993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering column cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 PM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Steering column cover removal

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions about removing the steering column cover? To be extra clear, I am referring to the black cover over the turn signal and wiper levers right in front of the tachometer.

I have removed two small screws on the sides of the cover -- the cover is loose, but I am unable to pull apart the top and bottom pieces from each other, and hence unable to remove the cover from the steering column.

Are there any screws or clips that I am missing? I did search through prior posts and some talked about 4 screws on the bottom of the cover, but I don't see those at all.

The car is a '96 993.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You removed the vertical screws... now twist the wheel 90 degrees, think you'll find two in front of you.

And after you remove those, you'll find it still doesn't want to come out. Go figure.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
You need to remove the 4 screws behind the steering wheel,
hence you need to remove the steering wheel.

Then there is a bit of mucking around with the covers, to get them off.

It took me a while but the covers can be removed.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 AM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I have seen those four screws behind the steering wheel and even started loosening them, but was unsure of exactly what they held so I stopped.

So Neil, just to make sure I am clear, you are saying that the steering wheel has to be removed in order to remove the steering column cover?

Thanks much.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I removed my steering wheel, that is after disconnecting my battery for 30 minutes.
For the steering column cover, I then removed the 2 x screws one each side and then the 4 x screws at the front of the cover.
Then the fun started, the top cover for the steering wheel column it is a real pain in the butt, it took me roughly half an hour just to get that top cover off, there is no easy, just persist.

I removed these bits to replace the control stalks on the column

I can't remember exactly what the front cover (4 x screws) screwed into, but I did remove it.
They could of screwed into the side covers or the control stalk assemble

This was February this year, so my memory is not clear, plus I was focused on other issues.

Good Luck

Last edited by Neil Perry; 09-10-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: Steering column cover removal