Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

After 14 years with my 993, I've finally added a second (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree that the 993 spoils you. This is my sixth Porsche and it blows all the others away.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Awesome Congrats!

I'm just curious as to why another NB car instead of an S or C4S?

Cam
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments

Cam, to answer your question - and this is NOT a knock on the WB cars which are also great - I just prefer the dynamics of the "base" normally aspirated C2. I find that the NB cars are a bit more nimble and understeer a bit less than their WB brothers. And I prefer the steering, clutch, and shifter feel of the C2 over the C4 variants (C4, C4S, and turbo). The controls have a bit more feel IMHO. This is one of those rare times in life where the "cheaper" iteration is my favorite.

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Joe...best of luck with your #2.

Could you elaborate your response to your question in your first post. "Why 2 similar 993s? Because these cars have pretty much ruined every other car (south of $70K) for me."

Just wondering if the cars are different or if you see different uses for each. I know....One 993 is great. Two 993s are even better. But there must be something that you are not telling us.

Enjoy them both.

Mark
Thanks Mark. As you can see from my sig, my 95 is pretty highly evolved and though it looks relatively stock. I've upgraded the car to where it's just how I want it - save a sunroof delete and maybe an extra 30hp. As a result, it's a little less comfortable to use as a driver and I'm apprehensive to leave it unattended as some of the parts I've added to the car (g50/31, sport seats, etc) are not easy or cheap to replace. Plus, there's the sentimental issue of owning the car for so long. I've put a lot of myself into it.

The arena red car is more comfortable as a driver and being mostly stock easier to replace. That's the theory anyway

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Joe,
That's fantastic! I'd love to add a high-mileage early-build '95 to the roster one day.

Andreas
Andreas, that was my original plan! However, this car came along at not much more of a premium over a high mileage car. So the choice to buy it was uh....logical.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
I am curious to get your thoughts on the differences you feel with the standard suspension of your new car compared to what you have on your old car? I'm starting to dip my toe into the "I want to modify my suspension" posts....lots of options of course. I really like how my car rides and I don't want to lose that...what I'd like to improve is its cornering ability and of course lower the car a bit. I seem to be leaning towards to M033 with Koni FSDs. Just wondering what your impressions are driving both cars back-to-back?
Night and day. To answer your question, as I was driving the Arena Red car home on the interstate, I thought to myself what a nice ride it had. Once I hit the 300 mile (yes 300!) set of twisties through Montana and Idaho, I thought how soft the car felt. Just the opposite with the Adventurine Green car. I'd encourage you at talk to Mark or Darin at FD Motorsports. They've got a lot of experience with different set-ups. I love the KWs on my 95 but they are stiffer than stock even on full soft. If you want to maintain the factory ride, Konis might be a good bet. FWIW, I had an M030/Bilstein HD setup before the KWs which I hated (way too much compression dampening). However, Mark tells me this set-up works better on cabs. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by mike cap
Nice car, a great color and NO REAR WIPER !!
Is that good or bad?

Originally Posted by Bonster
You are a very lucky man! The good thing is you seem to know it, which puts me at ease knowing there are two more loved.and well-maintained 993s on the road.
Oh yes. 14 years of bliss with more to come.

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Joe, congrats on having multiple 993s and I TOTALLY agree with your comment on ruining anything else!
I certainly wouldn't mind a Carrera GT for the third spot on my garage. You are a lucky man!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Congrats on the new car, Joe! You're hard-core. Please let us know how the "no mod" ethos works out for you.
Thanks Mark. As I driving home it struck me how wrong the stock gearing is. It took me out of my out of my rhythm in the twisties. Also, a LWF really makes a difference, my heel and toe rhythm is off. Fortunately or unfortunately - depending how I look at it - gearing mods are cost prohibitive. I'm gonna try to keep her stock. We'll see how I do. On the plus side it already has varioram and no basket handle to delete. So I've got that going for me........

Originally Posted by MarkD
Oh, I know how this will end...

Congratulations again Joe... really nice catch. I'm jealous on many levels and hope I can get into another 993 before too long... My version of a "driver" might be a notch or two below yours though

Dude, those bugs... yikes!
Yes, I know. See above. I'm about to email you with my first order.

A notch or two below, yeah right! You and I are the same and when it's time I predict you'll end up right where I did

Originally Posted by Zed.
Joe,
You did the right thing by rescuing that beauty. Drive it daily, as it promotes good health! As you can see i did the same thing recently, doubling up on 993s. Its a stress reliever when taken in daily doses!
-Zed
I will. Nice stable BTW.

Originally Posted by levtron
Nice pair... Always a nice pair...

Quick question.. Why is the grey sunroof a different color?
That's Adventurine Green and it's a lighting thing. They really are the same color.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Just saw this. Congrats Joe!

Quick Reply: After 14 years with my 993, I've finally added a second (with pics)