Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Front Windshield Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Too many Hauryble stories about these guys! Euroglass did my 911SC front and rear glass following a restorative repaint. Everything was done to perfection with these guys!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 AM
ande5000
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've had a bit of an ordeal this past week having the original windshield replaced on my 993. After getting several quotes, took it last week to a reputable local shop which was recommended by a friend who had his '97 993 Turbo's windscreen replaced there a few weeks earlier. They had a Pilkington windscreen in stock, which was listed as an "OE" replacement. Cost was $840 installed, including tax... not bad compared to what the local Porsche dealer and several other glass shops quoted, which were all over $1K.

They completed the job with no apparent issues, and I was happy to finally have a new windshield. Well, as I was driving home from the shop, happy to be looking through perfectly clear, pit free new glass, I noticed the black urethane sealant had squeezed up over the inner rubber seal all across the lower edge, right in front of the leading edge of the upper dash. Sloppy install job... not good!

Called the shop the next day, and they said they "stand behind their work", and that they'd either clean it up or replace the new windshield with another new windshield free of charge. They asked me if I could bring it out for them to look at, so I did the next day and they determined that they could not clean up the excess sealant, and would need to replace the new windshield with another new one.

Sooo.... took it back yesterday....they'd ordered another new windscreen -- Sigla this time. The installer who did the job the first time (and who the shop manager said was the guy they use for "high end" car glass installations) said the Pilkington didn't fit as well as he'd like... he said it was slightly "raised" in the lower middle of the glass such that it didn't lay flat against the frame/gasket.

Anyway, they're supposed to install the new replacement of the new replacement today.... we'll see how it turns out this time. With luck this one will turn out fine and only cost me a little extra time and aggravation in dealing with a botched windshield install job.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:05 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

1. You need the right height/thickness on the bead of urethane so it bonds to the back of the glass so you don't get overspill on the inside trim but you want it just right or to much or to little you end up with the famous 993 squeak or a leak if it's to thin

2. With 993's it all about the way you apply the urethane you want the bead of urethane to touch the inner part of the back of the screen where the raised part on the back edge is & not touch the hard plastic outer trim on the screen were the outer trim clips into so all the glue is uniform and touching the inner raised part of the new screen.

3. When you install the screen you need to make sure it sits central in the hole and the hard plastic outer trim on glass is not touching the apiture of the frame so not to squeak/leak.

4. If you use a new outer trim the glass tends to be more " springy" in the hole so I tend to use a strap to help it stay put while the screen sets.

5. When I do 993 screens I ask if the customer wants me to fill the gap between the glass & apiture as Porsche tell you but that's a like a "what oil do I use in my 993"

I've been doing this since 88 & remember when the **** ups started back then when the 993 came out and there still going on....but sounds like you guys in the states have found the good guys in some states

There not a hard job to do but fairly time consuming when you have to treat the rust if any & you just need have I bit of experience to get the nack of getting it spot on

Hope this helps...fuch
Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 PM
ande5000
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tutorial Fuch... replacing these windshield properly sounds like you really have to know what you're doing. Beyond the scope of most local glass shops, unfortunately. Too bad you're across the pond and not around here to do the job properly!

On the rust... yes, there was some surface rust on both lower corners -- they showed it to me when the windscreen was out -- but fortunately no rust through. They sanded it off and applied some etching primer over the area. Since I don't drive it in the wet or wash it very often (I use Griot's waterless carwash or Speedshine to clean the car, as it never gets really dirty) hopefully this will take care of it.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Im over in boston over xmas this year so i will bring my tools!!...

If you look at this pic i have you can see im using my finger as a guide to keep the glue in the right place as i gun it round so its uniform and not to far out or to far in so no overspill on the inside

Bit of rust before!!

After a bit of tlc...
Getting there....

Afrer....

This car was a rs track rat so had no inner trim but the pics give you a idea....

Last edited by fuch; 06-17-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 AM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by TravisB
Finally got a hold of Mark and swung by his shop on my way home. His tune changed 180 degrees after he took a look and will be doing a R&R, hopefully a week from today I'll have it back and squared away!

Figured I'd throw this out there for the record, I got the car back last Thursday and it looks great. No gaps in the trim, no leaks, and nearly no creaks. We basically concluded that the body shop pulled the tape off the car before the urethane cured and pretty likely the door was slammed shut with the windows/sunroof closed. Two thumbs up to Mark and the guys at Service Auto Glass for making this right!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Instead of starting another thread, I'll add here and hope I don't get in trouble.

I just got a new windshield at Safelite. 2.5 hours to replace the original glass and put a new OEM Pilkington one in. No corrosion of any type, "virginous" the tech described it as... $1200... insurance covered it...

Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

I would recommend Safelite Auto Glass in Pasadena, 626-792-0618 ask for Ken ( mgr )
They did mind last year and very happy with their price and knowledge with the installation.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In montreal, it's about 1300$, but I have a contact who can do it for 950$ tax included... but it's still expensive.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I was about $1100 in SoCal recently.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:40 AM
LaMesan
1st Gear

Default La Mesa Cayenne

Originally Posted by ehanauer
I replaced it earlier this year for $700 in San Diego, at a place recommended by my Porsche Indy.
could you share where you got your windshield in San Diego please? Thanks, La Mesan
Old 04-03-2019, 04:22 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by fuch
1. You need the right height/thickness on the bead of urethane so it bonds to the back of the glass so you don't get overspill on the inside trim but you want it just right or to much or to little you end up with the famous 993 squeak or a leak if it's to thin

2. With 993's it all about the way you apply the urethane you want the bead of urethane to touch the inner part of the back of the screen where the raised part on the back edge is & not touch the hard plastic outer trim on the screen were the outer trim clips into so all the glue is uniform and touching the inner raised part of the new screen.

3. When you install the screen you need to make sure it sits central in the hole and the hard plastic outer trim on glass is not touching the apiture of the frame so not to squeak/leak.

4. If you use a new outer trim the glass tends to be more " springy" in the hole so I tend to use a strap to help it stay put while the screen sets.

5. When I do 993 screens I ask if the customer wants me to fill the gap between the glass & apiture as Porsche tell you but that's a like a "what oil do I use in my 993"

I've been doing this since 88 & remember when the **** ups started back then when the 993 came out and there still going on....but sounds like you guys in the states have found the good guys in some states

There not a hard job to do but fairly time consuming when you have to treat the rust if any & you just need have I bit of experience to get the nack of getting it spot on

Hope this helps...fuch
I had my windshield done last winter, and appear to have the famous 993 squeak. Fuch.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by msw
some insurances have a $100 deductible on windshield replacement....even if the rest of your deductible is higher.

had $1K deductible and after simply buying new windshields over the years when needed and paying for them...'found' that out when wife's suv needed one...ouch.

check w insurance agent.

otherwise...quad is right...$800-1000 for glass...another $100 or so for seals and install $1-200.

you want someone who had done a lot...otherwise...higher chance of squeak and/or leak
There are several different definitons for when You need a new windscreen! 80k miles of sand blasting is probably not enough for a $100 deductible but a serious stone chip or crack will be.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

any good recs for this in austin, texas?
Old 05-30-2019, 02:18 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Recommendations in NYC area?
A 5 inch crack opened up over the weekend.

Quick Reply: 993 Front Windshield Replacement Cost