993 Forum 1995-1998

For those with Scissor Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default For those with Scissor Lifts

Looking into getting an Atlas Scissor lift from Greg Smith Equipment. Would love to get a full size 2 or 4 post but as it turns out the scissor lift is my only viable option. I'm contemplating cutting the garage floor and sinking it but will likely do the ramp thing for now since we may be moving in a few years. My Question:

For those who have built the ramps, any specifics on sizing or other advice you could offer to someone starting from scratch?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used 2x10's IIRC, cutting the entry edges at a 45 degree angle so the car climps up there easily. And one 2x4 on each one at the front for a stop. Then epoxy coated to match the floor. I almost got some tractor trailer mud flaps to attach to the underside to keep them from sliding on the floor, but they are heavy enough that they don't move at all.

I didn't sink mine in the floor as I didn't see us in our house for more than 10 years, and figured it might hurt resale to have a dug out in the floor (even if I left the lift). Very few people are car people these days, and I think it would hurt overall to have something permanent unless the right buyer came along. In a house we were staying in indefinitely, then I think that would be the way to go, though I would definitely want a floor drain built in the hole as well for wet weather run off. Also, if you cut into the floor and wanted to ever do an engine drop, etc, that would be an issue.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was similar with 12x2.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
Looking into getting an Atlas Scissor lift from Greg Smith Equipment. Would love to get a full size 2 or 4 post but as it turns out the scissor lift is my only viable option. I'm contemplating cutting the garage floor and sinking it but will likely do the ramp thing for now since we may be moving in a few years. My Question:

For those who have built the ramps, any specifics on sizing or other advice you could offer to someone starting from scratch?
it depends on how low the car is

th basi c ramp has to be low enough to swing the arms out, for mine I need ~3"

I also added 2' wings on either side as work platforms, plastic sheet under keeps out fumes moisture from the concrete

this doesn't guarantee that the car can dribe on/off, a low car will need some additional height, to get mine on I needed to add 5/8" removeable pieces, they need to be removable to swing the arms out

You'll also want to protect the concrete w/ some aluminum or steel strips under the pivot and wheels
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Talking

Great ideas guys, keep them coming. I'm taking notes on everything.

P.S. My car is between ROW and RS Height.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With the double stacked 2x's, I have not had an issue getting any cars on, and working professionally, I've had almost everything on it at one point, including some very slammed cars. Make sure to pick up some hockey pucks to use on the lift pads, they help you get on to the lift points without hitting body panels with the big pads of the lift.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used 2 x 12's stacked 2 high and build it like a Lincoln-Logs setup so, once the car is up in the air, I can take the frame apart and move it away to roll in things like oil catch barrels and engine lifts.

Marc
Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I did the 2x12 double stacked in Texas. When we moved back to Calif, I went with through bolted 2x4's, maybe 8 wide? As usual, I'm travelling and cannot remember or measure. Cut one end on a bias, and added stops on the other end. No hard set rules, a pretty flexible setup. A lot cheaper, IMO, than 2x12's.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Last Question:

How much of a hindrance are the ramps to working on the car once it is raised?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

They are no hindrance-I usually leave them in situ. If it is an issue, they just slide out of the way.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the Bend-Pak before I had the MaxJax (both have their good & bad points). I had (2) 2x10's stacked on each side and had some angle iron ramps made for the ends. Worked ok. I would have liked to do something like Bill V's arrangement but I didn't have the width due to the other cars in the garage. I would most definitely go with wider ramps (2x8's side by side, carpet top, 2x16 total) if I were to do it again.

I also highly recommend the hockey pucks (as stated earlier) to use between the lift pads and the car frame to keep from hitting the plastic bits around the lift points. I still use them with the MaxJax now.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:05 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I had the Bend-Pak before I had the MaxJax (both have their good & bad points). I had (2) 2x10's stacked on each side and had some angle iron ramps made for the ends. Worked ok. I would have liked to do something like Bill V's arrangement but I didn't have the width due to the other cars in the garage. I would most definitely go with wider ramps (2x8's side by side, carpet top, 2x16 total) if I were to do it again.

I also highly recommend the hockey pucks (as stated earlier) to use between the lift pads and the car frame to keep from hitting the plastic bits around the lift points. I still use them with the MaxJax now.
Thanks Bill. I also contemplated the MaxJax but had serious doubts about the claimed set up time. I figured I could likely get the car up on 4 jack stands in about the same time it would take to set up the MaxJax's lifts and hoses.

Unfortunately extra wide ramps (over 12") isn't an option since the wife's whale, er Odyssey sits next to the 993 in my 3 car garage. She's also a bit, uh, parking challenged. I park the 993 as far to "my" side as possible.

Thanks again guys, any new ideas / observations very much welcome.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
Thanks again guys, any new ideas / observations very much welcome.
make sure you got enough room for a kick a$$ stereo and a mini fridge...or kegorator.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
make sure you got enough room for a kick a$$ stereo and a mini fridge...or kegorator.
Funny you mention that.......I've seen several garages (mine too) with incredible stereo systems from the late 70's / early 80's in them. Kegorator............
Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Core,
thats exactly the position im in. with my two car garage its either 2 cars parked or one car being 'serviced'. that last thread swayed me to going with a scissor lift into the slab. just drive over it and lift. when done, toss the wood cover over and park. no moving posts around or sweating floor bolt anchors.

the one guy mentioned resale issues, if a non car guy buys your place a solid steel plate over the recess shouldnt be an issue.

setting up ramps wouldnt allow a wide enough berth for both cars to park...

the question will be how much the job will cost to build in the recess.

Quick Reply: For those with Scissor Lifts