Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My 993 Pulling Ahead of a Ferrari - With Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 993 Pulling Ahead of a Ferrari - With Pics!!!

It was parked of course... After a long and painfull spring, trying to get all of the mods (that'll be another thread) done on the car before I put it on the road, I was finally able to drive it today for the first time this season (only about two months later than I had hoped). First drive was to take my wife to her favourite spa to pick up a few things she needed. The spa is part of an upscale hotel that's close to us and there are always nice cars parked out front - I thought it was a perfect opportunity to snap a couple of quick Iphone shots while I waited for her. I thought mine didn't look too bad considering the enourmous difference in price.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53070646@N07/7517408456/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53070646@N07/7517442016/,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53070646@N07/7517439726/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53070646@N07/7517410144/

Last edited by firesm; 07-06-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
inactiveuser926
AutoX

Very nice. Did you fit big reds on it or are those the stock brakes just painted?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Razzle Dazzle!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good! Love the black wheels on your red car.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yours looks like a real driver's car. The other one shouts "look at me and my money."
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude... racing on the street... NOT COOL!
And while parked... oh man. Put your flame suit on

PS -neat pix
Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your car looks great!

one thing we seem to have in common though... the fit on our splitters, they just dont line up like the OE ones. i have the same splitters (i think) and fit is off just like yours. i wish they would sit flush...

heres mine

Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
your car looks great!

one thing we seem to have in common though... the fit on our splitters, they just dont line up like the OE ones. i have the same splitters (i think) and fit is off just like yours. i wish they would sit flush...

heres mine

Gahh - you had to pick out the one thing that was annoying me today after I put everything together - didn't you! Well the good news for you is that these splitters are the real deal expensive Porsche brand - so you've saved yourself quite a bit of money buying aftermarket! The passenger side fits perfectly flush, and with a little more fiddling around I'll get this side perfect too - but I had promised to get the car on the road today - so I had to settle for that fit to keep things moving along - besides, who would notice...right?...
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
TravisB
Pro

Mine did that too, drove me nuts. I had the cover off when I was doing the fan resistors and noticed the push-tab thingamabob on the splitter that went through the slots in the bumper cover didn't want to hold. My solution was simply taking a couple binder clips and clamping them on the end of the tabs so they wouldn't pull back through the slot. It was meant to be a temporary fix but several months and thousands of miles have gone by and they're still holding strong, so I can't complain about a free, invisible 'fix' that couldn't be easier..no point in removing the bumper to re-fix something that hasn't re-broken!

Photographic proof...my car is right in front.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
...The passenger side fits perfectly flush, and with a little more fiddling around I'll get this side perfect too
haha my apologies

any advice how you'll get them to go flush? are they adjustable? i didnt install mine. but it always grabs my eye. my passenger side (as photoed above) is off more than my drivers side, bugs me particularly more.

i'll have the car on stands tomorrow so i can poke around some. but i didnt think there was any room for movement?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
Gahh - you had to pick out the one thing that was annoying me today after I put everything together - didn't you! ... I had promised to get the car on the road today - so I had to settle for that fit to keep things moving along - besides, who would notice...right?...
Who would notice? Rennlist, that's who. I have been amazed at the detective's eye being cast so well and by so many here.

Great pics and really nice looking car. Love the black wheels, splitter and wing.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM
firesm
Pro

haha my apologies

any advice how you'll get them to go flush? are they adjustable? i didnt install mine. but it always grabs my eye. my passenger side (as photoed above) is off more than the drivers side, bugs me particularly more.

i'll have the car on stands tomorrow so i can poke around some. but i didnt think there was any room for movement?
Travis is right - it all comes down to the tabs on the splitters that slide into slots on the bumper. On the passenger side they went into the slots with an audible click and held very tight - on the driverside they were the same except for the one tab/slot closest to centre. With a little fooling around I'll get it tight - these types of things are easy to work on when you have a lift at home, but the clock was ticking today...
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by TravisB
Mine did that too, drove me nuts. I had the cover off when I was doing the fan resistors and noticed the push-tab thingamabob on the splitter that went through the slots in the bumper cover didn't want to hold. My solution was simply taking a couple binder clips and clamping them on the end of the tabs so they wouldn't pull back through the slot. It was meant to be a temporary fix but several months and thousands of miles have gone by and they're still holding strong, so I can't complain about a free, invisible 'fix' that couldn't be easier..no point in removing the bumper to re-fix something that hasn't re-broken!

Travis, I had a paper towel joke all lined up - it's just too easy now, but if you keep getting your parts from Staples we all may have some new material!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Yours looks like a real driver's car. The other one shouts "look at me and my money."
what a ridiculous comment
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what a ridiculous comment
Quad - I get what Bruce was trying to do - he was complimenting my car when we both know the other is far superior... kind of like when your wife or girlfriend tells you size doesn't matter... when you both know it does I kid, I kid Just having a little fun on a Friday night!

Quick Reply: My 993 Pulling Ahead of a Ferrari - With Pics!!!