Sponsored by:

Best battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz-ATL
What's the best battery to get for this situation?
Key word being "situation" or better yet, you should have said, "conditions".

I take it it can get quite hot where you live. If that is the case, I wouldn't want an AGM or GEL battery (both are VRLA batteries) unless the voltage regulator regulated to the correct voltage when it is hot. If it doesn't, the battery will lead a shorter life due to being overcharged, and overcharging either of those is a .

I chose not to buy the East Penn AGM (cost wasn't a factor) due to the disadvantages with those types of batteries. Instead I went with the East Penn 648MF that can be maintained. I usually get fourteen-plus years out of those plain old low-tech batteries in my daily drivers.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another happy Interstate owner. Tried to kill it twice by inadvertently draining it. A quick charge and some spirited driving brought it back to life both times. I drive it weekly and don't use a charger. Make sure it is vented properly.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

You will find if you deep cycled the battery and then recharged it, it will appear to be find, but under stress it will not perform like before, especially when really pushed like long cranks or cold.

I use plain ordinary lead-acid batteries, got a supplier near me that sells seconds (gasp!) that have markings on their cases - $60 and I have a new batter with 5 year warranty. I tried some of the Optima batteries - two failed so I think they are garbage.

Definitely keep it on maintainer to keep the battery topped up and they will last good and long if you do not deep cycle them.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the Odyssey and had issues; went back to Interstate and an a happy camper again!
Phil
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size Odyssey??
Sonny1.

Originally Posted by fullbooker
I tried the Odyssey and had issues; went back to Interstate and an a happy camper again!
Phil

Quick Reply: Best battery