Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   OBD scanner for 993 needed (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/700617-obd-scanner-for-993-needed.html)

993rookie 06-07-2012 01:05 AM

OBD scanner for 993 needed

Good day-first Rennlist post, first time Porsche owner for about 2 months now (96 993 C2 / black & tan). Porsche enthusiast for ~25 years, since my early teens. Check engine light appears some, random misfire from a shaky flywheel due to a stiff clutch (so I'm told) & driving a suburban the past 10 years. I need a good obd to ensure it continues to read in the P300's. Any suggestions on a good check engine light scanner? Thanks & glad to finally be on board.

clvig 06-07-2012 01:11 AM

Durametric works great and they have great support
www.durametric.com

ToreB 06-07-2012 04:46 AM

Welcome.
Rennlisters have made a freeware PC software Scantool, and you'll need a serial port adapter for connection to the car. You can make that yourself if you have some electronic skills. Search on this forum for details/download info. I've got a web site for sw download and purchase of a USB-based adapter for Scantool too.
Cheers,
Tore

dr jim 06-07-2012 07:14 AM

Welcome to Rennlist. The scanner options listed above are both excellent. In addition, if you are looking for an inexpensive and effective scan tool I have had good luck with the Autel MaxiScan MS310. I ordered it through Amazon.com. The cost was around $55. Autel was recommended by my mechanic who uses them around his shop, in addition to his professional scanner.

Jim

osugasman 08-21-2012 04:03 PM

Tore: got my first ever CEL. Can't get your OBD scanner to run on the DME side to figure it out. Any recommendations? All other areas fine, followed the lock/unlock/blah/blah/blah route multiple times without luck...

Dr. Jim: does that scan tool work well work with DME issues?

--Brian

ToreB 08-21-2012 04:16 PM

OK, osugasman, you have a Porsche Drive Block immobilizer, right? I got a mail the other day from a customer with a trick, please try this:
Computer started, USB hooked up, OBD plugged in, and switched to DME
Key in the car, ignition on, drive block fob button has been pushed, icon is not on dash.
Started the scantool software. Will try to connect. Will not be able to. Close and try again. Still not able to, but leave it running:
While it is trying, if you unplug the OBD plug, the blue light will flash. If you then plug it in, you will get another blue flash. The secret is to get these blue flashes of unplug and plug close together. It takes a few tries, but you will know you got it right when the blue light starts rapidly flashing, and the scantool will connect and display the DME info.

This obviously make it possible to overcome an inaccurate DME communication initialize sequence in the Scantool software.
I look forward to see any results in your car!
Cheers,
Tore

Falcondrivr 08-21-2012 04:20 PM

Does the gas pedal method work on 1996 cars? If so, sit in the car with the key off. Depress the gas pedal to the floor. Turn the key to the #2 position. Release the gas pedal. Count the CEL flashes. It will flash a couple of times, pause, flash a couple/few, pause, flash a couple/few pause, etc...that's the code. I know this works on the OBD1 cars, not sure about the OBD2 ones.

osugasman 08-21-2012 04:46 PM

Tore: no luck, multiple attempts over 15 minutes or so.

Falcondrivr: no luck there, either.

Thanks.

ToreB 08-21-2012 04:48 PM

OK, damn...
Thanks anyway, it was my best shot.
Cheers,
Tore

Falcondrivr 08-21-2012 05:45 PM

Toreb, the gas pedal will definitely work on your 95.

ToreB 08-22-2012 04:19 AM

Falcondrivr, the gas pedal readout procedure is US spec car specific. It is not implemented in european cars. I know, I've tried.
Cheers,
Tore

Falcondrivr 08-22-2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ToreB (Post 9783438)
Falcondrivr, the gas pedal readout procedure is US spec car specific. It is not implemented in european cars. I know, I've tried.
Cheers,
Tore

I didn't know that. I thought the row cars were OBD1 also. One never stops learning from this place....