ABS and speedometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts
Default ABS and speedometer issue

it's been raining pretty hard in Boston in over the weekend and I had an autocross in the rain on Saturday. Sunday night I went to start the car. The car started and ran but ABS seemed to have been pulsing, I could feel it in the pedal. That stopped a minute or so later but what remain is ABS light on and no speedometer or odometer this morning.

Now, it sounds like either the speed sensor issue or ABS brain issue based on previous posts here. I checked fuse 16 and it's fine. Have not had a chance to look further as the car was taken to the dealer for latch motors recall this morning.

So, where do I start? Have them do the hammer reading first ($62)? Or should I start looking right at speed sensor? It's the left front wheel sensor, correct? Are all 4 sensors the same? Any other ideas? I'm a bit surprised that odometer was inoperable, I'd expect speedometer and ABS, but not odometer.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start by pulling each wheel off and checking the connectors to the ABS sensors. I was getting a random ABS light that ultimately was traced to a dirty connector. With all the rain it's possible you're getting a short and if so the connector is a weak spot where it could be happening. You can't tell if the connections are good just by looking at them - mine looked tight and clean but I pulled them apart and cleaned them up anyway and it fixed my problem. Hopefully it will fix yours. Forget about taking the sensors off, they'll most likely break if you try to remove them. Just clean up and reseal the connectors and see what happens.

As to the odometer I'm at a loss. Sounds like a coincidence to me as I believe it's mechanical with no tie to the brakes at all.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps some water in the abs brain or connector? I believe the speed signal goes though the abs brain.
My Durametric reader can read the brake codes, a few dealer reads and you could have bought your own.
Pete

BTW, Still enjoying the steering wheel... Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

If you end up pulling the speed/abs sensors please let me know, because if they are the old metal bodied ones and are corroded onto the holes you will have fun getting them out.

All the best

Berni
Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys.

I do understand why the speedometer stopped working - the signal comes from one of the sensors. I do suspect that it could be a connection issue, especially with all the water. What bugs me is the odometer. It has new gears as of a few thousand miles ago and ran fine for a while. I'm wondering where odometer signal is coming from, though.

So... which sensor am I looking at? Front left? And are the sensors physically the same on teh front and rear wheels?

PS. Pete, I'm enjoying mine too. Great feel. I just got a perforated Momo Competition for my autocross appliance and Polish re-cover feels better than Italian original.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump for more opinions.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't the odometer and speedometer share the same input signal from the same sensor? I haven't looked at the 993 manual/wiring diagram so I could be wrong, but in other vehicles I've worked on with a similar speedometer/odometer system they both used one input signal from the vehicle speed sensor which is usually mounted on the transmission. The speedometer uses the frequency of the waveform to determine the speed and the odometer is just basically a pulse counter of sorts. On newer vehicles manufacturers have started using the ABS wheel speed sensor instead of a dedicated vehicle speed sensor, but I'm not sure that's the case with the 993.

GC
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm fairly certain that 993s use ABS speed sensor on the wheel (which one?) for the speed signal instead of transmission signal.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Pretty sure the speedo only gets one input, the internals in the speedo then do the miles trip and mph. I would try brake cleaner spray on the sensors
Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 AM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an issue with my speedo - it sometimes just stops working. If I tap the face of it then it kicks back into life...weird
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 AM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I'm fairly certain that 993s use ABS speed sensor on the wheel (which one?) for the speed signal instead of transmission signal.
I believe that systems that use the ABS sensor usually look at more than one sensor (probably all four) and do some sort of averaging of the wheel speeds to determine the vehicle speed.

GC
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

GC, from what I've heard it's one sensor. I'll try to dig out my 993 schematics book.

Pervy, do you know which sensor off top of your head? For some reason left front is stuck in my head as the one sending signal (logical, as it's the closest one to the ABS brain, I believe).
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

100% sure, signal speed in manual is left front sensor, in tiptronic it is the transmission shaft regards
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geo, thanks for confirmation!

Any plan on how to diagnose things by myself? Or should I simply start with taking the front wheel off and cleaning the sensor (with brake cleaner?)?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

When I had problems with my Tip box it was the RH (from memory) front ABS/speed sensor that caused it. That was just the Tip box though not the speedometer which worked fine.

Berni

Quick Reply: ABS and speedometer issue