Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of a regear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Remember that North America cars have different (less optimal by all accounts) gearing than ROW versions so IMO a regear even to ROW specs is good, better than that including internals is great and how Porsche intended these cars to be anyway. So it's not a stretch to say a gear is a corrective upgrade at least!!

If done right by someone that knows what they're doing it's transformational and undeniably a value add upgrade to anyone that understands these cars enough to care.

What's that worth in real world $$ who knows but I for one would pay a premium without hesitation.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Remember that North America cars have different (less optimal by all accounts) gearing than ROW versions so IMO a regear even to ROW specs is good, better than that including internals is great and how Porsche intended these cars to be anyway. So it's not a stretch to say a gear is a corrective upgrade at least!!

If done right by someone that knows what they're doing it's transformational and undeniably a value add upgrade to anyone that understands these cars enough to care.

What's that worth in real world $$ who knows but I for one would pay a premium without hesitation.
the g50/21 w/ gearing very close to that of a /31 but w/o the track oriented bearings and other internal parts was used on RoW thru MY96, for the rest of the 993 run they all got the US geared /20
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to the 993..... In searching for my 993, bone stock is what I wanted, maybe wheels or suspension is the only thing I woulnt mind not stock. But when it came to internals or something I can't see or take off without loosing and arm or a leg it was off limits just because I have no idea what the seller did to it...... Etc
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
the g50/21 w/ gearing very close to that of a /31 but w/o the track oriented bearings and other internal parts was used on RoW thru MY96, for the rest of the 993 run they all got the US geared /20
Well even more reason to upgrade - exclusivity. Thanks Bill..I wasn't certain of the breakdown.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this something that garage monkeys can do ourselves? Or is this ridiculously hard/risky?

Aren't the synchros/gears around $1,000 apiece?

--Brian

Quick Reply: Value of a regear?