Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone order a COA from Porsche NA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Anyone order a COA from Porsche NA?

Is is worth it? or a waste of $90.00 that can be spent on new parts and beer
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered one just to have the documentation of what the true value of the car is. If something ever happened to the car, fighting the insurance company I've heard is hell, so the more documentation you can have the better. Plus it just looks cool to have framed and hang on the wall in my office!

But yes $90 would buy you a good supply of beer
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 239 Posts

It is worth it unless you have the window sticker for your car. If I had the ws I would have skipped the COA.

It's nice to have, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

I love my car, but still marvel at the $76,000 MSRP on the COA.......
Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Keep in mind - sometimes they're wrong. So even though you give them the VIN and codes - they sometimes add or delete options and you have no recourse. Just my experience...
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM
993dream
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 177mph
Keep in mind - sometimes they're wrong. So even though you give them the VIN and codes - they sometimes add or delete options and you have no recourse. Just my experience...
+1.

I ordered one for my 96 C2. I gave them the VIN and it came back saying that my car is a C4 and that MSRP is unavailable. They refunded me the $90 after I sent it back.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Do they include the gearbox and engine serial numbers? That to me would be most important to show the the car is "numbers matching" for VIN, gearbox and engine.

A simple VIN match with option codes on the Maroney sticker is not worth anything to me since I have both the Maroney and the option code sticker under my hood is still there.

The under hood sticker includes options that are part of options. For example, ABD shows on the Maroney Sticker as "Torque Limited Slip with ABD", not making it clear that this option also includes "M220" a true Limited Slip Differential, something that is clearly shown on the under hood sticker.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

In my experience COAs are often ordered when trying to substantiate the options and /or matching
numbers scenario on vintage 911's ,also when trying to return a vehicle to it's original option codes and
accessories.
I just received one this week on my recently purchased Tangerine '69 911 S with a cost of $115.00
but even PNA couldnt verify the original interior color despite it apparently being unchanged from new and off white of all things.
It did indicate leather which is correct for the front seating.
I'm just not certain what validity it adds to a newer more modern car where that info is easily pulled from dealer and bonnet tags...Bert
Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Waste of money IMO
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by budge96
...I just received one this week on my recently purchased Tangerine '69 911 S with a cost of $115.00
...Bert
Did it have your original gearbox and engine serial and type numbers?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993

Anyone order a COA from Porsche NA? Is is worth it? or a waste of $
Originally Posted by mike cap

It is worth it unless you have the window sticker for your car. If I had the ws I would skip the COA.
Originally Posted by rsr91128

Waste of money IMO
Erik-- With all the wonderful work you've done helping RLers reproduce window stickers, you may be especially interested in this web article about a new product from stuttgartStudios.com.

9 Magazine's "Are You Missing Your Window Sticker?:"

Originally Posted by 9magazine.com

Are you missing your window sticker? Now you can get a replica produced!

When I purchased my first Porsche back in the day, the previous owner did not have the window sticker. He was the original owner of the vehicle, and I was shocked that he did not have the paperwork for the car. Not only did I want to know what options the car was equipped with, but I wanted to know the details of the delivery including the sale price.

I went as far as contacting Porsche to see if a duplicate could be purchased – but they do not offer that. What Porsche does offer is a “COA” or Certificate of Authenticity, which is great for other purposes such as engine / transmission serial number identification. However there is something special about having the window sticker.

Now, a company called Stuttgart Studios (not affiliated with Porsche Cars North America or Porsche AG) develops reproduction window stickers which are in exacting detail and as accurate as the origional. All artwork, layout vehicle data, and options/pricing are true to the car just as the day it was delivererd new in the dealer showroom! Stuttgart Studios goes a step further for the discriminating client bt offering realistic aging and weathering that provides period-correct look for a classic vehicle. The window stickers are offered in a few different formats including a digital PDF file, paper, lamination, and custom framing.

This photo shows the variations in aging available for clients. Now you can get a great reproduction for your records or for display at car shows. Bring back a bit of nostalgia to your ownership experience! Also makes a great gift once framed for that special Porsche person.
No affiliation.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jäger,

Long time no email Hope all is well

The repro window sticker company is a rennlister:

https://rennlist.com/forums/9196567-post18.html

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Bob, my 95 993 COA does list the type and serial numbers.

For those wondering, here is what your $100 gets you:

Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I've debated on this since getting the C4S. Also would love a real window sticker.

IMHO, the window sticker is cooler, but that being said, I've asked for the COA as a X-mas gift a few times. But that being said, I also have the original dealer literature, & press kits for the 993.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Got one. it's cool to have.

Have the window sticker too.

Oddly, there are slight differences in the way the options are described.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Jäger, here is what your $100 gets you:
Whoaa ... for 1 benjamin you get ALL of those Excellence issues in the background? Nice!

The repro window sticker company is a rennlister:

https://rennlist.com/forums/9196567-post18.html
Here's another thread about Chris (UDPride)'s product on the 996 Forum: "Place that does OEM looking window stickers."

Erik-- Any chance you're on the way to the big national PCA Parade that starts Sunday?
Would be awesome to meet up; I (like so many others) would like to buy ya a drink
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Everything it left the factory with is still present and accounted for,
with the one exception of white PORSCHE lettering graphic said to be installed in Stuttgart...hey Jager how goes it? Bert

Quick Reply: Anyone order a COA from Porsche NA?