Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Missed this 1st time around. What a stunning transformation! VERY nice.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Missed this 1st time around. What a stunning transformation! VERY nice.
+1. I like the carpet and seats.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you die/cover your pillars black? Or did they stay grey?

If they are still grey, do you find the transition from black dash and door to grey pillars and headliner awkward?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything above the dash is still original eggshell grey, (A, B, C pillar) but I don't notice it very much. I think it's perfectly alright to have that be a different color. I figure I will redo all that when I delete the sunroof, and I might use some sort of charcoal or black fabric instead of leather anyway.

The headliner is falling off and it flaps against the roll bar when the windows are open. It makes this loud papapapapapapa sound right behind my head, so I can't hear my fister stage II. Lovely!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just wanted to say thank you for the idea to relocate the switches. Almost 3 more lbs in the trash.

I ended up cutting up and recovering the existing center console. Looks a touch odd but not too bad by my eye.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Sean E Yamuni
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super clean.... Love how it makes the car even more timeless.
Question what does this beauty look like from outside ?
Do you have the air bag light on ?
And do you like the rennline floorboards ?.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
993KT
Racer

The outside looks pretty stock at the moment, but I have plans next year to have a makeover.

The airbag light is on at the moment, even though I have added the resistor to fool the system. It is pretty well documented here on how to do that. I might have a bad connection somewhere, but I've been too lazy to check that.

The floorboards are great. In fact almost everything from Rennline has been excellent. I was afraid that the black floorboard might get scratched easily, but that really hasn't been the case.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
993KT
Racer

Nice! I like the silver color floor board and pedal! You did a better job with the wiring than I did.

The center console looks good. I think that's more or less what Singer did. It's a good solution. I have a solution in mind for the shifter, but the handbrake area is tough to cover up nicely.

Originally Posted by daltvater
Just wanted to say thank you for the idea to relocate the switches. Almost 3 more lbs in the trash.

I ended up cutting up and recovering the existing center console. Looks a touch odd but not too bad by my eye.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 PM
c4consult
Racer

What a great look!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome mods!

993KT and daltvater,
Could you please post pictures of the center console area (gear ebrake, etc) after mods?
A view from the back seat area would be nice too.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Rodrigo.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
lopro
Banned

remove and vht vynal dye the above parts all headliner and trims for a/b/c pillers black. reinstall. if done right it can really come out well inside the car. If done well.

lower carpet buy the 600 $ silvernit appbiz and your interior is a good way to refresh to new black carpet - it can be a cost effective solution I figure.
Gosh I love the seats, they are perfect for this kinda car!

Nice interior, what are you doing with the center concol? stockis nice
or just carpet over where the center concol plastics were, wrap in leather?

nice interior I like it, I want to remove my rear seats so bad.
Great idea

Last edited by lopro; 07-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Benton
Drifting

I have to ask lopro, what parts are you talking about removing (confused)? I wouldn't recommend to anyone to remove the a-pillar, b-pillar fabric and headliner fabric and dye/color out of the car. The dye will crack as soon as you go to reinstall, and glass has to be removed to take out some of those parts of fabric. Just dye it all while still in the car, masking carefully and taking care not to allow the sunroof liner to stick to the headliner.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM
lopro
Banned

sorry just trying to help, I know for a fact tho it can be applied well, ive BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS man. VHT is a exceptional product but as you know and or most right, re covering any panel in the right new material /colour is best, but a cost effective solution can be VHT

I might NEVER, NEVER spray this interior inside the car, no way not to be offensive but...no way

the product im talking about (if done right) has decent adhesion to material such a vinyl, form a flexible covering much like paint but more like dye.

If one does it two coats in a warm day possibly I would say it could come out great.
granted it wont last forever and most certainly could be scuffed possibly
Have you used the product IM referring to? Or another brand something like VHT?

just a suggestion an allbe it not the best one, I see your point Benton but my info is not that far off, Op wonderful seats and so sorry for the false info..

Last edited by lopro; 07-11-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Benton
Drifting

Relax. It's a fine product, you are just telling people an unnecessary and difficult method of tackling the project you speak of. Maybe that works for other cars, but it's not the way you would go about dyeing the headliner, a-pillar, and b-pillar on a 993 or older 911 unless you already had the car in a million pieces. I just re-read the thread and saw the OP is looking to possibly dye or replace these pieces.

My advice: brush on surflex to the a-pillars, b-pillars, and headliner after thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly cleaning, first with very lightly soapy solution, second with something like a waterborne wax and grease remover (regular w&g remover is fine if you can't find waterborne). If done correctly and patiently, it looks factory. I won't go into detail on techniques/coats of putting Surflex on vinyl as that has been covered many times before. The toughest part is the sunroof panel liner; first dye the headliner and sunroof liner with the sunroof closed, but wedge something around the edge of the sunroof liner to prevent dye from drying like skin to the panel and the headliner. Let dry for quite some time. After this, open the sunroof slightly and dye the front edge of the sunroof liner. Let dry thoroughly before closing so that the drying dye does not stick to the edge. Ensure you have gotten all spots with the sunroof fully open. Also, periodically push up the sunroof liner around the edges for a few months to ensure that the dye does not stick until fully cured, which takes time. Otherwise, you may peel off the dye unsuspectingly when opening the sunroof. A-pillar fabric may need to be slightly rolled down at the top edge where the fabric is rolled to ensure you get dye down into where the a-pillar and headliner meet, mainly just make sure to have dye down in that gap well. Several interior panels must be removed, seats probably should be out, etc., but it's still FAR easier and a cleaner result than removing glass and fabric.

I did this on my 993 and it has, so far, lasted 6 years with nary a flake. When I cut out the headliner to weld in a non-sunroof roof, the dye stayed intact. I would not, however, expect the dye to stay intact if one had to reinstall the headliner and stretch/pull/etc. to get it to fit well. Dyed leather can be disturbed, but dyed vinyl simply does not hold up well to stretching, contraction, and abrasion. So dye the headliner in-place.

I feel obligated to correct poor DIY information so that someone unsuspecting doesn't go out and start ripping fabric and glass out unnecessarily. I sincerely apologize if this is offensive to you; it's not personal.

Edit: Sorry for the divergence OP. Interior looks amazing and I am doing some very similar stuff at the moment. I'll stay on-topic with any add'l responses.

Last edited by Benton; 07-10-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM
c4consult
Racer

Just great looking!

Quick Reply: Interior Makeover