993 Forum 1995-1998

RWB wash n wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Maybe it just looks like it should have 600+ hp. 3100LBS with 245-255 RWhp is not all that great.IMHO
How many of your cars have been on the cover of a magazine?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

This car should be the model when people talk about a car's stance. It absolutely nails it. I'm not normally a fan of body add-ons on 911s of any kind but the RWB cars sure work for me. It looks AWESOME.

And at the risk of sounding old, I just don't get the current obsession with horsepower. There is NOWHERE to use it. I have NEVER felt my simple normally aspirated 993 was slow. Something to be said for being able to put your foot into it for more than 4-5 seconds without breaking the sound barrier.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 151 Posts

Absolutely absolutely amazing!!! You Sire are the man!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
Maybe it just looks like it should have 600+ hp. 3100LBS with 245-255 RWhp is not all that great.IMHO
I know you meant no harm by this, but the net horsepower, right out of the factory is actually 270. Put a few mods on and, at least in my case, you dyno 291. And to be **** (lol), the weight is 3064. Every little bit counts!

That being said... even if my car did only have 245hp, I could still get into plenty of trouble. As for the question regarding the obsession with horsepower... granted I only get to see high speeds at the track, but having that power sure is a lot easier pulling out into traffic than my Miata is.

Now that I have done my "duty" in defending the glory.of the 993... the subject of this thread looks like the complete opposite of a sleeper. Body kits are not my thing, but I am old and grumpy so my opinion doesn't count. Lol. But do I have a ton of respect for this car? Absolutely. I know you are going to absolutely enjoy it for many years to come. I am so happy for you to be living your dream!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Thanks everyone. I have to say I wasn't offended by the HP question. I was just interested in the bases for the question. Was there engineering reasoning or was it based on a hunch. Either way I agree the car looks like it needs 600 hp. In person it has been described as going a hundred miles per hour standing still so I get the notion that it needs the power to back up its looks. With the wider rubber front and rear the car is different, not good not bad just different.
All that said, I'd love to take the3.6L and convert to 4.0L twin turbo charged. But if I do that I'll have to save my pennies for a while.
It just a weekend car. No track time in its future. I'll save this car and race my dedicate race car for speed.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 245-255 RWhp(rear wheel hp)Fact not opinion.

The last time I put my VRAM 3.6 on Auto Associates of Canton Dynapack it pulled 245.6 RWhp.That is with SW software upgrade.I am told that is absolutely normal.NonVram 95' 3.6's pull around 220-225RWhp. The facts are the facts. Give Scott McPherson a call.He runs the Dynmometer on 3.6 engines all the time.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Default Whatever you say!

Originally Posted by ashirji
I thought you were banned, and had to make a great show of apology in order to get back on here at RL. A fellow has just showcased his RWB. It may not be to everyone's taste but the amount of effort it takes to get a car to this point is undeniable . Perhaps he feels happy with its power level, and thinks the car is just fine as is. I say to each their own. As long as we are not offending anyone, which i hope was not your intent here, voice your opinion in a tactful way, look for feedback if applicable, and then learn something and move on.
Works for me, and several others here on this board.
The first thing I said to the OP is that the car looks great.It sounds as if you need to mind your own business.If I offend you that's just to bad.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

208 HP

An absolute blast to drive.

Who cares about absolute numbers? It's the absolute experience that matters.

(I'll bet Brinkley's Monster is a blast to drive as well.)

JMHO
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Default None.

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
How many of your cars have been on the cover of a magazine?
I have never tried.If I felt like it I could easily write a $20,000.00 check for a bodykit and start calling around.I have no desire to have one or all of my cars on the cover of a magazine. Must be your thing, Mr.Chi.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi

(I'll bet Brinkley's Monster is a blast to drive as well.)

JMHO
The OP has stated that the front end feels unsettled.I do not like my 911's to feel this way.Do you do Mr.Chi?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Fantastic! Love the slate gray.

Maybe I am going to show my ignorance, but I have never heard of "idlers" tires before. They seem perfect on the car though and having "idlers" on the side wall just adds to the bad-*** factor.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Cetz,

The car rides on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and the wheels are SSR's. The "idlers" that Nakai-san paints on the sidewall is in recognition of the Japanese car club that he runs with. Their group is called Idlers. Or at least that is what he said to me in rough translation. It's his way of recognizing them/where his inspiration comes from.

I love the look as the car is rolling slow down the street.

And just for the record, I didn't seek out 9 Magazine to attempt to promote my build. Word spread and they are based in FL so they were close enough to come and do an article. Just saying.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

It matters to me the horsepower, but only on my car. The 270 figure I got out of the owner's manual. The dyno I realize might not be on the dot. Vram says it is around 225. I will find out from my mechanic -he has over thirty years experience with Porsches and was trained by the company. This is not an obsession with horsepower. This is my insatiable curiosity. You guys are hard on my checkbook. Thanks for your input Vram. If I find out you are right, I suppose I will have to eat some crow. It won't be the first time, lol.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh... almost forgot... Vram -not trying to discredit you or anything, but can you please tell me where you got your hp figures? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind. Re-read your post and see you got figures from a dyno. I am still curious enough to pay for a few pulls, though.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Brinkley - thanks for the info. As I suspected I am out of touch. I just went and read through your build post and saw the pictures of the template. But that begs the question; did he give you the template so you can spray it on your next set of tires?

Incredible build, great look, envious. I still cannot believe he did that in four days!!

Quick Reply: RWB wash n wax