Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

First Post - My '98 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 AM
David Borden
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice looking car, nice options. congrats!!

David
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Dryfly57
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes Polar Silver ROCKS!!
Enjoy your new ride.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

beautiful car. This community makes up a large part of the ownership experience, welcome aboard, you wont find better company of car nuts. Fill out the location in your profile in case you ever need to enlist local help.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice car - love the color and the look!
I second Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the tires.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:53 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi All,
well its been a while since i posted on this thread so i thought I would give the community a little update on my journey.

so, first off a few pictures from the first day of ownership.. almost three summers ago.. have had some ups and downs but man i really enjoy this car..

delivery... got a call .. "sorry we are a few days ahead of schedule .. is it ok to drop this off today.. " well, yes, yes, it is !

that's the happy " i just got a 993 smile "

Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

Unfortunately, in the first few months - i decided to do a bit of a road trip. and that little whine in the front differential that the PPI informed me about but "may not be a concern" was actually a concern and the front differential stripped a gear on the highway.. i limped into a rest area that was thankfully only a few hundred yards up .. and..had to allow this to happen .. so , found a used differential . got that installed .. and no worries. just a few $$ lighten in the bank account..

Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lucky Dave! Nice car!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 AM
davePorsche
Instructor

I made it through the first year as is having depleted resources on front differential.. and then.. the bug struck over the winter to do the suspension and tires. so, wanting to do it up right i bought a scissor lift .. and was very excited to be starting off on some projects..

Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

oh , wait, for the benefit of the community, i will give full disclosure on the scissor lift story. so despite telling the delivery company numerous times "I have a steep driveway that curves and you need to send this out on a small truck" they sent it on something just short of a semi trailer . of course my frients that came over to help move the lift into the garage were convinced we could get the lift from the semi into the pickup truck and drive it up to the garage. this was a great idea. and did work. however, in the process.. not blaming anyone .. just bad luck eh? we miscommunicated a bit and the lift slipped back against the lift gate .. almost severing the middle finger on my right hand.
So i calmly held my finger together as we drove to the hospital. having your finger crushed by 800 lbs of metal is something i wouldnt wish on anyone. so i give you this advice "do not .. try to move .. the scissor lift off the truck .. with three friends. " make the company delivering go get the right equipment for the job. the irony here is i bought the lift to have 'the right equipment for the job' funny now. not so funny last year. i did get to keep the last two inches of my finger. but it was close. very close. its still not right a year later..

so, if anyone finds this in bad taste i'll remove it .. but .. it really is what happened..

Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

and back to the story.. car is on the lift.. finger was healed .. well healing.. after a month or so of waiting .. so it was time to order up some parts....

Last edited by davePorsche; 03-08-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:11 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

anyone who can really do the suspension DIY by yourself is a far braver mechanic than me. so i found a local mechanic that used to work on a race team. he agreed to be my 'friend' for a mere $65 an hour. so he comes over and helps me around things i dont understand and generally offers to do some of the harder tasks. i find this well worth the cost and much more assuring than reading posts on the internet. i highly recommend this to anyone that wants to do some DIY projects but has fears. .. i dont think i would have made it through this project without his help. truly some of this work was more confusing than i anticipated. of course having done it once i think i could do it again.. but if it is your first time .. my 2cents.. dont get sucked into this project unless you are really committed to it.

old..

empty..

and... NEW!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

there are plenty of threads on how to do this stuff so i will not elaborate on those... i found it very rewarding.. learned a lot.. happy it's done. car drives much much better. really. it is worth the investment to update your suspension if you havent already...

New height with daily driver R32..

Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM
davePorsche
Instructor

after getting the car i became a member of the local porsche club.. i have really enjoyed that and joined the board a year ago to help with their website and club communications. we have one of the smaller clubs in the USA. only just at 100 members.. but I think we have a great group of guys and ladies that have some great cars. you can check out the site we did at: www.schonesland.com

currently my car is up on the lift again this winter:

-sai port clean
-lower valve cover gaskets
-fd motorsports 200 cel cat
-new spark plugs
-new spark plug wires
-new rotors /distributors

whew.. seriously.. running spark plug wires is a bit of a comical event. i know now why the guy at the shop said "remove the varioram" hmm. looks complex.. i bet we can do it without removing the varioram. well, we did it .. but .. miserable experience comes to mind. right up there with laying on your back roto rootering the sai ports. (note- please buy goggles before starting.. really.. take my advice on this)

i'll post some pics of that project soon..

winter is almost over up here in the midwest.. going to be very happy to get back on the road...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post. Always good to see a different perspective. Love the finger photo as well.:big gulp:

Emerald
Old 03-08-2014, 01:54 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice to see you getting stuck in and thanks for the writeup. Glad you kept the middle finger, useful...

Quick Reply: First Post - My '98 993 C4S