993 Forum 1995-1998

Update on '95 LWF Stalling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
I have heard good and bad stories about the Andial MW flywheel .. some folks say it's very noisy, but I've heard the same complaints about the RS factory FW as well .. what's your experience? Is that the flywheel you have in your 4S? Why do you have an extra Midweight NIB? (nosey .. )
The 4s has an RS LWF, as does the cab. I bought the Andial at the peak of my frustration with the RS LWF in the cab, before changing chips. I was told that Andial was making a limited run and I got it in case I had to yank out the RS out of frustration. Then, upon changing chips, I was satisfied with the performance of the RS. As we know, this really only an issue with the 95s. The 4s is a 96. The RS in both cars are noisy, depending on your definition of noisy. I don't mind the increased noise in neutral, but others do apparently. Never heard that complaint about the MWF, which isn't to say it isn't true -- just that I hadn't heard of it.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Thanks, but I'll stay stock when I do this.

I really love the feel of the LWF and would rather put up with a few compromises in order to gain from it's benefits. The dual mass flywheel has it's own benefits and compromises. In fact, the weight of a flywheel is a compromise in and of itself and where you end up is based on what your preferences are. But, I'm not saying anything you don't already know....
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. My new to me 97 has a DMF while my 95 has a LWF. The only drawback for me of the LWF is increased noise. It's a worthwhile tradeoff for an engine that revs more quickly and makes it much easier to match revs on downshifts. The reduction in overall weight is a nice side benefit. Plus, it enhances reliability. The MWF is another solution, but IMHO only provides half the benefit.

When it's clutch time on the 97, I'll make the change to that car too.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inkatouring,
Just curious, how much are you asking for the MWF? I have a 95 and will be doing a clutch in the near future. I am probably going to get the LWF kit from fister's shop but I like the idea of having NOT having stalling issues.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm open to reasonable offers. I don't recall the retail price, but I think something around 80 percent of that plus shipping is fair.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 226 Posts

I have a '95 with rs lwf and I've had it for almost 8yrs. It's my dd and I have 140k miles on the clock and I've been on the rs lwf for 60k miles with NO stalling. Ever.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by os993
I have a '95 with rs lwf and I've had it for almost 8yrs. It's my dd and I have 140k miles on the clock and I've been on the rs lwf for 60k miles with NO stalling. Ever.
My car has 162k and it will only stall at a specific temperature, right as the needle moves off of the cold pin. And then only if I don't heel toe downshift. Love the LWF...
Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
My car has 162k and it will only stall at a specific temperature, right as the needle moves off of the cold pin. And then only if I don't heel toe downshift. Love the LWF...
Thats' interesting as the most likely time for my engine to stall is about 5 minutes after leaving the house.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Originally Posted by matt777
Thats' interesting as the most likely time for my engine to stall is about 5 minutes after leaving the house.

Interesting. I couldn't make mine stall when the engine is cold if I wanted it to!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM
matt777
Drifting

I spoke with Steve Wong yesterday (911 Chips) and had a very interesting conversation. He does have a few "tweaks" in his back pocket but is waiting feedback from recent upgrade recipients before he can make recommendations. Basically he reiterated what we see on the forum here. Many people have no problems while others struggle. It seems the only issue I have to deal with now is the occasional hunting at idle.

Last edited by matt777; 06-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

There is no cure, fix, or chip that will fix the 95 LWF issue and stalling. I spent years addressing the problem with some of the leading experts, including both Steve W's--Wong and Weiner. German engineers who worked for Porsche---been down a very detailed path from check sum errors with a few chips to stalling.

Think Im about 7 or 8 years into my LWF with multiple ISV cleans, 4 chips, and you name it, I have probably done it. For about a year, it mind F#$%'ed with me because I was always thinking about a stall when driving.

Most of my driving is wide open freeways with no traffic or streets where 45-50mph is standard. No stop and go traffic, which would only add to the complexity of stalling.

Stalling occurs more when when the lights and/or AC is on.

The only cure is just to live with it or go to back to the DMF.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
For about a year, it mind F#$%'ed with me because I was always thinking about a stall when driving.
That sums up my feelings exactly. For a daily driver this was unacceptable to me.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
ETW
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With an aftermarket ECU you could fix this right? Like Motec
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Once my clutch goes, the DMF is going back in. I wont even give the LWF away---it will make a good door stop.

Over 70% (do a search on the topic) of all LFW on 95's stall---I believe that # is much higher because I believe others wont admit it because when it comes time to sell, Rennlist is a small world. Who wants to buy a car that stalls? Not me.

Granted I have been a 993 owner for 9 years and enjoy my ride but I would not recommend a LWF to anyone who is your average street driver, such as myself. I have learned to adapt to the stall but it still happens now and then. There is no rhyme or reason why it stalls some times. On occassion, its a back to back to back stall---3x in a row within seconds of each other. Its unpredictable. That hasnt happened in some time but its happened a few times.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Gary Perry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread as I just had a discussion with my mechanic (DJ @ Don Jackson) here in Phoenix. He told me he didn't think it was worth the drivability problems that it causes with stalling. He also said they have done several replacements of LWF packages for DMF after the 993 owners found out it was a pain to drive on Phoenix streets with the the LWF.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ETW
With an aftermarket ECU you could fix this right? Like Motec
In my case, 4 aftermarket ECU's from 3 different manufactures has not resolved the stalling issue.

There comes a point where you just say F it and live with it. I gave up about 5 years ago after a $7k trip to the shop (60k tune, MO30's. HDs, ISV cleaned, lowered between RS and Sport, you name it, it was tuned, replaced, or rebuilt) I made it 1 block and my car stalled. Thats when you want to put your fist through the windshield!

The good news is my Bronco, which has been in the shop for about 2 months getting every eek, leak, and squeek fixed. 23 gal steel fuel tank, rebuilt steering column, and a few other misc items done, will be back on the road just in time for summer!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Update on '95 LWF Stalling Issues