993 Forum 1995-1998

Trying to sort a steering column issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trying to sort a steering column issue

This has been an ongoing problem since day one with my car (purchased used) but I still haven't sorted it out.

Issue is a slight forward / back play in the steering column that makes a clicking sound but the movement is ever so slight. Zero issues with the function of the locking mechanism or actual steering left/right, so I don't think its the bearings in the steering column.

My mechanic had tried tightening the center nut on the wheel a few times in the past when the car was in for other service. Finally he decided to remove the wheel and inspect it more carefully only to find that that the wheel was cracked where the steering column spline mates with the steering wheel. Not sure if he caused the damage but thats water under the bridge.

I figured that the crack must have been the issue all along but I discovered that I had guessed wrong after installing a different steering wheel today. I am having the exact same very slight forward/back play and clicking issue. I made sure not to over-torque the center nut in the event that this is what broke the last steering wheel.

The steering wheel is the same as the broken one that came off the car; a factory 996 3-spoke complements of another Rennlister that has no cracks and will be on the car until another 996 3-spoke with re-wrapped leather arrives.

In the meantime, I would love to figure this out. Just one of those little annoying things I guess. Is there anything besides just sliding the wheel on, putting the washer onto the wheel and spline followed by the wheel nut? Any other washers that I might be missing?

One thing I'm wondering about is if the mechanism that sits directly under the wheel has anything to do with the problem? It seems to be in the correct position without any damage to the two tabs etc. This is the only part of the assembly I can think of that could possibly cause a slight forward / back movement and that annoying clicking sound.

Anyone around here had a similar experience or suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Play in steering wheel

If your problem is play as steering wheel where you can rock back and forward not in and out on column I have an answer for you. The 993 seems to share the same steering column layout as the earlier 911 cars. The earlier cars had a nylon bushing that held the steering shaft in place. It tended to crumble and allow the column to have some play. The fix was to remove the steering wheel and related parts to gain access to the bushing at the top of the shaft. You would then push the old bushing down on the shaft out of position and replace it with a similar bushing from a 928 that fit properly but was made of metal. I did this fix on my 86 Carrera and suspect you have the same issue with your 993. Read the shop manual concerning the proper installation of the airbag connection unit as if reinstalled improperly you can break it. The instructions are printed on the unit as well. Be sure to detach the battery before unplugging the airbag as it may be dangerous and you will get the air bag fault light that will need to be cleared with Durametric software or by the dealer.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Anyone around here had a similar experience or suggestions?
I've noticed the same thing when pulling/pushing on the steering wheel.

I haven't had anything apart yet but I did have a look at the parts catalog and noticed some parts that may come into play.

There is a 1 mm shim (8), O-ring (41), shim (40) and snap ring (7) stacked on the steering column. Until I have it apart, I won't know for sure how these parts affect operation. I have them on hand when I do take the wheel off.

Just a guess, but the O-ring might have something to do with it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Sounds like you are well on your way to the solution!
See my recent Steering Rack Replacement posting for some insights into the airbag connection unit. It must be clocked properly once the steeing wheel is removed.
Andy
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I have seen that schematic in the past and wound up purchasing an "o-ring" as you describe. Both having it in or out still produced the same result. The answer lies deeper in the assembly.

I also had a 928 in the past and that very shim described above went bad. It took a lot of determination to get that replacement shim in place. I have to say that the amount of play in the 928's steering was not even comparable to how minuscule the problem is on my 993. Pretty sure that can be ruled out but the only way to know for sure is to dig deeper.

Yup, already triggered the airbag light when testing new wheel for alignment without the airbag. Good thing my mechanic has the software to clear it.

I'm considering having a my mechanic chase after the problem when he does an oil change and a few little odds and ends I've been too lazy to do myself. Projects like this steering wheel swap sometimes take up far too much of my spare time as I seem to always learn the hard way!

Alex...let me know if you dig in there and find out what the issue is caused by. Thanks to both of you.

p.s. a rather Beatles-ish avitar you have there Andy....classic!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Alex...let me know if you dig in there and find out what the issue is caused by.
Its not exactly at the top of my to-do list. I think I only came across it while holding onto the steering wheel while moving the seat.

Looking at the parts list which isn't all that clear to start with, I can't see anything other than the shims and O-ring being the cause for a loose steering shaft. Maybe it needs an extra shim on top of what Porsche installed. I don't see any tapper bearings that can be adjusted.

One day when I install a recovered four-spoke steering wheel, it'll get looked at.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Alex,

I actually had ordered and installed an extra o-ring and found that it didn't make any difference either way. I tried the new wheel with and without the extra o-ring and it doesn't make any difference on my car. I think whatever is causing it is something else. May have my mechanic see if he can sort it when the car goes in for its next oil change in a week or two and will report the findings.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

2ndof2-

I have the same issue as you and have decided to just live with it. For the life of me, I can't make it go away.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Could it be at the other end? The column could be loose on the splines of the U-joint or the U-joint could have play?

Quick Reply: Trying to sort a steering column issue