Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Holy Sticker Sticker Shock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't have one myself, but doesn't a "Porsche Certificate of Authenticity" from PCNA have the option information as well?

The under hood sticker seems to be nothing but one of those standard stick on labels available from Staples or Office Depot (or maybe a metric size version available outside metric averse USA). Couldn't one use one of the labels to make their own "reproduction" on a good, old dot matrix printer (if there is one left out there)?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've done the underhood and maintenance record booklet stickers to lot of Porsche owners (996, 993, 964 and Carrera 3.2 series)

If you need them just PM me

Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I thought the point of the sticker was to show that the car hasn't been in an accident. Now, if you can easily get a replacement, that point is moot.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
Well, I thought the point of the sticker was to show that the car hasn't been in an accident..
How does that work? If you're rear-ended, or on the side, the sticker won't be affected. That would only work if you were hit in the front
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

There are some reasons why people lose miss the sticker.
-A color change.
-A respray.
-An accident
-The sticker was damaged. This that It's easy to get wet when cleaning the car if not dry it properly.
-If the car comes from a bad seller who "missed" the information like sticker, maintenance booklet....
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
Well, I thought the point of the sticker was to show that the car hasn't been in an accident. Now, if you can easily get a replacement, that point is moot.
The point of it is to provide comfort to a buyer that the hood hasn't been repainted or replaced. Problem is, a brand new sticker is just as bad as no sticker. The sticker needs to appear to be the same age as the car or else any buyer with a brain is going to assume the hood has been repainted or replaced. Paying $242 for a replacement sticker that will NEVER precisely match the original is ludicrous.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

You're right dave, but there are people who like to have the car in perfect condition for themshelves, not to show anything when the car is going to sale.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Last new Porsche I bought the salesman handed me the sticker for the hood to do what I wanted with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by juankimalo
You're right dave, but there are people who like to have the car in perfect condition for themshelves, not to show anything when the car is going to sale.

Is the $242 mentioned your asking price for the stickers???
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Nooo

I don't charge this amount!!!

If someone would want it I only charge a little symbolic cost (work, paper, print house, cut the stickers to the proper size, shipping from Madrid, Spain).
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by juankimalo
Nooo

I don't charge this amount!!!

If someone would want it I only charge a little symbolic cost (work, paper, print house, cut the stickers to the proper size, shipping from Madrid, Spain).
Good, I just saw that number above and wondered where it came from. That would be "sticker shock"
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

I think It's immoral, shameful and a total robbery to charging $242 for a single sticker
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 189 Posts

I am perplexed as to why having a sticker would matter. It's a good-to-have item, not need-to-have.

There are many ways to verify if the car was in an accident. I'd like to think any semi-proficient mechanic can figure out in 5 mins.

Printing a new one and reattaching to the hood is good from a recording keeping standpoint but doesn't addresses the original concern unless you can doctor it to look 14+ years old.

And the 'original concern' is exactly what? I couldn't care less if the sticker's not there so long as the car comes with sufficient books/records and passes PPI.

That said, would I pay $5-10 for a reproduction? Sure. Any more is ridiculous.

But, it's your hard earned $$ so it's your call.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

+1

Not so important.
And there's another point of view. If you're thinking on selling the car, and you have a underhood new sticker, you should tell it to the buyer. I like having all the stickers, just this. And I don't earn anything with any sticker. It takes me more time than money recovered.

Quick Reply: Holy Sticker Sticker Shock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!