Sponsored by:

Fan pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fan pulley

I'm getting ready to have some work done on my 993 and going over the things I wanted done, I was told that the one piece fan pulley upgrade will lower the RPM for the alternator and that’s not a good thing. Is that correct? I do not remember reading anything about that. My indy suggests staying with the current 2 piece and shims. I thought the one piece pulley was the more "current" replacement to an outdated design?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even the single belt RS pulley system uses shims for belt adjustment. It does underdrive the alternator however there are plenty of guys here that have gone down this route without any adverse effects.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Either you or your mechanic are getting some thing wrong. The pulley "update" is merely new pulley halves with an integrated spacer. This does not affect the speed of the fan or alt.

The rs pulley drives the alt. And fan on the same belt at the same speed, which can cause slight undercharging.

The update however will not give you any charging problems
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Well said Quad.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Either you or your mechanic are getting some thing wrong. The pulley "update" is merely new pulley halves with an integrated spacer. This does not affect the speed of the fan or alt.

The rs pulley drives the alt. And fan on the same belt at the same speed, which can cause slight undercharging.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

The rs pulley drives the alt. and fan on the same belt at the same speed, which can cause slight undercharging.

Correct.

Andreas
Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I once fell on a 993 with the pulley update done wrong. They installed one updated pulley half on the outside.
The updated pulley with the spacer in one piece, should be installed in 2 pieces. IE you need 2 updated pulley halves not just the outer part.
If you use only one half new, and leave the other old half, the belt sits very high on the lip of the pulley. Which
gives the impression that the alt is going to turn slower.
regards

Quick Reply: Fan pulley