Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Classic Grey Heated Hardback Sports Seats (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/708622-classic-grey-heated-hardback-sports-seats.html)

Macca 07-26-2012 05:18 AM

Classic Grey Heated Hardback Sports Seats

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

I need your help. Purely a speculative inquiry at this stage as I'm not 100% certain I will part with these yet (but storage space is getting tight!).

Almost nine years ago I bought some black factory heated hardback Sport seats from a 1997 993TT. The leather was marked from storage although the seats only had 25k miles on them.

I had the seats professionally recovered in "classic grey" leather and had the Porsche Crest stamped into the leather. They did a good job. Not as good as the factory but as good as any Ive seen done. Whilst the seat covers were being made I had the seats full refurbished. The seat shells were sanded, primed and painted midnight blue. I ordered factory new "porsche" badges for the backs, new switches, motor drives checked and serviced, heater elements checked and serviced etc.

The seats have around 3k miles on them. They are in 95% condition with no scuffs or marks on the backs or the leather.

I'm based in New Zealand so shipping to the US would be around $1000 at least. I need to decide if I should sell them offshore or sell them locally. The best Ill get for them locally is around 2500 usd.

What do you think I would get for them selling them to someone on this board in the states? I just need to get an idea of a fair price band. Are they 3500 usd or 4500 usd? or less or more?

Some pictures below

vincer77 07-26-2012 08:18 AM

Tempting!

DALLWA 07-26-2012 08:20 AM

I would think your in that $4k to $4500 range since A. They are heated but B. they have been painted, crest was added later and shipping is $1k.

I believe black/black is the most coveted then go down from there. Not sure though, just my first thoughts.

Coop 07-26-2012 09:31 AM

$4000-$4500 (high season, summer) if mint, which I think they are!

No HTwo O 07-26-2012 10:21 AM

Very nice. Shipping is the killer.

doublecabmel 07-26-2012 12:02 PM

What a great setup! Looks nice

JPP 07-26-2012 12:17 PM

Hi Macca .. I agree with most above .. if they were in the U.S., those are $4K seats with the painted backs (I'm assuming the buyer would have to have them re-painted or replaced) .. but with the shipping costs from NZ, I think you need to factor that into your asking price for buyer's here... so $3K-3500 The covers look great BTW .. did a local shop have a Porsche crest stamp or did they tool it by hand?

nile13 07-26-2012 03:53 PM

Macca, I don't think that shipping will be that expensive. I really don't. That's based on shipping some seats in from UK to US, a number of wheel sets from Europe to US and some other similar experiences.

sbarracl 07-26-2012 04:47 PM

They would look fantastic in my Midnight Blue / Classic Grey - unfortunately, fiscal realities are not going to allow it at this point... :crying:

Kigiin 07-26-2012 05:28 PM

Jeez, those ones I paid $1,500 were a great deal!

By the way, IMO the regular seats are more comfortable and provide added head room. But those sports seats look way cool, especially painted.

Macca 07-26-2012 05:41 PM

Hi Everyone. Thanks so much for your advise.

The covers were made in NZ using imported leather from a porsche re-trimmer in UK. The leather was the official "classic grey" and the leather with the pin holes was made per factory spec by them (spacing and hole size).

The trim shop I used had a porsche crest steel stamp which I believe they were provided with by the NZ Porsche importer/distributor to remedy a series of cars supplied without this option by mistake around 10 years ago. Its a huge bit of steel which is heated and gives a perfect retention on the shield.

I only had around 6 months total seat time in these seats before they were wrapped in bubble wrap and stored standing upright in my dry storage unit for the last 3 years. I replaced them with recaro style bucket seats.

For a smaller person I think these would be better than the standard seats for comfort and holding you in place. Im over 6'1" and they were an improvement but not as pronounced.

The heated elements are truly brilliant. My wife has a back injury and with these seats she could travel 3 hrs without any back ache.

Mike - thanks for the shipping advice. Im hoping you are right. Using DHL or Fedex would be $1500 but I think if I use a freight forwarder I could get in under $1000 assuming they are very well packaged.

Based on all your helpful feedback and advice Im thinking these are $3250k usd + shipping seats (assume shipping around $800usd)...

PS. Good skills Kigiin in getting your seats for $1500. Im not sure its relevant. I also paid $1500 for these. That was a decade ago. It was also before they were stripped and fully rebuilt to new specs, backs were professionally shot in midnight blue, recovered with classic grey leather, etc etc. They became $3200 seats in no time. However everyone thats ever seem them as said "wow" and anyone thats sat in them (especially with the heat on) has liked them - so I think it was money well worth spending at the time. What I do think is a bit crazy is the prices asking on ebay for standard 993 sport seats. there were 5 sets their yesterday with the cheapest $5995 usd - WTF!

Thanks again everyone!

DALLWA 07-26-2012 05:53 PM

They look great, PM sent

JPP 07-26-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 9718233)
Hi Everyone. Thanks so much for your advise.

The trim shop I used had a porsche crest steel stamp which I believe they were provided with by the NZ Porsche importer/distributor to remedy a series of cars supplied without this option by mistake around 10 years ago. Its a huge bit of steel which is heated and gives a perfect retention on the shield.

That's very good info Macca .. would you mind pm'ing me with the name/number of the shop, it would be a great resource to be able to send them a set of covers and have the crest stamped into them for a fee :cheers: Do you think they would be willing to do something like that?

Kigiin 07-26-2012 06:05 PM

No, the $1,500 isn't relevant other than I rarely buy stuff that undermarket and I like to publicly pat myself on the back. :) The market at the time was $3-4K with - like you stated - many over that.

I wish mine had been heated.

Macca 07-26-2012 06:14 PM

Hi JP. They sure would. Ill give you the owners name and their details by PM later today (will just check my records).