993 Forum 1995-1998

Fixed My LWF Stalling Problem - New ISV

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I've heard the ultimate LWF solution is going to a Motronics replacement ECU as opposed to just using a chip.
Not sure what the cost is on that, but the gained adjustability and Hp from an aftermarket ECU would be a no-brainer for me if I was doing a LWF on a track car. For a street car you can even run tandem computers (I think CupCar is doing this) so you can pass smog with the flip of a switch.
Should I be ducking?
I can give you a list of how much

Its not quite a flick of a switch but is a 10 min job to switch from the Original ecu to the aftermarket one .....
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Just get a LWF. You know you really want one
I have had the LWF in my 95 C4 for 8 years. Its a love/hate relationship.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW--the score card proves that I win this debate---factuals, facts, statics, surveys, polls, and user feedback states that LWF's are problemmatic and you are 70% (lets give or take 20% to be fair) more likely to have a vehicle with stalling problems with a LWF than without one. You drive a race car---unless your driving that car around as a daily driver in the streets---totally different experience. I would hope you would have a LWF in a race car---I'd have one 2 if I was racing.

Im sure we all agree that the LWF is problemmatic---even with your 993. To the average person, telling them their car has a 60-90% chance of stalling with a LWF probably wont sit well. As I did, I thought maybe (just maybe) I may be one of the lucky ones but I was dead wrong. Im no Porsche nut---just an average driver who is not all that thrilled with the LWF and disappointed that the industry has no fix for 60-90% of those on the road. To try another route, in my opinion, is throwing good money at a bad cause. I have spent many of thousands of $$$ and many trips to the shop and it still stalls time to time. It just gives me a big woody every time it happens!

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Again, your poll showed that over one quarter of all '95 owners do not have stalling issues with the LWF.

I was going to quote you in the thread that mongrelcat posted, but decided against it. However, since you brought up your own post, I'll also quote this one from you:

I daresay your close-minded approach is willing the car to stall in order to cause you to think/not think/think/not think about it.

I absolutely knew you were going to say that part of the 30% were incorrect or lying , but I didn't want to be accused of putting words in your mouth. Since you have gone ahead and fulfilled that prophecy, just remember that it was your poll results and that 15% of people have not had an issue.

You also can't say that a portion of the people who said that they didn't stall were wrong, while 100% of the people who said that they had stalled are all correct. Moreover, how does missing your poll only affect the results of the respondents who never stalled? The percentages are based on the people who responded, not the entire population of Rennlisters or the total number of 993 owners.

Like I said, you've lost a great deal of objectivity on this.

Oh, full disclosure: my car stalls from time to time, but it's just not a big deal to me. Maybe that's why I haven't had it stall in over four years; sounds like the ghosts gave up on me and decided to haunt you since it bugs you so much.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Why not just go back to a DMF and be done with it?
Exactly what I'll be doing when my present DMF needs replacing. I just don't have the time of day to put up with these less-than-thought-out, so-called upgrades. A stalling engine is an upgrade?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
BTW--the score card proves that I win this debate---factuals, facts, statics, surveys, polls, and user feedback states that LWF's are problemmatic and you are 70% (lets give or take 20% to be fair) more likely to have a vehicle with stalling problems with a LWF than without one. You drive a race car---unless your driving that car around as a daily driver in the streets---totally different experience. I would hope you would have a LWF in a race car---I'd have one 2 if I was racing.

Im sure we all agree that the LWF is problemmatic---even with your 993. To the average person, telling them their car has a 60-90% chance of stalling with a LWF probably wont sit well. As I did, I thought maybe (just maybe) I may be one of the lucky ones but I was dead wrong. Im no Porsche nut---just an average driver who is not all that thrilled with the LWF and disappointed that the industry has no fix for 60-90% of those on the road. To try another route, in my opinion, is throwing good money at a bad cause. I have spent many of thousands of $$$ and many trips to the shop and it still stalls time to time. It just gives me a big woody every time it happens!
I'm not disputing that the majority of '95 993 owners with the lwf don't have issues, but until you try and prove that a new ISV won't work, thereby turning over every stone, all of your posts in this thread are really just a bunch of neg-head whining filled with faulty assumptions, poor due diligence and overarching close mindedness.

I may respond later since I'm posting from my iPhone.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

...try and prove that a new ISV won't work...
But if it wasn't stalling before the LWF with the same ISV, why would it stall after?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"but until you try and prove that a new ISV won't work"

A waste of money! The original DME ECM firmware was not written to contend
with the rate of change of the RPMs when a LWF is installed resulting in an
undershoot of the nominal idle RPM. There is no external fix, e.g. Mickey
Mouse chips, a new idle valve, A/C on switch grounded, etc., that will solve the
problem reliably short of re-writing the DME ECM firmware.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
But if it wasn't stalling before the LWF with the same ISV, why would it stall after?
Please go back and re-read the thread since this was already answered.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"but until you try and prove that a new ISV won't work"

A waste of money! The original DME ECM firmware was not written to contend
with the rate of change of the RPMs when a LWF is installed resulting in an
undershoot of the nominal idle RPM. There is no external fix, e.g. Mickey
Mouse chips, a new idle valve, A/C on switch grounded, etc., that will solve the
problem reliably short of re-writing the DME ECM firmware.
Loren (or anyone else familiar w/ the DME s/w) - what parameters are available for tuning by the aftermarket folks? Can the minimum engine speed to allow fuel cut be increased? What about ISV commanded opening vs RPM during decel?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Please go back and re-read the thread since this was already answered.
Too many posts, Mark.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Too many posts, Mark.
If you seek to understand, you might have to read; this is a discussion board. Otherwise, your responses are just adding to the "too many posts" syndrome.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

If you seek to understand, you might have to read; this is a discussion board. Otherwise, your responses are just adding to the "too many posts" syndrome.
Mark, what is adding too many posts is a so-called upgrade that doesn't seem to work and years later, this forum is still talking about it. There are these fixes such as chips that raise the idle RPM, etc....those aren't fixes in my book. Its amusing to read though.

As for too many posts, all we need to do is eliminate non technical discussions from the technical discussion folder.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"what parameters are available for tuning by the aftermarket folks?"

It's not a tuning issue, i.e. tuning is nothing more than basically changing
numbers in a spreadsheet, which won't solve this problem as the routine
controlling the rate of RPM decel is not part of either the fuel or ignition
maps.

"Can the minimum engine speed to allow fuel cut be increased? What about ISV commanded opening vs RPM during decel?"

Both of these variables can only be changed as part of a firmware routine
re-write and just a simple one or two variable change most likely won't
solve the problem. The basic idle algorithm must be re-designed.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"what parameters are available for tuning by the aftermarket folks?"

It's not a tuning issue, i.e. tuning is nothing more than basically changing
numbers in a spreadsheet, which won't solve this problem as the routine
controlling the rate of RPM decel is not part of either the fuel or ignition
maps.

"Can the minimum engine speed to allow fuel cut be increased? What about ISV commanded opening vs RPM during decel?"

Both of these variables can only be changed as part of a firmware routine
re-write and just a simple one or two variable change most likely won't
solve the problem. The basic idle algorithm must be re-designed.
I've had previous success with fixing exactly these types of stalls by adjusting these parameters when tinkering w/ user programmable ECU's. The min RPM to allow fuel cut is particularly effective & shouldn't involve any 'algorithm' changes..

Agree, changing the base fuel or ignition maps is useless for this issue. Is that the only thing tuner folks have access to? On the other hand, the opening of the idle valve has a direct impact on MAP, hence rate of RPM decay with either fuel on or off, no?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"changing the base fuel or ignition maps is useless for this issue. Is that the only thing tuner folks have access to?"

That's it. Besides the '95 993 EPROM basically just stores data for the maps,
and the majority of the firmware is mask/flash coded in the microcontroller
where the idle routine most likely is.

Quick Reply: Fixed My LWF Stalling Problem - New ISV