Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: San Francisco RLers advice

Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Default OT: San Francisco RLers advice

Ok SF Rennlisters, I need a suggestion. The wife and I are taking a quick road trip up to the City. We are staying at the Palace Hotel on Montgomery street.
Looking for a great romantic seafood restaurant.

whatcha got?

prefer close to hotel, or at least trolley/public transportation accessible, food quality trumps setting/romantic blah blah...

we are hikers, so walking even a few miles is no big deal...yeah, yeah, I know SF has hills.

Last edited by Kika; 09-18-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I always enjoy Scoma's. It's been around since the sixties and has real old school charm. Not over the top stuffy like some places. Great seafood and cool atmosphere.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 AM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple other suggestions. The Tadich Grill and The Waterfront.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's more important, the romantic or the great?

Further, within walking distance of the hotel, or even in SF?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911
What's more important, the romantic or the great?

Further, within walking distance of the hotel, or even in SF?
Ken,

prefer something within the city, walking distance to hotel would be great, although, we don't mind jumping on a trolley or the T-line.

great food is higher priority than romantic, the whole city fits the bill for that!

just based on the picture, Scoma's looks like a winner, I could get me a bowls full of mussels and some fresh baked sourdough!

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I avoid the more touristy spots and like the lesser known haunts, but then I'm a spolied city resident.

My list is Woodhouse Fish Company (light on the romance but makes up for it in food quality), La Mar (mid-level romance but on the pier and not a tourist trap, also next to the Ferry Building which is itself fun to see), or for great romance and food go to Boulevard (not a fish place per se but always has a great menu). Woodhouse is on Filmore and a short cab ride from the Palace. The other two are within walking distance although not close so I'd probaly walk there and cab it back. Have fun!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Oh, I got beat on the La Mar recommendation. (Have not been there, but I queried our local list and it popped up.)

But without question, Farallon and Michael Mina were 1 and 2.

What used to be a funky little place near Union Square on top of the tunnel, was Bar Crudo. They've moved out to be a "real" restaurant (I guess) out on Divisadero. Haven't been to the new place, but the old one with about 6 tables would qualify as anti-romantic. But sometimes the whole experience of a dive + amazing food is a better trick, hmm?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

One more thing, as I get on my soap box--you'll likely see 4% added to your bill for the "Healthy San Francisco" program to cover employee health benefits. Which, if you dig into it, many restauranteurs pocket.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
I always enjoy Scoma's. It's been around since the sixties and has real old school charm. Not over the top stuffy like some places. Great seafood and cool atmosphere.
Kika,

My wife LOVES SCOMA. She has been going there since she moved to SFO from Hong Kong. The services good and all the money you pay is on the plate.

Cioppino, Sauté Sec, Calimari Steak and Crab Louie.

Also Sand Dabs at Tatich Grill with lots or Martini.

Salt and Pepper Crab at R&G Flower Lounge on Kerney. Do not do Dim Sum better places that are cheaper are in LA
Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FGL28
Kika,

My wife LOVES SCOMA. She has been going there since she moved to SFO from Hong Kong. The services good and all the money you pay is on the plate.

Cioppino, Sauté Sec, Calimari Steak and Crab Louie.

Also Sand Dabs at Tatich Grill with lots or Martini.

Salt and Pepper Crab at R&G Flower Lounge on Kerney. Do not do Dim Sum better places that are cheaper are in LA
Scoma and Farallon are at the top of my list right now. Woodhouse Fish company is only a trolly ride up Market St, however.

Vancouver for Dim Sum is the secret!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did someone say Dim Sum? Outstanding Dim Sum right there off Market St.:

http://www.yanksing.com/home.php
Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Kika,

I have always liked Sinbad, at Pier 2. The night view of the Bay with the Bay Bridge all lit up is very nice.

http://www.sinbadsrestaurant.com/

As for dim sum, my personal favorite is NOT in SF, but just south of it. Almost as good as dim sum we had in Vancouver.

http://www.koipalace.com/shell.html?page=home

But this place is CRAZY packed, especially weekends. Need to get there early to avoid a long wait. Weekdays may be easier though.

You did not ask about this, but our Christmas tradition is family dinner here.
http://houseofprimerib.net/

It is a SF institution. One of my favorites. Some say Lowry's in LA is better. I like House of Prime Ribs much better.

Enjoy your visit.

CP
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woodhouse Fish company is only a trolly ride up Market St
Unfortunately the trolly will leave you with a long walk, and not through the scenic part of town! For mass transit you'll want to take the #3 Jackson bus from Sutter near Kearney (just a few blocks from The Palace) and get off on Filmore and Sacramento (about a block from the restaurant).

Farallon is always a great meal, pretty close by and highly recommended but bring your $$$, it ain't cheap. Cost no object I'd pop for Masa's, probably the best spot this side of The French Laundry in Napa.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

try alexander's steakhouse -South of Market....awesome steaks and 6 star service. Huge wine list.

or Foreign Cinema in the misson. very unique indoor/outdoor setting with great food and service.

while you are in the misson head over to bi-rite creamery for salted caramel ice cream on 18th
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Mike M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SF is really a foodie's haven IMO, so much stuff and ever changing...

Randy and Ken's rec, La Mar- I like it. Pretty nice setting on the waterfront, if you like tapas- bar and vibe are cool. Pisco punch/sour are some of the notable cocktails served there.

CP/Pong's rec, HOPR, that is also a personal/family/SF staple. House of Prime Rib has never failed to disappoint out of town guests, friends, or family. It's that good IMO. Martini's are pretty generous, wine list is great. Light on the seafood, obviously.

I've heard good stuff on Scoma's, but have never been. Based on rec's, however, count that on the list.

For Chinese, R&G has been around forever (used to go there as a kid). For dim sum, I would avoid Koi Palace in Daly City unless you are getting takeout. The wait is insane on the weekends. It's a little farther out, but also consider San Tung in the Sunset/Irving Street if you want to try something else. Pretty popular with the locals and tourists alike.

The stuff in the Mission-Dolores area is OK (Tartine bakery is also another one there), but anticipate alot of hipsters/touristy/yelp fans at certain spots (i.e., prepare for a wait). You might be able to kill a bit of the line wait if you call in and order first, such as a takeout pint of the salted caramel at Bi-Rite or my fav, Secret Breakfast at Humphry Slocombe across the way.

Another one if you're in the area, try the House in North Beach- good seabass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: San Francisco RLers advice