Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Had a new windshield installed on the C4, very happy!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my new Pilkington windshield ( Stamped: Made in Germany!? ) installed by Ken ( mgr ) at Safelight Autoglass on Colorado in Pasadena, CA ( My total bill came to $713.00 )plus I bought both the inner and outer moldings from Sunset for less than $50.00 and they happily installed them.

Their price is the best, the shop is big and clean, Ken the manager and crew were friendly, know what they are doing, very careful with everything. The best part was...I had some minor surface rust at both lower corners, they cleaned , sanded a bit and put something to treat the rust for No extra charge !
Also, the antenna wire/plug is a bit tricky to get to ( my previous windshield install guy just cut the wire and spliced it together ) Now, this time it is done right, Ken knew what he was doing....opened front hood, released the clip of the hood shock to allow more room, reached in and plugged in the antenna wire connector correctly !

All & all, I cannot be more happy with everything, HIGHLY recommend them !
If you are in the greater Los Angeles areas and need a windshield replacement........

Special thanks to Edward for your past post about Ken and this place.

Cheers!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking windshield condom

Originally Posted by Stealth 993

ClearPlex film.

Basically clear bra for the windshield.
http://www.clearplex.com/
Thanks for the info, Mike!

Very timely: just last week during our surprise visit to see cSertich, I mentioned my desire for such a prophylactic. Replacement's ~$2,750 just for glass

IIRC, RLer 3healey recommended "NASCAR tear-offs."
Anyone familiar with similar products to Clearplex?

Originally Posted by curve lover
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

How does the new windshield hook up with the "antenna in the windshield?"
Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
Here's a piece of an old post from 2001.

Originally Posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni
Guys,

... It is a HUGE pain to get to, my windshield installer had to use a long tool to actually reach it and push on the plug since neither of us had skinny enough arms to reach. You must use a flashlight to even see the plug. Open the front trunk and look at the very back of the compartment behind the fuse box on the passenger side next to the fire wall and you should see the connector. It is a round black plastic wire connector.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: E. J. - 95 Carrera - No. Va. ]
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just found these...

ProTint/com's
- "Porsche 911 993 & 964 WindshieldStack4 Tear-Off"
- "Porsche 911 993 & 964 ProShield Tear-Off"

Any tear-off experience here? I'm guessing they're mostly for racing.

Year-old thread from a RL sponsor on the 997 Forum, "Diamond Fusion Windshield Protection Film on Spyder!"

From the 996 GT2/GT3 Forum's "GT3 Windshield" thread:
Originally Posted by Gofishracing

tearoffguys.com- best idea when new. Glass -dealer only I believe.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

tearoffguys.com is my next try.
Originally Posted by CT03911

I agree with "GoFish". Use the Tearoff Guys for your new windshield.
I cracked mine a few years back, a rock while towing I guess.
Safelight sourced a windshield from Porsche which I promptly had Jim from the Tearoff Guys in Middletown, NY protect with a film. Over that he put an actual "tearoff".
Once a year I peel off the tearoff, the film under is perfect, and have them do another tearoff.
I tried a few tearoffs myself before going to a pro. They have an actual Pcar windscreen they use to heat form a tearoff so it actually goes on nice.
Originally Posted by gvtesse

I was thinking of going with tearoffs to help protect against scratching. I do, however, still drive my car too and from the track so that might not work.
Originally Posted by Camber

I'm not familiar with tearoffguys.com, but I have used Protint for years and have been very happy with their product. No affiliation. http://shop.protint.com/category.sc?categoryId=2.
Originally Posted by 996FLT6

If using wipers Tearoffs will look scratched up and yellow. Go with stock glass unless it's pretty much a track *****. Mike
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

Doublecabmel:

There is a wire with a connector coming out of the windshield on the lower right corner.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Curious to hear how the Clearplex wears....I read up on it online and it sounded from the reviews that it doesn't hold up so well, but maybe that was an earlier version of the product. Stealth what did the guys who did your install say about it? Curious because I really, really need a new windshield and want to do the Clearplex as well.
I was told it would need to be replaced every few years on my daily driver. It really comes down to how clean you keep the windshield & wipers. I should use the special wax once a month & try to keep wiper use at a minimum.

Originally Posted by Cactus
I want the Clearplex! What happens if you install it on a well worn windshield? I am just trying to prolong the dreaded day that I need a new windshield installed and the problems this will create.....
They can do it, but it sticks better to new glass. This stuff is installed, then heat shrunk to the glass. Honestly, get new glass, then get it installed on the new glass. I'm pissed that it me so long to get done. I really should have done it years ago. My rust would have been non-extistant then.

Thanks for the info, Mike!

Very timely: just last week during our surprise visit to see cSertich, I mentioned my desire for such a prophylactic. Replacement's ~$2,750 just for glass

The tear offs are about the same price as the Clearplex installed. If I were you, I would purchased a couple of pieces of glass then store them for future use. I'm sure they will go NLA, or double in price soon.

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
My install guy removed the dash, there was no issue hooking anything up. He even rerouted my GPS antenna for me.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
C4S993
Pro

Hi all,

Did you guys try claying your windshield ? I use an aggressive clay and it clears off dirt that soap cannot remove. Last for a few weeks. I use detail spray to keep the clay moist.

Nice to see that shops are now cleaning the rusted areas of the lower corners. Mine has driver side slight bubbles showing; 170,000 C4S.

Recently had some cancer removed from freckled Irish arm. Wonder is the Pa law would let me darken the windshield to block out UV ?

Patrick
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$775 at Sunset
Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Went through this last year when my windshield was hit by a rock/nut from an Air-liquide truck and replaced it with a Pilkington through Safelite.

Don
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

$775 at Sunset
Noah-- Forget a "1" in front of your price, trying to get my hopes up, ...or are you just that good on the phone?

Sunset's Jesse (503.641.8600) quoted $1,775 for the above-linked & pictured windshield, part #964 541 011 06.

P.S. For 993 coupe/cab, their windshield's $795; part #993 541 111 06.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bad -- didn't realize you were talking about 964 glass. That is indeed pricey.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Chubb insurance and I have a no deductable windshield clause. I'm on my third maybe my fourth windshield. The last one cost $0 as it was covered by the policy. I paid for the others.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

$775 at Sunset
Is this for stock glass? Tempting to buy one and store it before they double in price.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice going Mike, glad it worked out so easily for you. Sure wish I had known about CarTech when I had mine done.

Sadly, mine is $500, but I bet you pay double of what I pay per year.
Details? I'm looking for new insurance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had a new windshield installed on the C4, very happy!