer and request the immobilizer code. they should be able to look it up and give it to you.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Yasek
Put it in a ziploc of rice to dry out. Rice is a fair dessicant.
Originally Posted by Kika
There are 2 things to worry about with water damage,
1. Short circuits, which can fry electronics. If this occurs, damage will be pretty much instant and the electronics will not longer function
2. Corrosion takes longer to manifest itself. if there is any residual moisture, it could take weeks or longer before damage fully takes effect. just because it works immediately after a dunking, doe not mean that no damage will take place.

fortunately the alarm remote is a single circuit board. remove it from the case and completely dry it off, maybe even use a hair dryer....
^^^This. (I'm guessing Kika works in electronics...)

Important to open the thing up and get it VERY dry before re-powering. "I dried it with a paper towel and it looks dry" isn't good enough... I like the ziplock of rice after the hairdryer, since that gets the water that is trapped underneath (and seeping inside) chips and other components (which leads to Kika's point #2). Ive heard of people using the toaster oven (or oven) on a low temp for an hour to get a thorough drying process.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been a week and mine still does not work. In the tech Bulletin #9501 it says that the immobilizer 4 digit code is the last 4 digits of the serial number on the immobilizer unit.
1) Can anyone tell me if they used the last four digits of the serial number to program the remote.
2) If that does work can anyone tell me where the immobilizer unit is located.
3) If I do it wrong will it stop my good remote from working
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this kinda like "don't use the hair dryer in the tub"?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks993
It has been a week and mine still does not work. In the tech Bulletin #9501 it says that the immobilizer 4 digit code is the last 4 digits of the serial number on the immobilizer unit.
1) Can anyone tell me if they used the last four digits of the serial number to program the remote.
2) If that does work can anyone tell me where the immobilizer unit is located.
3) If I do it wrong will it stop my good remote from working
+1 on kjr914 recommendation for drying out a remote...You should open the unit and remove the circuit card assy, and remove the battery, to properly dry the remote inside and out.

I believe the immobilizer unit is under the passenger seat. If you have a complete set of owners manuals, you should have a key card with the four digit immobilizer code.

If you are missing the immobilzer key card, you can go to a Porsche dealer with your car, current registration, and drivers licnese to prove ownership, and they can access their computer records and give you the immobilzer key code from their records related to your VIN. The immobilizer key card is not to be confused with the radio key card; as they are two separate/different codes.

If your immobilizer control unit has been replaced, and the new code has not been recorded anywhere, then you will need the dealers computer, or proper diagnostic tool to access the immobilizer code flashed into the units firmware (chip).

P.S. The owners manual describes the reprogramming procedure sequence and dealers charge dearly for this 15 minute service. This same procedure has also been posted many times in this forum. Try the search function.

HTH...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The immobilizer control unit is under the driver's seat. There should be a sticker on top of it with the immobilizer code, unless it's been removed.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM
jan the man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Warning do not put the remote key alarm unit into the washer"

Thanks for the heads up, mine is dirty and I was going to send it off to the drycleaner this week end.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks993
Forgot that my keys were in my pocket and washed a pair of jeans only to find my keys in the washer!!
So I need to program a new remote
Where do I get the 4 digit code I need to enter to start the programing of the remotes

If I do it wrong will it affect the existing working remote ?
Anyone have any tips or words of advice when doing this??/
take u registration into the dealer and they will give u the code. Now if the box was changed, the number the give you wont match.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question:

Did the early Porsche 993, such as 1995 have a separate remote versus the switch blade remotes?

I ask because an owner who had his clutch replaced at the shop does not have a key fob switch blade. The car started up and was driven down the road, but after the trip it would not start anymore.

Since ownership, the owner never recieved any other keys except for the standard looking key.

I know Bob tried the reset the alarm from the instructions from the owners manual. The alarms would not shut off until you reset it with the key form the door.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Warning do not put the remote key alarm unit into the washer