993 Forum 1995-1998

Los Angeles to Halifax: the blue '96 coupe delivery blog

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day 7 Pella - Marshall, Michigan

Unfortunately, this trip is going too fast and now just 1 day left before Joanne flys home and leaves me to work my way home over the next week. But, hey, it will still be a nice drive, just not the same without my sweetheart!!!

We are about 3 hours to the border and 2 hours from there to Pearson Airport in Mississauga, Ontario, so the trip really is starting to come to a close. We will still document the rest of the way to Halifax but it will not be the same. . . .

Today we had a wonderful drive. Got away early once again (a fabulous early morning sky) and arrived in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek ( aka Cereal City, headquarters of Kellogg's - guess what we're having for breakfast in the am?) area of Michigan by 3:00 PM after loosing an hour - we are now on Eastern Standard Time. Lots of trees along the way, something we have not seen a lot of since leaving California. There were treed areas in the mountain regions of the California/Nevada,border, but otherwise sparce. Saw a lot of dustbunnies/tumbleweeds driving through Utah and Wyoming. Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois had enormous farms and lots of wind generators - all beautiful states to drive through. Today we drove through 4 states beginning in Iowa and on to Illinois, Indiana and Michigan, including crossing the mighty Mississippi. . . .

Day 8 is coming soon so time for some rest. . .

Cheers!!!
Attached Images     

Last edited by lcorkum; 09-07-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default More Pics from Day 7

Train wheels. . .Keep on a rollin', Indiana, Chicago and almost. . .Meet me in St Louis!!!

Indiana welcome sign. . .
Attached Images     
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Arrival in Michigan Pics. . . .

Denny's Photo Op. . . Asleep for the night, even Porsche's need some rest. . .
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Yikes!

It is not a good idea to leave the bra on wet. It's a big no-no. The felt holds the water and clouds the paint underneath.

Sorry.

Okay, lesson learned! The bra is coming off as soon as I arrive home. Will have to take it off to dry tomorrow, as it's pouring rain here west of Motor City.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool trip! How are you progressing?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Cool trip! How are you progressing?
Hey Paul,
To chip in, Lloyd is due in Ottawa on the 15th .... regrettably, I passed on his fine offer to meet him there & co-pilot on the remainder of the trip to NS. (Donna is in New England, leaving me with the mutts, plus full bore training with the Spaniel clubs for fall trials [gunner] .... tough life )
With the new 993 grin on Lloyd's face, I think we could have tapped him for lunch in Ottawa
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Lloyd, you need a place to stay in Ottawa? If so, send my a PM. Actually, if you have nothing better to do, aim to get here the night of the 14th and come on the Rennsport coffee run with us on Saturday morning!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul902
Lloyd, you need a place to stay in Ottawa? If so, send my a PM. Actually, if you have nothing better to do, aim to get here the night of the 14th and come on the Rennsport coffee run with us on Saturday morning!
Paul,

Thanks for the invitation, I appreciate it however I need to get home Friday Night, I have a tight schedule for the following week to prepare for a DE Thursday and Friday, got to find out how this baby performs, then I might have an excuse to come see you at Calabougie!!!

I am in Toronto until Tuesday afternoon driving to Ottawa that evening, I have 2Days in Ottawa, Wednesday and Thursday, we can hook up Wednesday evening if you have time, send me an address and I will meet you and anyone else who wants to come out, it could be an early Coffee Run on Wednesday Evening!!! I am off to Montreal Thursday evening before heading home late Friday.

Let me know what works!!

Cheers
Lloyd
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Day 9 - In Toronto

After taking the Bra off on Saturday Night I wanted to get to a car wash and investigate any possible damage, I found a scratch across the hood just under the top edge of the Bra that came from grime build up. This will need buffing and I found a swirl mark around the badge that will need work. I guess I should have known but lessons learned, water and Bra do not mix. . .

I spent the afternoon cleaning and polishing to get the road grime off and put the car back in presentable condition, the way I found it in LA. . . Everything cleaned up perfect and I have attached a few pics to show off the cleaning. . . .

Here in Toronto for 2 days then off to Ottawa for 2 days and 1 day in Montreal will end the week before I start the last 1000 Miles, hope to be home in the middle of the night so I can have a weekend home . . . .

Joanne flew home this morning and is resting at home preparing to start another work week, we are both getting back into work mode so on we go!!!

I may have a new co-pilot if everything works out with my buddy Rod, I will talk to him tomorrow to find out his plans.

All for now,

Cheers
Lloyd
Attached Images     
Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear no paint clouding and no major scratches . Enjoy the rest of your drive .

Cheers Guy
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Calling Ottawa Rennlisters: Who is up for fish and chips with Lloyd on Wed night?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Default Day 11 Toronto - Ottawa

Long drive late this afternoon from Toronto to Ottawa, back at the grind with meetings and getting from A to B. Not much to add today except for a few pics I took out the Hotel window of downtown Ottawa Roof Tops & Cranes which are nice to see the local economy buzzing along.

Paul has put out the call for Rennlisters to gather tomorrow night for dinner out so I am looking forward to hearing back and meeting the local club.

I had to add a Pic that showed off this Bus decorated with elements of Canada and the Canadian Flag! It just called out to be part of this blog. . . USA - Canada 2012 Tour. . . .

There is still many miles to go, 200 Hundred to Montreal Thursday evening and 1200 to Halifax from Montreal Friday Night with a new co-pilot, Mr. McKay. . . Rod to those who know him. . . the Duke of Waverley to the rest. . . . should be a fun ride home. . .

Cheers!
Lloyd
Attached Images      

Last edited by lcorkum; 09-11-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

looks like a great trip...
it's been fun to follow

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkD
looks like a great trip...
it's been fun to follow

Thanks!
Mark,

We are not done yet, still 1400 Miles to go, Thursday and Friday Evenings, it will be good to finally get home in my own bed for a couple of days, it's been a long road trip with work mixed in but it has been a fantastic experience. I certainly would recommend doing a trip like this in your current Porsche or just an excuse to buy another. . . not in your own back yard. . . . Stay tuned. . .

Cheers!
Lloyd.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

Great trip blog. I want to do an epic trip like this next summer complete with photos. It is inspirational.
--Michael

Quick Reply: Los Angeles to Halifax: the blue '96 coupe delivery blog