Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 993 owner with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I agree with Bart and Ed (above). Looks like you have the standard (which most cars of our vintage has) is the 993 part. Sunset Imports (http://www.sunsetimports.com) is an excellent resource when you must buy new from a dealership. Their price is only 10% over cost so you won't really find a better deal on this. The only downside can be shipping. There are also some parts for your car that you can save a bit with used, depending on what you need. I strongly recommend you use rennlist as a go resource for your parts purchase and DIY projects as you will find most all the guys (and gals) on here are very knowledgeable and helpful about these 993's.

As Mike S stated too, some of the very early cars (particularly 1995 MY) can have more 964 parts on them then the later cars. In addition, 1996 was the big year for cars switching over from the OBDI to the OBDII standard for emissions controls. So you may find that your 95 car has EITHER an OBDI or and OBDII connector type. A friend of mine has a 95 that has the OBDII connector but the car still follows the OBDI codes as it does not trip some smog CEL codes that you would only find in 96MY and beyond.

There a several common things that particularly fail on these cars that you can find most all of them with a search on a web forum such as rennlist.

Good luck with your "new" older Porsche. It's definitely an older car by today's standards, but a very unique, well-built, and fun-to-drive car. Congrats!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM
bosoxfan
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
To the suffering Bosoxfan - be careful when buying a replacement duct. The early cars had a 964 number, the later ones had a 993 number as Marc G. stated above. Yours, as a '95 car, can be either.

As a new 993 owner you should know about Sunset and Suncoast, two Porsche dealers that sell OEM parts at very discounted prices. You need to tell Sunset that you are _not_ in Oregon to get the low price.

If you are actually in Boston and need a little walk-trough on the car, like what the oil gauges do and general care and feeding, I'm right downtown and can meet to give you a little hands-on explanation session. You will probably want to do a couple of things with the car that are an absolute must to drive in today's world. One of them being HID headlights.
I worked in Boston up until 4 months ago when I took a job in DC. I will be back in Boston though as soon as possible because I am not a fan of the area down here. The job was just too good to pass up.

I have already purchased a spare DME relay and have it sitting in the door compartment. I am ordering 4500k HID's from DDM and am also going to be ordering the replacement intake part from Pelican
Old 10-23-2012, 03:29 PM
bosoxfan
Rennlist Member

On another note, I pushed my trip reset button on the odometer on Sunday just so I could see what kind of gas mileage I was getting and it caused the entire unit to stop working. Neither my tripmeter nor my odometer is working now... Any thoughts as to why?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't push it when moving.

Odometergears.com
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
bosoxfan
Rennlist Member

I was not moving when I pushed it. I had just filled up at a gas station and before I had even started the car, I pushed the reset button.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
veblenesque
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

You should actually be grateful that you know for certain that the original odometer gear wasn't broken in the past (resulting in undocumented vehicle mileage). These all eventually break and replacement is straightforward. Use the link above, buy the odo gear, and have a pro spend an hour installing it. Then promise to never touch it again. And never push the window switch down carelessly while you're at it, or you'll be introduced to another easily fixed interior weak spot.

Originally Posted by bosoxfan
I was not moving when I pushed it. I had just filled up at a gas station and before I had even started the car, I pushed the reset button.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by veblenesque
You should actually be grateful that you know for certain that the original odometer gear wasn't broken in the past (resulting in undocumented vehicle mileage). These all eventually break and replacement is straightforward. Use the link above, buy the odo gear, and have a pro spend an hour installing it. Then promise to never touch it again. And never push the window switch down carelessly while you're at it, or you'll be introduced to another easily fixed interior weak spot.
one could install it ones self, if one were so inclined.

The window switches on 993s and much better than the 944 ones!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

On another note, I pushed my trip reset button on the odometer on Sunday just so I could see what kind of gas mileage I was getting and it caused the entire unit to stop working. Neither my tripmeter nor my odometer is working now... Any thoughts as to why?
The gear(s) inside the odometer turned to jelly and disintegrated. A very common issue on older 993. Time to replace gears. Either DYI or send it out to one of the speedometer repair places and pay $150 or so.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
EpicRide
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

993 owners guide

Porsche 993 - The Latest Evolution - Full Promotional Video

Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I agree with everyone's expertise on this one too. (There's a lot of Rennlister's who really know their stuff). There is a small gear that is linked to the odometer trip gauge which becomes soft over the years due to the degrading properties in the lubrication grease. Sometimes by pressing the trip reset button (while driving or parked) this exerts enough stress to cause this compromised gear to break off a tooth or split apart completely. They make a new gear (odometergears.com) which is not susceptible to this grease, so the repair should be a one time replacement.

I actually put together a video on how to do this on rennlist earlier this year. Check out the video and feel free to ask any questions if you choose to try it as a nice little DIY project:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=29384

Marc G.

Quick Reply: New 993 owner with a couple questions