993 Forum 1995-1998

Value of a regear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Value of a regear?

I'm just wondering what premium,if any, should be applied to the value of a 993 with the addition of a regeared box? I realize some buyers not familiar with the car will have no appreciation but others will. I realize many upgrades add very little to the car's value. I'm just curious as to what the RL communities opinion is here.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

priceless if done right
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it depends on the buyer, but I would say it maybe adds $2000 to the value (so about a 20% ROI?)
It's really hard to say because the next owner is going to be looking at the car as a package, and the giant accumulation of receipts is usually there to show people how much you are losing and to justify your asking price.
My car was bone stock and untracked when I bought it. I have probably put $5k worth of mods into the car and decreased the value of the car relative to what it would be worth if it was still stock today... unless I got lucky and found the one owner that loves everything I did.

If you are doing the re-gear than I would do it as in investment in personal enjoyment.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

To us....a lot! To anyone else...not so much.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
priceless if done right
Porsche AGs Werk 1 facility did a complete ROW gearbox swap on the coupe waaay back in '01 when touring Germany.
That said, and having lived with the ROW gearbox or re-gearing for more than decade, I would very much find value $$$$ in an a ROW or re-geared gearbox 993. It's an entirely different 993....

You'd best enlighten any potential buyers though,,, to the tune of $3,500 or so in my chicken scheisse mind. An uphill sale though and like so many purchases; Value in use......

Last edited by M. Schneider; 10-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I would say 0. As is with most other mods other than, perhaps, new suspension or engine rebuild. But even those probably would add very little value.

Don't forget, we are all idiot savants here and kind of understand 993s and their needs. Genpop does not, Value, unless you are absolutely convinced that you'll sell it through Rennlist only, is built on mileage and condition, in that order, in my opinion. The rest is... well... very little ROI. Doing it for yourself, yes. Getting returns - not so much.

PS. That's why asking prices on RB cars make me laugh out loud.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To someone who knows what they're getting in a private party sale, $3k
Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

To play devil's advocate how do I, as a potential "RL-knowledgeable" buyer, know with confidence that the re-gear was done right? Which wrenches have the reputation? Were all of the gears done? Were all of the synchros also upgraded? Does any of this matter?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with the 0 crowd. You do it for your own personal need and enjoyment. I did a re-gear,but it is pretty street specific. Someone else would want one that would suit their favorite track,which might not be so good on another track. A re-gear is priceless.....in many ways.

Emerald
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting input guys. I certainly agree that it is worth something to the person who has driven stock geared cars enough to appreciate the difference but often buyers are 993 newbies.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Matt, look at it this way. How much would a supercharger be worth on a resell? Close to nothing, I would argue. Maybe $1-2K at the utmost. And there you can actually point at dyno sheets and push the "more horsepower" button with potential buyers. With re-gear it's not the case.

So, again, to general population it would be worth next to nothing. To a Rennlister... it depends. I've daily driven two 993s for what, close to 9 years now and, personally, would not put an extra value on a re-gear vs, for example, new struts. Put it another way, if I was choosing between two identical cars, one with re-gear, one with new suspension and second car was $1K more I would unquestionably chose the second car.

Above is a data point of 1, of course.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Matt, look at it this way. How much would a supercharger be worth on a resell? Close to nothing, I would argue. Maybe $1-2K at the utmost. And there you can actually point at dyno sheets and push the "more horsepower" button with potential buyers. With re-gear it's not the case.

So, again, to general population it would be worth next to nothing. To a Rennlister... it depends. I've daily driven two 993s for what, close to 9 years now and, personally, would not put an extra value on a re-gear vs, for example, new struts. Put it another way, if I was choosing between two identical cars, one with re-gear, one with new suspension and second car was $1K more I would unquestionably chose the second car.

Above is a data point of 1, of course.
A supercharger would be a big deduction for me and would most likely mean I would not even consider the car.

A regear would not scare me off but having never driven a car with a regear I could not assign a $ value to it.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one can refute that to the right buyer, it makes the car more attractive. There are many factors at play; will you find the "right" buyer, will it translate to more cash for the sale, will it translate to a faster sale at the same price, or will it simply sell at asking price rather than lower than asking price (which is usually the case if you are dealing with a savvy buyer, we do not have the luxury of knowing the final sales price of most deals)?

In my opinion, yes, it will add to the car's value if you find the right buyer, but quantifying that increased value may or may not be as simple as listing and selling for a higher price than a similar car. Pricing any used commodity is a game with so many intangibles; about all you can do is list her up at a price fair to you and go from there.

Also, finding the right buyer should be much easier than finding the right buyer for a car with a supercharger. The risks are far lower, assuming the regear was performed by a reputable shop. For those with SCs, don't get mad at me--that's just the way it is. I would happily SC my car, but buying one secondhand is a different story.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by 97_993C2
To play devil's advocate how do I, as a potential "RL-knowledgeable" buyer, know with confidence that the re-gear was done right? Which wrenches have the reputation? Were all of the gears done? Were all of the synchros also upgraded? Does any of this matter?
For street use just changing to reasonably spaced 3-5 and moving 5 to 6 is the usual path, you will have a very nice and usefull street setup

for track use you need to get rid of the plastic bearings which will melt and hopefully change to steel syncros and an effective lsd, there are several other very desirable stronger parts like shift forks that are big pluses too.

or just buy a factory motorsports box, in order of cost and having all the goo parts g50/31, g30/32, g50/30, g50/34
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If my 993 was stolen/wrecked/abducted by aliens and I was shopping for a 993 again, I'd pay a $5K+ premium for a re-geared car, assuming it was done well.

So that's at least one data point.

Quick Reply: Value of a regear?