ABS and speedometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sh
ould I simply start with taking the front wheel off and cleaning the sensor
Just to be clear I think it's the connector(s) that you want to pay the most attention to. You can clean up around the sensor too but I found mine weren't especially dirty and I'm sure they're designed to work that way if they are (to a point). The connector is pretty obvious so you'll see it. I'd just pull the wheels and clean 'em up. You've got nothing to lose and other than a little time it's free.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Luftd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both my front wheel/hub carriers on the bench at the moment and the amount of grime the sensors have accumulated is minimal and nothing has been cleaned since it left the factory. I would not use anything acidic to clean it as the aluminium carrier will not thank you for it especially around where the sensor comes through. A brush, WD-40 or ACF-50 and a compressed air blower gun will do the job.
As others have said do not attempt to remove the sensor unless you know it is kaputt. The M6 capped bolts holding it will snap easier than a match stick just for starters (well both mine did anyway!).
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Jacked the car up, unplugged the left front sensor, cleaned out the connector (it was pretty clean as is). No change in behavior.

Looked at The ABS computer, relays R65 and R68, ABS pump. Nothing obvious. When the key is turned to ON position the ABS pump sometimes makes noise for 10-15 seconds, sometime doesn't. Sounds like it's trying to pump. Not sure what that means.

Any ideas on what to look for next?
Old 05-24-2014, 04:28 PM
mjsorl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently found an issue with my ABS warning light and then my speedometer as well as odometer.
First the odometer went out, replaced the large geared wheel everyone talks about then the small gear that should have come the 1st time (I hate Ebay sometimes). Then back at Christmas right after a small house fire, (garage never got touched) the odometer stopped, the speedometer both digital and dial and the abs light went on constantly, it had been intermittent for a while, as the car was never driven much. So being the intrepid genius I am I had to find the answer, being one to stay away from a dealer and the local indie went out of biz. I came to these pages and I heard a lot of different things about the speedometer and speed sensors and wires and was as usual confused.
1. The speed sensor on a 95 with a trip, there are 2 and they are located next to the shock towers / axel area, one on the right wheel one on the left, not on magnets on the trans.
2. I had replaced my brake sensors last fall and I could not figure out what the other "plug in was to" now I know the speed sensor.
3. I am in the process of ordering new speed sensors as well as some other items, I will post when this is done. Maybe even put a picture up as I was confused and that may help others as these units are approaching 20 years.
4. Ordering the 2 pieces for the odometer and replacing them also.
Maybe in 2 to 3 weeks will bring it back out into the sunlight.

I do love this site.
Thank you all for my education.

mjsorl
a proud owner of a 993 that others (4) never took care of, putting it back one piece at a time, enjoying (sometimes) as I do. 96900 and counting.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:06 PM
rocket930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default abs

had the same problem
take the plug off the abs control
and see if there is water there
it will mess with speedo and abs
Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 AM
mjsorl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The speed sensor on the drivers side has a nasty crack, hidden in with the grime and dirt, so now we sit and wait for departs to come in, thanks.
I have tried, not real hard to move the sensor as it is plugged into the receiver on the front unit and it seems stuck, won't do a thing till I have the parts.

Thanks, Mike Smith

Quick Reply: ABS and speedometer issue